Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby southwood » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:21 pm

captaincolly wrote:
wearside willow wrote:To be fair to Durham if they are going to try and play some outdoor cricket in the first week of April in this country theymay as well go down south. Surely more chance of getting some practice in than up north.
The incredible thing is a school can get their cricket pitch and net wickets up to a good enough standard in early April that they are safe for pros to use. I wonder what the fees are per term at that school.

£19,520 per annum!

That's cheap. My alma mater charges over 27K pa for weekly boarder and 21k pa for day student now
southwood

Postby captaincolly » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:33 pm

southwood wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
wearside willow wrote:To be fair to Durham if they are going to try and play some outdoor cricket in the first week of April in this country theymay as well go down south. Surely more chance of getting some practice in than up north.
The incredible thing is a school can get their cricket pitch and net wickets up to a good enough standard in early April that they are safe for pros to use. I wonder what the fees are per term at that school.

£19,520 per annum!

That's cheap. My alma mater charges over 27K pa for weekly boarder and 21k pa for day student now

I don't have a frame of reference for those fees, sounded expensive but it must be one of the more reasonable ones especially given the location - unless I've misread the website info and that £19.520 figure is not the full annual fee.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby westoelad » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:07 pm

Incredibly Gloucs are playing Oxford at the Parks on March 16 and no doubt it'll be a good pitch. This must surely be the earliest ever in the season for a match.
westoelad

Postby southwood » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:45 pm

captaincolly wrote:
southwood wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

£19,520 per annum!

I don't have a frame of reference for those fees, sounded expensive but it must be one of the more reasonable ones especially given the location - unless I've misread the website info and that £19.520 figure is not the full annual fee.

From a 2013 article in the Telegraph
Cheltenham Ladies’ College charges up to £34,302 for boarding, while fees are £34,137 at Tonbridge School, up to £33,408 at Sevenoaks, £32,280 at Marlborough, £32,490 at Westminster and £32,067 at Eton.
In all, the average boarding fee now stands at £27,600.

Newcastle RGS fees are about 12k pa.

You are correct about Merchant Taylor's but there are several extras.
southwood

Postby captaincolly » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:19 pm

southwood wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
southwood wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

£19,520 per annum!

From a 2013 article in the Telegraph
Cheltenham Ladies’ College charges up to £34,302 for boarding, while fees are £34,137 at Tonbridge School, up to £33,408 at Sevenoaks, £32,280 at Marlborough, £32,490 at Westminster and £32,067 at Eton.
In all, the average boarding fee now stands at £27,600.

Newcastle RGS fees are about 12k pa.

You are correct about Merchant Taylor's but there are several extras.

Thanks. It's a fair way below average then.
captaincolly

Postby Aidan11 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:22 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but I see that Geoff Cook is now the performance director at Philadelphia CC.

Is that running alongside his role with Durham or has he parted company with the club?
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby captaincolly » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:38 pm

Aidan11 wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned already but I see that Geoff Cook is now the performance director at Philadelphia CC.

Is that running alongside his role with Durham or has he parted company with the club?

I hadn't heard that. I think he must be combining the jobs because if he had left Durham it would have been in the news...unless they're trying to hush it up!
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:30 pm

captaincolly wrote:
Aidan11 wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned already but I see that Geoff Cook is now the performance director at Philadelphia CC.

I hadn't heard that. I think he must be combining the jobs because if he had left Durham it would have been in the news...unless they're trying to hush it up!

There's no way they could or should hush that up. It would eventually come out and would be disastrous PR, even DCCC would realize that. Performance Director sounds like an advisory role and is probably exactly that.
westoelad

Postby wearside willow » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:59 pm

Sadly i think Cook has been left on the side lines at Durham since his return from illness, he appears to have been more of a mentor to the back ground coaching staff like Windows and Maiden than having a specific role. I would imagine thats why he took on the advisory role with Northumberland for a couple of seasons. I can't imagine the job at Philly is any more than part time even with the fancy title.
Surely the club would not dispense with his services although I don't think he and Botham are on each others christmas card list.
wearside willow

Postby Aidan11 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Forgot about that.

Botham was persuaded to join Durham in their first FC season by Cook on the understanding he would be captain only for it to be given to Graveney. Can't remember the exact ins and outs behind it but it did rankle with Beefy at the time.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby westoelad » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:18 pm

wearside willow wrote:Sadly i think Cook has been left on the side lines at Durham since his return from illness, he appears to have been more of a mentor to the back ground coaching staff like Windows and Maiden than having a specific role. I would imagine thats why he took on the advisory role with Northumberland for a couple of seasons. I can't imagine the job at Philly is any more than part time even with the fancy title.
Surely the club would not dispense with his services although I don't think he and Botham are on each others christmas card list.

Geoff was reported as leading a group of academy players and Pringle on the coaching camp to Bangalore a few weeks ago so he was still pretty keen to travel that far. I'd imagine he'd be perfectly happy in his mentoring role and he's mentored all the coaching staff when they were rooky cricketers. Botham was miffed at not getting the Durham captaincy as Cook wouldn't renege on his promise of it to Graveney but there's been a lot of water under the bridge since then and Botham and Cook's path shouldn't cross in their present roles anyway.
westoelad

Postby wearside willow » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:57 pm

westoelad wrote:
wearside willow wrote:Sadly i think Cook has been left on the side lines at Durham since his return from illness, he appears to have been more of a mentor to the back ground coaching staff like Windows and Maiden than having a specific role. I would imagine thats why he took on the advisory role with Northumberland for a couple of seasons. I can't imagine the job at Philly is any more than part time even with the fancy title.

Geoff was reported as leading a group of academy players and Pringle on the coaching camp to Bangalore a few weeks ago so he was still pretty keen to travel that far. I'd imagine he'd be perfectly happy in his mentoring role and he's mentored all the coaching staff when they were rooky cricketers. Botham was miffed at not getting the Durham captaincy as Cook wouldn't renege on his promise of it to Graveney but there's been a lot of water under the bridge since then and Botham and Cook's path shouldn't cross in their present roles anyway.

I agree provided he is content in his current role it is perfect for Durham. Mind he has got a job on at Philly been on the slide for a few seasons now.
wearside willow

Postby Durhamfootman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:00 pm

Aidan11 wrote:Forgot about that.

Botham was persuaded to join Durham in their first FC season by Cook on the understanding he would be captain only for it to be given to Graveney. Can't remember the exact ins and outs behind it but it did rankle with Beefy at the time.

he was allowed to play without ever having to do anything as tedious as attend training, so I'm sure he got over it
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Making_Splinters » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:57 pm

If you're all honest, will Botham make any real difference to Durham aside from grabbing some headlines? Durham's strength has always been its ability to bring through local talent and turn them into class acts. He's going to have nought to do with that.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Durhamfootman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:01 pm

My hope is that he is box office enough to get business execs to cough up some corporate funding in exchange for the chance to have a meal on the same table as him
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL