All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Irony is that if he'd stayed here he'd almost certainly have been given opportunities following the dreaded FTECB intervention. Time is on his side but if he's not careful the unusual name will be the most notable thing about him!
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25373
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:29 pm

westoelad wrote:Burnham has re-signed.Hope a year labouring has made him realize how fortunate he is to be able to earn a living at cricket.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/crick ... s-ban.html

I always thought we'd be keen to hang on to him...... as long as he had kept his nose clean during his 12 month ban, of course
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 35960
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:40 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
westoelad wrote:Burnham has re-signed.Hope a year labouring has made him realize how fortunate he is to be able to earn a living at cricket.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/crick ... s-ban.html

I always thought we'd be keen to hang on to him...... as long as he had kept his nose clean during his 12 month ban, of course

I think there's hope for him. If he had been out for a year due to injury there'd be no real worries about him and maybe the enforced absence and having to take a regular job will have made him realise how close he was to throwing away his career.
I guess he won't be on a big salary so we've got little to lose of it doesn't work out. Fingers crossed it will!
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25373
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:47 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
westoelad wrote:Burnham has re-signed.Hope a year labouring has made him realize how fortunate he is to be able to earn a living at cricket.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/crick ... s-ban.html

I always thought we'd be keen to hang on to him...... as long as he had kept his nose clean during his 12 month ban, of course

Literally!
westoelad
 
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:50 pm

westoelad wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:
westoelad wrote:Burnham has re-signed.Hope a year labouring has made him realize how fortunate he is to be able to earn a living at cricket.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/crick ... s-ban.html

I always thought we'd be keen to hang on to him...... as long as he had kept his nose clean during his 12 month ban, of course

Literally!

:laugh

well spotted
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 35960
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:33 pm

Our display against Leicestershire doesn't appear so bad-on a par with the Aussies when you consider Abbas didn't have the advantage of a gale behind him against the convicts.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:51 pm

North maintaining the Durham tradition of talking a great deal but revealing norhing.
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport ... um=twitter
westoelad
 
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:59 pm

westoelad wrote:Our display against Leicestershire doesn't appear so bad-on a par with the Aussies when you consider Abbas didn't have the advantage of a gale behind him against the convicts.

Yes! He's got wickets for fun against them.
westoelad wrote:North maintaining the Durham tradition of talking a great deal but revealing norhing.
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport ... um=twitter

Typical waffle. Is he saying that Colly's replacement as a middle order batsman will be someone already in the squad? I read it that way.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25373
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:54 am

captaincolly wrote:

Typical waffle. Is he saying that Colly's replacement as a middle order batsman will be someone already in the squad? I read it that way.

me too, but then I always thought that would be the case. It was the captaincy bit that I noticed. Is he saying that there is no-one in the squad who can replace him as captain, or is he saying that whoever replaces him as batsman will not replace him as captain?

Forget the no.6 position, I think we've spent the Colly savings on Bancroft, so he might be suggesting either that Bancroft will replace Colly as captain, or that Bancroft is the only person not in the running to replace him

useful interview


not!
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 35960
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:44 am

Durhamfootman wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

Typical waffle. Is he saying that Colly's replacement as a middle order batsman will be someone already in the squad? I read it that way.

me too, but then I always thought that would be the case. It was the captaincy bit that I noticed. Is he saying that there is no-one in the squad who can replace him as captain, or is he saying that whoever replaces him as batsman will not replace him as captain?

Forget the no.6 position, I think we've spent the Colly savings on Bancroft, so he might be suggesting either that Bancroft will replace Colly as captain, or that Bancroft is the only person not in the running to replace him

useful interview

Yep! North must be a fast learner - already mastered the art of vague statements .
not!
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25373
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:33 pm

Bancroft is a direct replacement for Latham so within present budget. From what was reported at last forum I think we have finances for new signings but wouldn't be making any.That was,though, before Colly's retirement was announced but nevertheless the captaincy issue should be sorted before players return for winter training next month.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:31 am

westoelad wrote:Bancroft is a direct replacement for Latham so within present budget.

that's a fair point
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 35960
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:31 pm

Contacted The club about player's overseas involvement this winter.
Got this response.

"We'll be doing an overseas update soon; however it won't be to the extent of last year! Pretty much all of our lads are staying here for this winter"
westoelad
 
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:40 pm

westoelad wrote:Contacted The club about player's overseas involvement this winter.
Got this response.

"We'll be doing an overseas update soon; however it won't be to the extent of last year! Pretty much all of our lads are staying here for this winter"

I wonder if they're staying here by choice or haven't been able to find a team?
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25373
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:00 pm

captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:Contacted The club about player's overseas involvement this winter.
Got this response.

"We'll be doing an overseas update soon; however it won't be to the extent of last year! Pretty much all of our lads are staying here for this winter"

I wonder if they're staying here by choice or haven't been able to find a team?

Could be that the new DoC wants the whole squad here to make a complete assessment of the entire playing staff. Fair enough but that could be completed by Chistmas enabling players to go overseas in the new year. Winter training appeared to be lacking in numbers last year.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests