All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:25 am

Remember we'll have to budget for Wood next season as I can't see him getting another England contact. I'd like to see Latham back and would be happy with a top five of
Latham
Steel
Lees
Clark
Harte.
Hopefully Davies, Jones and S.Steel will push on to be realistic challengers.
Trevaskis appears to be hallmarked by JJ to take Pringle's place.
westoelad

Postby westoelad » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:31 am

Durhamfootman wrote:we should be talking to James Pattinson's agent already

No way he'll be available next year with a World Cup and an ashes series.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:51 pm

Stokes found not guilty.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby westoelad » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:34 pm

captaincolly wrote:Stokes found not guilty.

And joining England squad for 3rd test.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:37 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Stokes found not guilty.

And joining England squad for 3rd test.

It'd be typical of FTECB if he plays the next one and then is banned again after their disciplinary panel gets to work! Sensible thing would be to backdate and ban to the games he has already missed or just draw a line over the whole saga. They don't often act logically though.
captaincolly

Postby KingOttis » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:13 pm

captaincolly wrote:
KingOttis wrote:Presumably, the fact that we've made this move means that the club know that Colly won't be playing on next season, otherwise I'm guessing we wouldn't have the money?

Injuries seem to be taking an increasing roll so I think you'll be right about Colly returning. I think the Lees signing is a good one but it is a risk so I think we need to bring in at least one more batsman - someone with a proven track record and good current form. Also at least one strike bowler.

I think there must be additional cash to spare because the wave of departures last year must mean we are well below FTECB's salary cap. The big problem might be in finding players willing to come when they could go to a div 1 team.

Absolutely agree about the need for another batsman and a strike bowler - hopefully if we can finish the championship season strongly, plus the positive T20 campaign, and an established player signing for us, it will make us a more positive proposition - both to prospective signings coming in, and current players not wanting to jump ship.
KingOttis

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC and Newcastle United.

Postby captaincolly » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:44 pm

KingOttis wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
KingOttis wrote:Presumably, the fact that we've made this move means that the club know that Colly won't be playing on next season, otherwise I'm guessing we wouldn't have the money?

Injuries seem to be taking an increasing roll so I think you'll be right about Colly returning. I think the Lees signing is a good one but it is a risk so I think we need to bring in at least one more batsman - someone with a proven track record and good current form. Also at least one strike bowler.

I think there must be additional cash to spare because the wave of departures last year must mean we are well below FTECB's salary cap. The big problem might be in finding players willing to come when they could go to a div 1 team.

Absolutely agree about the need for another batsman and a strike bowler - hopefully if we can finish the championship season strongly, plus the positive T20 campaign, and an established player signing for us, it will make us a more positive proposition - both to prospective signings coming in, and current players not wanting to jump ship.

Let's hope so! I think next season is the last for the Ireland players because they aren't eligible after that unless one of them sign as overseas. Not 100% certain of that but if it is the case it should maybe help Durham to make budget plans.
captaincolly

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:02 pm

how many Irish lads do we have now?

Poynter and McCarthy, obviously... Chase, is he still around?
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby westoelad » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:05 am

Poytner was born in London so presumably has British citizenship whilst presumably MC Carthy would be eligible under residence so I suppose it depends on where they themselves wish to play. Not bothered about Poytner but think MC Carthy has potential
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:02 am

westoelad wrote:Poytner was born in London so presumably has British citizenship whilst presumably MC Carthy would be eligible under residence so I suppose it depends on where they themselves wish to play. Not bothered about Poytner but think MC Carthy has potential

I agree. McCarthy is the one we could do with keeping- and he was very annoyed at not being selected for they'd first test. I wonder what the difference is financially between an Ireland contract and the average county deal.
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:13 am

Durham tweeted a picture of Axar Patel at the Riverside. Debut on Sunday at Glamorgan?
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:01 pm

captaincolly wrote:Durham tweeted a picture of Axar Patel at the Riverside. Debut on Sunday at Glamorgan?

Why not v Derbyshire on Friday evening?
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:24 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Durham tweeted a picture of Axar Patel at the Riverside. Debut on Sunday at Glamorgan?

I didn't think of that! He should be available and I wonder if there's a rule about players having to feature in the group stages to be eligible for the knock-out stages? Even if that's not the case he may as well play on Friday.
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:16 pm

captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:

I didn't think of that! He should be available and I wonder if there's a rule about players having to feature in the group stages to be eligible for the knock-out stages? Even if that's not the case he may as well play on Friday.

Would I be right in thinking that Chanderpaul's famous stonewalling on final's day was his only T20 appearance that season?
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:19 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:

Would I be right in thinking that Chanderpaul's famous stonewalling on final's day was his only T20 appearance that season?

Good point. I can't remember any other appearances so there probably aren't any restrictions.
captaincolly

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket