Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:25 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:Financial impropriety, enforced relegation, additional points deductions, players flooding for the exit, stands collapsing, players involved in punch ups whilst on England duty, players taking drugs... all these things just serve to give the impression that the club is falling apart. Given that we need investors and sponsors more than ever before, It's hard to see why anyone would want to invest in Durham CCC after the way the last 12 months have gone.

Or indeed established players joining the club.
westoelad

Postby Durhamfootman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:30 pm

precisely
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby captaincolly » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:58 pm

I know the 'loyalty' argument is fundamentally flawed because clubs release players who are deemed surplus to requirements or , in the case of Onions , choose to let them go rather than meeting contract terms but...when those sanctions were applied Colly said they were essentially a two year punishment so would it have been too much to ask for the club and senior players to agree to stick together for two years? If we kept the bulk of the first team squad and made a couple of signings there was every chance the current crisis could have been avoided. We could well have made a return to div 1 for the 2019 season. Might still do it but a prolonged spell in div 2 seems more likely and - as DFM & WL have said - it will be hard to generate investment , retain players and make any big signings.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:22 pm

Stokes gets central contract renewed. There's some stability for you.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby captaincolly » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:54 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Stokes gets central contract renewed. There's some stability for you.

Now Clark and Richardson have signed contract extensions " until 2019" Does that mean until the end of the 2019 season or just for next year? Richardson needs a good year but Clark's age and promise shown should have warranted a longer deal imo-if he continues to improve other clubs will be after him.
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:04 pm

They are 2 year extensions - until the end of the 2019 season.
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:08 pm

captaincolly wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Stokes gets central contract renewed. There's some stability for you.

Now Clark and Richardson have signed contract extensions " until 2019" Does that mean until the end of the 2019 season or just for next year? Richardson needs a good year but Clark's age and promise shown should have warranted a longer deal imo-if he continues to improve other clubs will be after him.

Of more interest from the Durham financial situation is whether Wood gets his central contact renewed- they're due to be announced tomorrow. Certainly like to see McCarthy tied long term, bit wary regarding Weighell and Carse. Emphasises the need to sign a couple of experienced seamers
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:21 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

Of more interest from the Durham financial situation is whether Wood gets his central contact renewed- they're due to be announced tomorrow. Certainly like to see McCarthy tied long term, bit wary regarding Weighell and Carse. Emphasises the need to sign a couple of experienced seamers

Yep, will be a tricky decision to make if Wood's deal isn't renewed and I think it probably won't be. Agree about McCarthy and reservations over Weighell and Carse - although the latter might be very useful as a batsman if that part of his game develops.
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:31 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... ngland-ecb

Wood contract downgraded to a white ball one but Durham say they won't have a problem paying his wages.
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Wood's latest injury is a direct result of FTECB insisting he played back to back tests. They should, therfore, be honour bound to renew his contract but I suspect FTECB don't do "honour".
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:45 pm

westoelad wrote:Wood's latest injury is a direct result of FTECB insisting he played back to back tests. They should, therfore, be honour bound to renew his contract but I suspect FTECB don't do "honour".

Yep. And it's not the first time they have damaged him.
captaincolly

Postby wearside willow » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:47 pm

Positive news about Clark and Richardson. As far a Wood goes he must becoming very close to making a decision about his future in the game. Personally i think he should concentrate on one day cricket especially after this Ashes series. It may prolong his career but I wouldn't hold my breath sadly.
wearside willow

Postby captaincolly » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:15 pm

wearside willow wrote:Positive news about Clark and Richardson. As far a Wood goes he must becoming very close to making a decision about his future in the game. Personally i think he should concentrate on one day cricket especially after this Ashes series. It may prolong his career but I wouldn't hold my breath sadly.

It's hard to be confident he will suddenly get over the injury problems. This must be the crunch time - if the heel injury is just unfortunate and not related to other problems perhaps there is hope but the next prolonged absence could be his last.
Ironically he is probably more of a risk injury wise than Onions! It'd be just typical if Bunny stays fit and takes a stack of wickets while Woody hardly features.
captaincolly

Postby southwood » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:20 pm

I've heard that Usman Arshad has been released/contract not renewed.
southwood

Postby wearside willow » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:25 pm

captaincolly wrote:
wearside willow wrote:Positive news about Clark and Richardson. As far a Wood goes he must becoming very close to making a decision about his future in the game. Personally i think he should concentrate on one day cricket especially after this Ashes series. It may prolong his career but I wouldn't hold my breath sadly.

It's hard to be confident he will suddenly get over the injury problems. This must be the crunch time - if the heel injury is just unfortunate and not related to other problems perhaps there is hope but the next prolonged absence could be his last.
Ironically he is probably more of a risk injury wise than Onions! It'd be just typical if Bunny stays fit and takes a stack of wickets while Woody hardly features.

Wood has sadly played very little cricket in the 10 years he has been at the club. Just one of those things i suppose with an explosive bowling action like that his body is just not up to the stresses and strains. Probably why you see very few bowlers of that style in county cricket when you are expected to play up to 15 championship matches in six months.
wearside willow

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket