County Cricket 2017 season

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: County Cricket 2017 season

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:23 pm

My impression is Yorkshire have started losing wickets now during rain breaks and between sessions.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:42 pm

st_brendy wrote:
That said, I have never agreed with the principle. I have always felt that if an overthrow goes for four (having missed the stumps completely), then that should immediately override any runs scored - rather than being added to them. So your assumption.

:thumb
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:59 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:My impression is Yorkshire have started losing wickets now during rain breaks and between sessions.

thunder and lightning and torrential downpours for Scarborough on Thursday, if you can hang on that long
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby alfie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:33 am

st_brendy wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:
st_brendy wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:according to crapinfo, Gloucs hit one Hogan delivery for 5. Unless this is an error, and it was 5 wides or something, an all run 5 can't happen very often

how does overthrows work? can you run 1 and pick up an additional 4 overthrows? I don't think so, but then I am very dim

Yes. In theory it could equally have been 2 and then 3 run overthrows, or 3 and then 2 run overthrows. But yes, a single and 4 overthrows is most likely.

We picked up three 5s in one innings earlier this year, but that was due to the ball hitting the helmet by the keeper all three times.

okay.. thanks

so batsmen could run 2, with a fielder having a shy... ball goes to the boundary.... 6 runs? I just assumed that it would be 4

I can't recall ever seeing it, but yes I don't see why not. It applies when they run a single, so presumably will also if they run two etc.

It is a bit rare ; but I can recall collecting six that way once a few years back - looked good in the scorebook :)

Have even seen a seven or two. In fact I think one such case happened in an Ashes Test , In Adelaide.
Though most England fans have excised all memory of that particular match ...
alfie

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:59 am

rich1uk wrote:
Aidan11 wrote:Out for 318.

At cheltenham 25 wickets had fell before that many runs were scored in the match there.

30 wickets down in basically 4 sessions of play

And then Glos cruise to 137/0 to win the game.

Seemingly a lot easier to bat on day two.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:50 pm

Another desperately poor game for Yorks. Title gone for 2017. Might need to look the other way.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby southwood » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:14 pm

Quote(I have purposely added the bit in brackets, because I have equally always felt that the moment the stumps get knocked down, the ball should be dead. The fielding team has clearly done their job by knocking the stumps down. Just because the batsman is in, I don't see why they should then be able to run in the event of the ball deflecting away.)"

If he ball was called dead after it hit the stumps from a throw from the field ,the fielding side would be deprived of a chance of a run out. Not all such throws go to the boundary. The destruction of the wicket can be overcome by the fielder with ball in hand removing a stump ( or remaking the wicket by replacing a bail). I have seen this happen by a quick thinking bowler when the batsmen risked a second after an unsuccessful direct hit.
Similarly ,when a batsman does not offer a shot to a ball that hits his pads etc but nevertheless completes a run , the ball is only called dead on completion of the run . Even though the run does not count the batsman has left his crease and the fielding side should have the opportunity to run one of them out,
southwood

Postby st_brendy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:45 pm

southwood wrote:Quote(I have purposely added the bit in brackets, because I have equally always felt that the moment the stumps get knocked down, the ball should be dead. The fielding team has clearly done their job by knocking the stumps down. Just because the batsman is in, I don't see why they should then be able to run in the event of the ball deflecting away.)"

If he ball was called dead after it hit the stumps from a throw from the field ,the fielding side would be deprived of a chance of a run out. Not all such throws go to the boundary. The destruction of the wicket can be overcome by the fielder with ball in hand removing a stump ( or remaking the wicket by replacing a bail). I have seen this happen by a quick thinking bowler when the batsmen risked a second after an unsuccessful direct hit.
Similarly ,when a batsman does not offer a shot to a ball that hits his pads etc but nevertheless completes a run , the ball is only called dead on completion of the run . Even though the run does not count the batsman has left his crease and the fielding side should have the opportunity to run one of them out,

I understand what you are saying, but it is an exceptionally weak argument in my view. Continue to let the batsmen have the opportunity to score more runs (whether by running, or by the ball going away for four), just on the off chance that the fielding side might be able to execute a run out (in addition to the one they have just tried execute)?

I would argue that keeping this harms the fielding side more (by virtue of them conceding runs) than changing the rules (such to deny them an exceptionally rare opportunity of a run out) would.

I've got no problem with overthrows when the fielding side misses the stumps. Tough luck, throw better (or hold onto the ball). But don't punish them when they do hit. No more runs should be scored.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Come on the tie!

Potentially two balls away from it happening.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby southwood » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:51 pm

st_brendy wrote:
southwood wrote:Quote(I have purposely added the bit in brackets, because I have equally always felt that the moment the stumps get knocked down, the ball should be dead. The fielding team has clearly done their job by knocking the stumps down. Just because the batsman is in, I don't see why they should then be able to run in the event of the ball deflecting away.)"

I understand what you are saying, but it is an exceptionally weak argument in my view. Continue to let the batsmen have the opportunity to score more runs (whether by running, or by the ball going away for four), just on the off chance that the fielding side might be able to execute a run out (in addition to the one they have just tried execute)?

I would argue that keeping this harms the fielding side more (by virtue of them conceding runs) than changing the rules (such to deny them an exceptionally rare opportunity of a run out) would.

I've got no problem with overthrows when the fielding side misses the stumps. Tough luck, throw better (or hold onto the ball). But don't punish them when they do hit. No more runs should be scored.

Argue with the MCC - that's the reasoning used for the way the law is laid out. To hold onto the ball or go for a direct hit is a cricketing decision and well organised team will have back up drills etc .
southwood

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:10 pm

Thumping win for Yorks against perennial favourites Notts. Huge batting score thanks to runs from Lyth and Shaun Marsh and a couple of heavy hitting cameos from Willey and Handsco.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby westoelad » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:31 pm

southwood wrote:
st_brendy wrote:

Argue with the MCC -
that's the reasoning used for the way the law is laid out. To hold onto the ball or go for a direct hit is a cricketing decision and well organised team will have back up drills etc .

That's like saying talk to a brick wall and hardly a justification for the rule. How do you back up to a ball that could deflect into any unpredictable direction?
westoelad

Postby alfie » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:56 pm

Re the above : no one is forcing the fielding team to throw at the stumps. You take a risk in pursuit of a reward ...just as a batsman does in trying to clear the ropes - or a bowler in throwing it up to tempt...
Yes it's a bit unlucky when it glances off for four but that's the luck of the game and I don't see a problem with it - though I am not too happy when it happens off my bowling :)
alfie

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Da! Tim gets out needing four off the last ball v Derbys.

This was in Chesterfield. Would have gone if I was more switched on.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby westoelad » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:18 pm

alfie wrote:Re the above : no one is forcing the fielding team to throw at the stumps. You take a risk in pursuit of a reward ...just as a batsman does in trying to clear the ropes - or a bowler in throwing it up to tempt...
Yes it's a bit unlucky when it glances off for four but that's the luck of the game and I don't see a problem with it - though I am not too happy when it happens off my bowling :)

Fair enough. But good fielding by hitting the stumps is being penalized whereas with normal overthrows it's bad fielding which is rightly penalized.
westoelad

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket