Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:46 pm

captaincolly wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:Dawson will lose his place to Woakes

Woody's USP is his pace, and without it England's attack would be very 'samey'

Report on Twitter that Woakes will likely miss the full series so that might be good news for Wood when TRJ comes into the equation.
Holding on commentary mentioned that Woody is bowling with pace but for some reason is not getting any movement.

The worrying thing for England is that the present attack looks ineffective but the lack of alternatives is reflected in the selection of Dawson. Pretty certain Wood will therefore be in the squad for the final 2 tests. In any case I'd like Durham to stick with the current four plus Arshad when the CC resumes. Bunny's figures for the 2nds are distinctly unimpressive so I fear we've seen the last of him. He'll free up a heavy wedge in wages to find a replacement or that quality spinner.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:02 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:Dawson will lose his place to Woakes

Woody's USP is his pace, and without it England's attack would be very 'samey'

Report on Twitter that Woakes will likely miss the full series so that might be good news for Wood when TRJ comes into the equation.
Holding on commentary mentioned that Woody is bowling with pace but for some reason is not getting any movement.

The worrying thing for England is that the present attack looks ineffective but the lack of alternatives is reflected in the selection of Dawson. Pretty certain Wood will therefore be in the squad for the final 2 tests. In any case I'd like Durham to stick with the current four plus Arshad when the CC resumes. Bunny's figures for the 2nds are distinctly unimpressive so I fear we've seen the last of him. He'll free up a heavy wedge in wages to find a replacement or that quality spinner.

I agree with you. Wood surely will come good. And Onions will have to go if he isn't showing signs of regaining his best form.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:34 pm

Harmy was on telly last night to talk about his book 'speed demons' in which he discusses his problems dealing with anxiety/depression during his England career.

he made the point that everytime he 'broke' playing for England, Durham would always put him back together, which for me begs the question why did he fleece us for 2 years when it became obvious that he was utterly spent as a cricketer, or why did he seem to do his best to completely destabilise the dressing room during the same period?
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby captaincolly » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:41 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:Harmy was on telly last night to talk about his book 'speed demons' in which he discusses his problems dealing with anxiety/depression during his England career.

he made the point that everytime he 'broke' playing for England, Durham would always put him back together, which for me begs the question why did he fleece us for 2 years when it became obvious that he was utterly spent as a cricketer, or why did he seem to do his best to completely destabilise the dressing room during the same period?

Good point. Think at least part of the reason was because of his brother. Did he not supposedly throw a strop when Ben was let go?
captaincolly

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:47 pm

Didn't always see eye to eye with Colly seemingly. 'professional differences' I think he described it as, which I assume means that Colly probably thought Harmy should train harder, and get fitter than he ever did
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby captaincolly » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:53 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:Didn't always see eye to eye with Colly seemingly. 'professional differences' I think he described it as, which I assume means that Colly probably thought Harmy should train harder, and get fitter than he ever did

Yes and if I remember rightly Colly's first big decision as captain was to drop Harmison and - I think - Plunkett.
Last year when Sky did a Durham game Harmy was on commentary and Colly ( who was out injured ) joined him for a bit -Colly said he'd been in the gym and made some comment about Harmy not knowing where it was! It was all lighthearted 'banter' but suspect it was not far from the truth.
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:54 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:Harmy was on telly last night to talk about his book 'speed demons' in which he discusses his problems dealing with anxiety/depression during his England career.

I imagine that Harmi is asking those same questions of himself now. He admitted in that interview that he is now bored and has hinted more than once that he'd love to have some involvement with Durham. His media work now appears to have dried up so he clearly needs to find some useful involvement even if it's not salaried. Clearly any coaching involvement would be a disaster given his reluctance to improve or practise even in his playing pomp. I can see him sucking up to our chairman to get some work on the corporate side.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:02 pm

westoelad wrote:

I imagine that Harmi is asking those same questions of himself now. He admitted in that interview that he is now bored and has hinted more than once that he'd love to have some involvement with Durham. His media work now appears to have dried up so he clearly needs to find some useful involvement even if it's not salaried. Clearly any coaching involvement would be a disaster given his reluctance to improve or practise even in his playing pomp. I can see him sucking up to our chairman to get some work on the corporate side.

Yes, the idea of him coaching is enough to bring on the shivers! He's not the only ex-player who forgets his playing days but one priceless bit of commentary was when he was criticising bowlers for not bowling accurate lines and lengths! Said something about needing to bowl with discipline. :facepalm
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:03 pm

captaincolly wrote:

Good point. Think at least part of the reason was because of his brother. Did he not supposedly throw a strop when Ben was let go?

Yes went AWOL after the toss v Sri Lanka A when he found out that Ben was to be released. No coincidence that Ben then found employment with Kent where his best mate Key was capt.
Nastiest tale I heard about Harmi snr was that he gave a 17 year old Ben a real working over in the nets because he saw him as a challenge to jnrs 1st team place. Backfired of course because Ben stood up to it and showed the coaches what a strong character he had.
westoelad

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:06 pm

captaincolly wrote: but one priceless bit of commentary was when he was criticising bowlers for not bowling accurate lines and lengths! Said something about needing to bowl with discipline. :facepalm

I always thought he did quite well as a pundit, from the little I saw of him
westoelad wrote: I can see him sucking up to our chairman to get some work on the corporate side.

club ambassador, presumably
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby westoelad » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:11 pm

"He's not the only ex-player who forgets his playing days but one priceless bit of commentary was when he was criticising bowlers for not bowling accurate lines and lengths! Said something about needing to bowl with discipline"
That's the equivalent of IDB dispensing slimming advice!
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:17 pm

westoelad wrote:"He's not the only ex-player who forgets his playing days but one priceless bit of commentary was when he was criticising bowlers for not bowling accurate lines and lengths! Said something about needing to bowl with discipline"
That's the equivalent of IDB dispensing slimming advice!

:lmao
Durhamfootman wrote:
captaincolly wrote: but one priceless bit of commentary was when he was criticising bowlers for not bowling accurate lines and lengths! Said something about needing to bowl with discipline. :facepalm

I always thought he did quite well as a pundit, from the little I saw of him
westoelad wrote: I can see him sucking up to our chairman to get some work on the corporate side.

club ambassador, presumably

I think he's good when he's summarising but less so when commentating but agree that he is a pretty good pundit. Was he not hoping to be made captain of Durham at some point or am I confusing that with when he applied to be an England selector and was ignored.
captaincolly

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:18 pm

In fairness to IDB, he always practiced his sprinting religiously

during the tea interval and on the way to cream cake table usually
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:19 pm

captaincolly wrote: or am I confusing that with when he applied to be an England selector and was ignored.

I don't know anything about that
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby captaincolly » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:23 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:In fairness to IDB, he always practiced his sprinting religiously

during the tea interval and on the way to cream cake table usually

:lmao
Durhamfootman wrote:
captaincolly wrote: or am I confusing that with when he applied to be an England selector and was ignored.

I don't know anything about that

I can't remember the exact story but it was something along the lines of putting himself forward for a selectors role and expecting to be at least given an interview but FTECB either completely ignored the application or sent back a very short letter declining his offer.
captaincolly

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket