Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:49 pm

Had Woakes been fit I doubt that Wood makes the test team. Seems ridiculous that the importance of Lions fixtures is always trumpeted by FTECB yet when it comes to prospects needed to step up we don't have anyone ready to do so. Surprise, Surprise! Yet another FTECB cock up. Obviously Wood needs to be replaced and an additional problem is there's no one playing red ball cricket. Der, we never thought of that :d'oh: FTECB.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:53 pm

westoelad wrote:Had Woakes been fit I doubt that Wood makes the test team. Seems ridiculous that the importance of Lions fixtures is always trumpeted by FTECB yet when it comes to prospects needed to step up we don't have anyone ready to do so. Surprise, Surprise! Yet another FTECB cock up. Obviously Wood needs to be replaced and an additional problem is there's no one playing red ball cricket. Der, we never thought of that :d'oh: FTECB.

Yep. According to Lawrence Booth Woakes is unlikely to be considered at this stage because there are no red ball games for him to prove his fitness!
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby captaincolly » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:01 pm

Other issue that is always there with Wood is what happens if he loses his central contract. Last year Lewis said we had the funds to retain him in the event of him losing the England deal but he's said a few things that turned out to be wrong.
Lack of major signings over the Winter and the usual problems trying to replace an overseas player ( other counties seem to find it relatively straightforward ) suggests to me money is still tight.
On balance I think Wood will retain his England deal because they want him to play a big role in the Ashes but you never know what FTECB will do.
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:11 pm

captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:Had Woakes been fit I doubt that Wood makes the test team. Seems ridiculous that the importance of Lions fixtures is always trumpeted by FTECB yet when it comes to prospects needed to step up we don't have anyone ready to do so. Surprise, Surprise! Yet another FTECB cock up. Obviously Wood needs to be replaced and an additional problem is there's no one playing red ball cricket. Der, we never thought of that :d'oh: FTECB.

Yep. According to Lawrence Booth Woakes is unlikely to be considered at this stage because there are no red ball games for him to prove his fitness!

Scheduling the Lions v S. Africa A series for July rather than June would have alleviated that problem! Additionally would have meant players involved would have missed a couple of T20's rather than championship fixtures.
westoelad

Postby westoelad » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:14 pm

captaincolly wrote:Other issue that is always there with Wood is what happens if he loses his central contract. Last year Lewis said we had the funds to retain him in the event of him losing the England deal but he's said a few things that turned out to be wrong.
Lack of major signings over the Winter and the usual problems trying to replace an overseas player ( other counties seem to find it relatively straightforward ) suggests to me money is still tight.
On balance I think Wood will retain his England deal because they want him to play a big role in the Ashes but you never know what FTECB will do.

Knowing what FTECB would do is a frightening thought!
westoelad

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:15 pm

FTECB!
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby captaincolly » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:19 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Other issue that is always there with Wood is what happens if he loses his central contract. Last year Lewis said we had the funds to retain him in the event of him losing the England deal but he's said a few things that turned out to be wrong.

Knowing what FTECB would do is a frightening thought!

:lol: You're right! We're better off not knowing what disastrous ideas they have in mind!
Durhamfootman wrote:FTECB!

:thumb
captaincolly

Postby wearside willow » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:10 pm

captaincolly wrote:
andy wrote:Think you guys will have Mark Wood back pretty soon

So do I unless he starts getting wickets. According to one of the newspapers today England still regard him as a key player for the Ashes but may well rest him from the Windies series. If his form doesn't pick up it might be a long rest!
According to Ottis Gibson he's had a sore heel in this match and that's a reason his pace has been down here. Still questions to be answered about his ability to maintain pace /fitness throughout a series.

I watched him bowl in that first championship match of the season against notts and his pace was way down. I put it down to easing himself back into things, but in that match compared to Pattinson and even Ball he looked meduim pace.
You have probably seen more of him than any of us this season does he look like he may have lost that yard of pace?

The other problem with Woody is that he has spent so much time injured over the years nobody actually knows that much about him. Whether he can bowl regularly at 90mph or is that just an occasional spell here and there.
wearside willow

Postby wearside willow » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:18 pm

They have played half the county championship schedule though so the players have played plenty of championship cricket. I think the problem is the usual one county cricket is full of meduim pacers and England are crying out for a bowler with pace, that why they are pinning their hopes on Wood.
wearside willow

Postby captaincolly » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:27 pm

wearside willow wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

So do I unless he starts getting wickets. According to one of the newspapers today England still regard him as a key player for the Ashes but may well rest him from the Windies series. If his form doesn't pick up it might be a long rest!
According to Ottis Gibson he's had a sore heel in this match and that's a reason his pace has been down here. Still questions to be answered about his ability to maintain pace /fitness throughout a series.

I watched him bowl in that first championship match of the season against notts and his pace was way down. I put it down to easing himself back into things, but in that match compared to Pattinson and even Ball he looked meduim pace.
You have probably seen more of him than any of us this season does he look like he may have lost that yard of pace?

The other problem with Woody is that he has spent so much time injured over the years nobody actually knows that much about him. Whether he can bowl regularly at 90mph or is that just an occasional spell here and there.

I thought the same thing in the Notts match - first game back so would be rusty. I think that's the only time I've seen him live this year-can't remember him playing any other games at the Riverside but if he did he mustn't have done anything memorable!
Speed wise I thought he looked OK on TV in the first test and maybe just a bit out of luck but he's looked innocuous in the current game.
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:33 pm

wearside willow wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

I'm not sure that anyone can or should try to bowl regularly at 90 mph. Anyone capable of bowling at that speed should be used in short spells maybe 3x5 per day. Not sure England have the resources to use Wood that way especially in back to back tests.
westoelad

Postby wearside willow » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:36 pm

Yes he has looked very ordinary in this test match.
wearside willow

Postby captaincolly » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:39 pm

After the match today when Ottis Gibson was interviewed , Sky were showing Wood bowling at Lords where his pace was pretty good - he was landing heel first. In this match he is planting his foot down flat & Ottis said that's because he has a sore heel and implied that change in delivery stride is why his pace is down.
I suppose the question is - is the heel injury just a niggle or is yet another major concern that he struggles with back to back tests let alone a full test series?
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:58 pm

captaincolly wrote:After the match today when Ottis Gibson was interviewed , Sky were showing Wood bowling at Lords where his pace was pretty good - he was landing heel first. In this match he is planting his foot down flat & Ottis said that's because he has a sore heel and implied that change in delivery stride is why his pace is down.
I suppose the question is - is the heel injury just a niggle or is yet another major concern that he struggles with back to back tests let alone a full test series?

Seems the England physios went to the same finishing school as Wor Nige.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:01 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:After the match today when Ottis Gibson was interviewed , Sky were showing Wood bowling at Lords where his pace was pretty good - he was landing heel first. In this match he is planting his foot down flat & Ottis said that's because he has a sore heel and implied that change in delivery stride is why his pace is down.

Seems the England physios went to the same finishing school as Wor Nige.

:lmao Yep!
captaincolly

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket