County Cricket 2017 season

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: County Cricket 2017 season

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:34 pm

st_brendy wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
st_brendy wrote:It would be interesting if Middlesex were, say, 80-8 and asked the umpires if a declaration at that point would be classed as an extraordinary declaration (and hence a likely points deduction).

A bit like Essex against us last week (albeit different circumstances), you could argue that Middlesex's best chances from winning in that position would be to FO. And declaring at that point would just about allow such a FO to happen, if Somerset so wished. Would the umpires accept that argument, and allow the declaration (thus securing Middlesex's survival), or dismiss the argument.

That would be very interesting. I think in those circumstances the umpires would have to seek advice from the ECB before making a decision.

Just imagine the reaction of Somerset fans if it was allowed. Last season they felt that Middlesex stole the title from them, now they steal survival from them.

(Personally I wouldn't feel sorry for them. Whilst I'm not against utilising home advantage, I'm not going to have any sympathy when it ultimately doesn't get you what you want)

I agree. Picking 3 spinners and opening the bowling with one of them is a fair indication of what they're up to and if the decision backfires it is a risk they themselves have taken.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:56 pm

Speaking of declarations - Surrey 201/8 declared against Lancashire in what I think must be the battle for second place!
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:16 pm

Adam Voges has " made his opinions known " to the Cricket Liason Officer re the Taunton pitch according to BBC's Kevin Hand " but the club will make no comment tonight."
And the CLO says he will discuss the matter with the umpires tomorrow and make a decision by close of play.
captaincolly

Postby st_brendy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:31 pm

captaincolly wrote:Adam Voges has " made his opinions known " to the Cricket Liason Officer re the Taunton pitch according to BBC's Kevin Hand " but the club will make no comment tonight."
And the CLO says he will discuss the matter with the umpires tomorrow and make a decision by close of play.

Starting to get quite messy. I wonder if the officials might take the "easy" way out, by not punishing Somerset for the pitch but at the same time allowing a Middlesex declaration without penalty.

Of course, that's hardly a great outcome for a Hampshire fan!
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:35 pm

st_brendy wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Adam Voges has " made his opinions known " to the Cricket Liason Officer re the Taunton pitch according to BBC's Kevin Hand " but the club will make no comment tonight."

Starting to get quite messy. I wonder if the officials might take the "easy" way out, by not punishing Somerset for the pitch but at the same time allowing a Middlesex declaration without penalty.

Of course, that's hardly a great outcome for a Hampshire fan!

:lol:
Yeah, it'd be typical if they do try and find the least controversial way out. Perhaps they are waiting and hoping Middlesex won't get bowled out for a ridiculously low total in the morning!
captaincolly

Postby Alviro Patterson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:28 am

Bit rich Middlesex complaining about Somerset's pitch when water got through the covers at Radlett two weeks ago. Also Middlesex batting first and scoring 233 against Lancs at Lord's last week, which was enough to win the game!

If Somerset get points deducted for a poor pitch, I expect the ECB to apply retrospective punishments to Middlesex and Derbyshire.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby westoelad » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:19 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:Bit rich Middlesex complaining about Somerset's pitch when water got through the covers at Radlett two weeks ago. Also Middlesex batting first and scoring 233 against Lancs at Lord's last week, which was enough to win the game!

If Somerset get points deducted for a poor pitch, I expect the ECB to apply retrospective punishments to Middlesex and Derbyshire.

Somerset will probably be relegated without the need for sanctions. Ironic really that when they played on the traditional Taunton pitches they safeguarded enough pts through draws and batting pts to be safe from relegation.
westoelad

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:59 am

Two wickets for Somerset already.

Even both of the run outs in this game have been enacted by the spinners. So spin friendly are the conditions...
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby st_brendy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:01 am

Starting to look like Middlesex's only hopes to avoiding D2 is a points deduction for Somerset.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:14 am

Bell's average for the season is 22.6. No hundreds, four fifties. Wonder what has happened to him. No Warks bat averages over 40, only Trott has more than one ton (3), with four other bats making three figures (one of whom has retired). Hain averages 15.4, passing 50 once.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:16 am

Similar to Yorkshire's, save ZBGB's early season form, actually. And two good games for Shaun Marsh.
Last edited by Arthur Crabtree on Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby captaincolly » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:23 am

Sussex closing in on 300 against Notts and Northants have reduced Leicester to 16/5. Notts promotion in the balance?
captaincolly

Postby st_brendy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:25 am

Uncanny that the two sides on fire this morning (Hants and Northants) have both lost arguably their main bowler to injury early doors.

(You can't really ask for nicer opposition than Warks in D1 and Leics in D2, though)
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Notts at risk of dropping a potentially valuable bowling point.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:06 pm

st_brendy wrote:Notts at risk of dropping a potentially valuable bowling point.

Bowling point duly dropped. Massive.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket