Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:53 am

Aidan11 wrote:Kent were able to offer him what he wanted and Durham wouldn't budge on the one year offer.

He's been a good servant. Good luck to him.

On second thoughts though - would Kent give him 2 years plus a guaranteed coaching role at the end of it? Presumably they must have but it seems strange then why they would be prepared to take that risk whereas Durham were not.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:55 am

st_brendy wrote:I read this morning that he was off to Lancs? (They won't have Jarvis next season, I think?)

I hadn't heard of that but Lancs would probably be a more tempting move for him. Again though would they offer two years plus the coaching role? The answer must be yes but seems a big commitment / guarantee for any club.
captaincolly

Postby Aidan11 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:27 pm

captaincolly wrote:
Aidan11 wrote:Kent were able to offer him what he wanted and Durham wouldn't budge on the one year offer.

On second thoughts though - would Kent give him 2 years plus a guaranteed coaching role at the end of it? Presumably they must have but it seems strange then why they would be prepared to take that risk whereas Durham were not.

It was a good source at the club who said he was going to Kent. They've offered him exactly what he wanted. This guy is usually spot on with what he says but not always. Seemed confident though.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:40 pm

Aidan11 wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

It was a good source at the club who said he was going to Kent. They've offered him exactly what he wanted. This guy is usually spot on with what he says but not always. Seemed confident though.

I'm sure he will be right - it must be a case of him wanting to match an existing offer. In that case his 'demands' can't have been too unreasonable because at least one other club thought they were fair terms.
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:53 pm

It's water under the bridge now. He could have been an expensive liability if he had a 2 year unconditional contract and presumably Kent, if it's true, have a bowling coach vacancy.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:59 pm

westoelad wrote:It's water under the bridge now. He could have been an expensive liability if he had a 2 year unconditional contract and presumably Kent, if it's true, have a bowling coach vacancy.

Yeah, can see why Durham decided they couldn't match the offer. Just hope they can use the funds freed up by the various departures to make some good signings - although it might not be easy to persuade players of the right calibre to join given we are looking very vulnerable right now.
captaincolly

Postby wearside willow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:25 pm

So the departures this season are which have been confirmed by the club
1.Coughlin
2.Onions
3.Hickey
Not confirmed by the club but appear to have gone
4.Arshad
5.Main
And also looks very likely the following is gone
6.Jennings
So with the 3 lads signing new one year deals I believe that only leaves Colly then Harding and Coughlin jnr who are on a development contract who are technically out of contract.

Does that appear about right or have I missed anyone
wearside willow

Postby westoelad » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:46 pm

wearside willow wrote:So the departures this season are which have been confirmed by the club
1.Coughlin
2.Onions
3.Hickey
4.Arshad
5.Main
6.Jennings
So with the 3 lads signing new one year deals I believe that only leaves Colly then Harding and Coughlin jnr who are on a development contract who are technically out of contract.

Aren't development contracts for 2 years?
Harte is now out of contract and I certainly think Harding is now out of favour if not out of contract. What is alarming is we now have only 12 full time professionals plus Josh Coughlin.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:47 pm

wearside willow wrote:So the departures this season are which have been confirmed by the club
1.Coughlin
2.Onions
3.Hickey
4.Arshad
5.Main
6.Jennings

It's hard to keep track but I think that's right! No idea if it's true or not but someone who is usually correct told be Harding was going too - I neglected to ask if he was just guessing or had been told something.
captaincolly

Postby wearside willow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:30 pm

Development contracts can only be given for a maximum of 6 months although you can stay on one for more than one season.
I forgot about harte the lad has not really been given an opportunity without actually doing anything wrong for the 2nds.
It would appear to me that even with the salary restrictions imposed on Durham they must have a fair bit of scope to sign players and still be comfortable inside the budget.
wearside willow

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:44 pm

wearside willow wrote:Development contracts can only be given for a maximum of 6 months although you can stay on one for more than one season.
I forgot about harte the lad has not really been given an opportunity without actually doing anything wrong for the 2nds.
It would appear to me that even with the salary restrictions imposed on Durham they must have a fair bit of scope to sign and still be comfortable inside the budget.

I think so, they must be well under the cap. Trouble might be in finding players who are both good enough and willing to sign - the best ones who might be on the move are likely to have better options. It's why I'm still in two minds over Onions - can they be confident of using the money to bring in the right replacement?
Wood might be the next one to give the club a tricky choice to make - he'll be very lucky if his central contract is renewed.
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:13 pm

st_brendy wrote:I read this morning that he was off to Lancs? (They won't have Jarvis next season, I think?)

Tim Wellock also reckons he'll join Lancs.
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... om_Durham/
captaincolly

Postby wearside willow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:36 pm

i think there are a few counties who could give Onions a 2 year deal and if he breaks down and say does not play much in the 2nd year have the economic strength to shrug it off. There are also a few counties who probably couldn't take that risk and Durham are probably in that 2nd camp.
wearside willow

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:50 pm

Aidan11 wrote:He's been a good servant. Good luck to him.

:thumb

but we made the right decision
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:59 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
Aidan11 wrote:He's been a good servant. Good luck to him.

:thumb

but we made the right decision

Hope so! Provided we bring in a proven strike bowler to replace him - thing that concerns me is we haven't made any major domestic signings since Blackwell. Just have to wonder if the people negotiating these deals are up to it - lost Coggers, Bunny and probably Jennings and kept Poynter, Pringle and Burnham!
captaincolly

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket