Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby southwood » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:57 pm

westoelad wrote:Just had a closer look at the CC fixtures and the potentially unfair system of only playing 5 counties twice seems to have come out in our favour. We play all of last seasons bottom 3 twice plus Kent and Worcs. I'd expect Notts and Sussex to be our main challengers who we meet only once and each at the Riverside. Notts and Sussex to play each other twice. So good old FTECB.

They probably did not realise what they had done when they agreed the fixture list .
Perhaps the compiler - it used to be Alan Fordham (and probably still is) , a former team mate of Geoff Cook at Northants-slipped those through unnoticed in a retort to the vicious punishment of the newest first class county. Fordham also went to Durham Uni so may be even more sympathetic to Durham's situation.
southwood

Postby westoelad » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:08 pm

southwood wrote:
westoelad wrote:Just had a closer look at the CC fixtures and the potentially unfair system of only playing 5 counties twice seems to have come out in our favour. We play all of last seasons bottom 3 twice plus Kent and Worcs. I'd expect Notts and Sussex to be our main challengers who we meet only once and each at the Riverside. Notts and Sussex to play each other twice. So good old FTECB.

They probably did not realise what they had done when they agreed the fixture list .
Perhaps the compiler - it used to be Alan Fordham (and probably still is) , a former team mate of Geoff Cook at Northants-slipped those through unnoticed in a retort to the vicious punishment of the newest first class county. Fordham also went to Durham Uni so may be even more sympathetic to Durham's situation.

Interesting read on the logistics of compiling the fixture list. I used to be very critical of the process but will be less so after reading this.

http://cricketyorkshire.com/2974618/
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:50 pm

westoelad wrote:
southwood wrote:

Interesting read on the logistics of compiling the fixture list. I used to be very critical of the process but will be less so after reading this.

Very interesting read, thanks for posting it.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby wearside willow » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:59 am

Just checked out the price of the tickets to see the Rod Stewart concert. Wow thats not cheap, I didn't think he would be able to charge those sort of prices.
wearside willow

Postby captaincolly » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:21 pm

wearside willow wrote:Just checked out the price of the tickets to see the Rod Stewart concert. Wow thats not cheap, I didn't think he would be able to charge those sort of prices.

He's only doing two UK shows this year ( otter than Isle of White festival )so demand should be high. Think he remains a very popular live draw.
captaincolly

Postby Aidan11 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:51 pm

captaincolly wrote:
wearside willow wrote:Just checked out the price of the tickets to see the Rod Stewart concert. Wow thats not cheap, I didn't think he would be able to charge those sort of prices.

He's only doing two UK shows this year ( otter than Isle of White festival )so demand should be high. Think he remains a very popular live draw.

I must admit I was interested until I saw the prices. I like Rod but not that much. Plenty of fans around who will pay it though so hopefully the club will get a decent wedge out of it.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby southwood » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:18 pm

westoelad wrote:
southwood wrote:

I heard Alan Fordham speak on this topic about 9 year ago at Durham Cricket Society - had every sympathy with his almost impossible task . However sympathetic/understanding one is there will always be some in the game who will criticise the outcome when it requires teams to travel long distances for limited overs games then meet the same opposition at home a few days later. The logistics,he explained then, are complicated by specific demands from counties and trying to respond to feed back following the draft list.(Remember the fiasco of the late publication of the list about 6/7 years ago). As he said then, and repeats in the article, you cannot please everyone.
southwood

Postby meninblue » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:42 pm

southwood wrote:
Adi wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
Adi wrote:Is it not possible that if Durham Management market the game well, revenue issue can be sorted.More advertisement boards on boundary, give the name of some company to one stand, or like Wankhede sell couple of boxes to corporate and get money. There may be more ways to get revenue. Here in India 1 Ranji match a day is telecast. Have Durham earned through broadcast rights and advertisements?

I think the problem is that Durham lost lots of money on test matches and the costs of staging them are extreme. Debt also racked up because of necessary ground redevelopment - installing lights etc.
Most other international grounds are struggling but they survive either because someone has come in and put money in, council had stepped in to help with debts etc. Durham also struggle to sell T20 tickets for the domestic competition.

Ticket revenue is not that much even in India when compared to revenue through rights given for broadcasters and on the ground advertisements. This revenue goes to BCCI i suppose but it is so much that BCCI can take care of probably every ground. The management need to see why BCCI is financially very successful. There could be some ways which ECB are missing.How good is ECB doing financially. Is it in a position that it can solve issues of counties which are facing operqating cash crunch.

The ECB appear to rely very heavily on the TV money provided by SKY, sponsorship and revenue from Test and ODI ticket sales . They are very reluctant ,as shown by their approach to the Durham situation, to support Counties over and above the fees they pay to counties each year .This is ,in essence ,a subsidy which is the principal source of income for the Counties. They also provide grants for some ground improvements eg helping counties improve the ground drainage and providing the capital cost of floodlights for certain stadia.
Their stance is not to bail out counties financially as they believe they should in general be self supporting
The ECB do support cricket financially at all levels ,from Test to local recreational clubs and Women's Cricket , in a wide variety of ways provided it falls within the criteria.

The ECB is in a position, as the games governing body in England and Wales , but it is a matter of what they do and how they do it that will determine whether they can solve the issues. It is important to note that the ECB is governed by representatives of the 38 first-class and minor counties and the MCC. It is headed by the Management Board (with fifteen members), a First-Class Forum (for first-class cricket) and a Recreational Forum.It has to persuade all its constituent parts to agree on a a course of action - not an easy task with different and competing agendas often each part.

Thanks. So i see it is almost the same as that we have here.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:58 pm

big difference being adi that bcci could fund the entire indian system on the tv revenue.
ECB can't.
plus india can attract private investors to build stadium and facilities, ECB can't and many counties struggle to get outside investment or income.
state teams in india have no worries, either bcci pays them loads of money or private investors build stadium and facilities so they can get freebies when the association host international games.
you don't really get that in the English system, finally the counties have to be self sufficient and produce income themselves, BCCI state teams don't since BCCI provides everything, they even pay the domestic team wages, essentially BCCI calls all the shots in Domestic cricket, ECB don't.

really hard to compare English county system and the ranji system.
Anyway ECB financial reports should be out soon, wonder how much money they lost last season.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:37 pm

ECB don't really have any spare cash to pay for all the counties debts either.
They only make profits when Australia or india tour.
the situation won't change much until the new tv deal which should mean ECB make a profit every year and so are more able to fund or pay the county system, although I get the impression that money will only be given if the counties vote for a new city based T20 competition.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Aidan11 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:57 pm

Beefy officially took charge today and has made some comments...

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/c ... -1-8412261
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby captaincolly » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Aidan11 wrote:Beefy officially took charge today and has made some comments...

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/c ... -1-8412261

Typically positive comments. Tweet from the club just now saying Sir Ian will be at the members forum on April 18th.
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:31 pm

Cricinfo article on Botham. Mentions Rod Bransgrove giving advice!
http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cric ... 84595.html
captaincolly

Postby Aidan11 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:46 pm

captaincolly wrote:Cricinfo article on Botham. Mentions Rod Bransgrove giving advice!

Yeah might come as a surprise to some members that he and Bransgrove are good mates.
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby captaincolly » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:50 pm

Aidan11 wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Cricinfo article on Botham. Mentions Rod Bransgrove giving advice!

Yeah might come as a surprise to some members that he and Bransgrove are good mates.

I wonder if anyone will be brave/foolhardy enough to ask Botham if he thinks Bransgrove is in any way responsible for the sanctions ?!
captaincolly

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket