Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:37 am

captaincolly wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:will it get thousands of 'likes'?

About 2 so far!

New must have for Christmas
https://www.lorimers4cricket.co.uk/stor ... -p96534500
For the season of goodwill I'll personally sponsor the cost of FTECB printed on the back.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5205
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:38 am

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:will it get thousands of 'likes'?

About 2 so far!

New must have for Christmas
https://www.lorimers4cricket.co.uk/stor ... -p96534500
For the season of goodwill I'll personally sponsor the cost of FTECB printed on the back.

Good idea!
captaincolly
 
Posts: 22137
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:12 pm

now that the, seemingly, national outrage at the sanctions against Durham a year ago, has presumably settled down, it'll be interesting to see what happens to the number of membership packages sold ahead of next season. IIRC, membership sales were up by 20% last year in response. Will it fall this year, I wonder, and by how much?

Jason Roy (if the rumour was true) and Arthur Crabtree bought concessionary memberships last year (gawd bless them both). I have it in my head that Arthur paid £50, but the cheapest price this year appears to be £135..... which seems expensive.
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 29909
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC
I've given up football

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:35 pm

I think there's sure to be a drop-off. Onfield performances were by and large hopeless and that combined with the loss of the 'goodwill' renewals probably means we'll go back to the normal levels of membership. Even some of the diehards were complaining about the performances this year - those types will renew regardless but I bet a lot of others won't.
And if there isn't a dramatic improvement next season we'll probably shed a good few more members.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 22137
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:41 pm

captaincolly wrote:I think there's sure to be a drop-off. Onfield performances were by and large hopeless and that combined with the loss of the 'goodwill' renewals probably means we'll go back to the normal levels of membership. Even some of the diehards were complaining about the performances this year - those types will renew regardless but I bet a lot of others won't.
And if there isn't a dramatic improvement next season we'll probably shed a good few more members.

I'd imagine a disproportionate number of members are in the senior category and a large number of those gold category I.e. 5 year membership with that offer currently expiring. Over that 5 year period many will have ceased attending because of increasing age or infirmity; it's only this forthcoming season, however, that it'll have a financial impact. Half the home CC fixtures taking place in Spring is hardly an incentive but there's little the club can do about that. What they can do ,however, is inform lapsed membership of any efforts they are making to improve the playing squad for next season.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5205
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:46 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:I think there's sure to be a drop-off. Onfield performances were by and large hopeless and that combined with the loss of the 'goodwill' renewals probably means we'll go back to the normal levels of membership. Even some of the diehards were complaining about the performances this year - those types will renew regardless but I bet a lot of others won't.
And if there isn't a dramatic improvement next season we'll probably shed a good few more members.

I'd imagine a disproportionate number of members are in the senior category and a large number of those gold category I.e. 5 year membership with that offer currently expiring. Over that 5 year period many will have ceased attending because of his increasing age or infirmity; it's only this forthcoming season, however, that it'll have a financial impact. Half the home CC fixtures taking place in Spring is hardly an incentive but there's little the club can do about that. What they can do ,however, is inform lapsed membership if any efforts they are making to improve the playing squad for next season.

Yep. I think they have work to do - in trying to strengthen and making it clear they are actively doing so.
The points deduction last year was a legitimate excuse for struggling and we then had that period where things seemed to be gelling in the 4 day game only to have a very poor finish. It'll be interesting to see if the T20 attendances hold up - it was visibly busier this year but the performances were almost unbelievably bad so there's a very good chance attendances will go down.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 22137
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:45 am

I paid £135 I think. I reckon there was about £15 off because I booked early. Maybe prices are the same.
2012-13 SL vs NZ combined fantasy guru

I always say that everybody's right.
User avatar
Arthur Crabtree
 
Posts: 54036
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:52 pm
Location: Nottingham
Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire/New England.

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:15 pm

more than i thought, Arthur... well done, and thank you. £135 is the early bird price this time
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 29909
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC
I've given up football

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:35 pm

What a surprise - Paul Coughlin injured again! This time he managed to do it before the match had started. Queensland scoring almost 400 suggests Wood will have had a decent workout.
http://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/1 ... queensland
captaincolly
 
Posts: 22137
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:47 pm

captaincolly wrote:What a surprise - Paul Coughlin injured again! This time he managed to do it before the match had started. Queensland scoring almost 400 suggests Wood will have had a decent workout.
http://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/1 ... queensland

I misread the article - Coughlin injured during the first session and then replaced as the match does not have first class status.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 22137
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:18 am

Stokes off to NZ according to George Dobell.
"Ben Stokes has been granted a No Objection Certificate by the ECB and is free to play in New Zealand this weekend if he agrees terms with a team. His plans were not arranged by the ECB and are understood to have come as a bit of a surprise".
westoelad
 
Posts: 5205
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:07 am

westoelad
 
Posts: 5205
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby andy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:48 am

So it seems that the ECB haven't fully forgiven Stokes....he should be punished accordingly...but it wouldn't suprise me if he turned up in OZ at some point during the series...
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests


Essex CCC county champions
andy
 
Posts: 16158
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Essex
Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:20 am

andy wrote:So it seems that the ECB haven't fully forgiven Stokes....he should be punished accordingly...but it wouldn't suprise me if he turned up in OZ at some point during the series...

I suppose the ECB have to stuck to their decision that he won't be considered for England until the police investigation followed by their own disciplinary procedure are both completed.

Whether they should have made that decision in the first place is another matter - why could they not have left their options more open and retained him in the original squad. Doing so might also have given the police an incentive to get this investigation over and done with before the team left for Australia.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 22137
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:10 pm

captaincolly wrote:
andy wrote:So it seems that the ECB haven't fully forgiven Stokes....he should be punished accordingly...but it wouldn't suprise me if he turned up in OZ at some point during the series...

I suppose the ECB have to stuck to their decision that he won't be considered for England until the police investigation followed by their own disciplinary procedure are both completed.


Whether they should have made that decision in the first place is another matter - why could they not have left their options more open and retained him in the original squad. Doing so might also have given the police an incentive to get this investigation over and done with before the team left for Australia.


You have to wonder what would have happened had the Sun not got hold of that video. At most a police caution a few days after the incident ,I suspect, and the incident now forgotten with Stokes part of the Ashes set up. I'm in no way condoning Stokes' action but nor will I condemn him until I know all the facts. It 's pretty obvious now that the police and CPS are each passing the buck waiting for the other to make the decision knowing that whichever way it goes there'll be criticism from the media. That equates to the media influencing the justice system and that should be a big concern to all.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5205
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests