Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:59 pm

Wicket for Onions against Luffbro.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby captaincolly » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:12 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Wicket for Onions against Luffbro.

It'll be interesting to see how he fares this season. I thought he was starting to look like his old self at the back end of last season.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:14 pm

he did the season before, as well, iirc.

good luck to him. I hope it works out.... he owes us nothing..... not like the other chancers
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby captaincolly » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:24 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:he did the season before, as well, iirc.

good luck to him. I hope it works out.... he owes us nothing..... not like the other chancers

:thumb
I wonder if we'll ever find out exactly what happened - one sticking point was when they said a 2 year contract for a 35 year old bowler was not acceptable and wanted to make the second year conditional...then a few days later they signed a 35 year old bowler, who was a fringe player in state cricket, on a 2 year contract! If Rimmington is a big success then it will have been a good decision but if he isn't ...
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:39 pm

captaincolly wrote:

I wonder if we'll ever find out exactly what happened - one sticking point was when they said a 2 year contract for a 35 year old bowler was not acceptable and wanted to make the second year conditional...then a few days later they signed a 35 year old bowler, who was a fringe player in state cricket, on a 2 year contract! If Rimmington is a big success then it will have been a good decision but if he isn't ...

He was also asking for a coaching position iirc when no vacancy existed. Rimmington will be on nothing like the money Onions was offered I'd imagine.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:47 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

He was also asking for a coaching position iirc when no vacancy existed. Rimmington will be on nothing like the money Onions was offered I'd imagine.

Yeah, sure to be on lower wages. With a bit of luck he will be a 'young' 35 year old - hasn't bowled himself into the ground so he should be fresh.
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:09 pm

Wood playing in the opening match of the dreaded IPL.
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:05 pm

captaincolly wrote:Wood playing in the opening match of the dreaded IPL.

A good start with just 2 runs from his first over...and then 47 from the next 3. :facepalm
captaincolly

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:49 pm

pace is always dangerous in T20. Dibbly dobbly is absolutely the way to go
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby captaincolly » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:54 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:pace is always dangerous in T20. Dibbly dobbly is absolutely the way to go

Yep. Dwayne Bravo went for 25 in 4 overs.
captaincolly

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:12 pm

Twatto, 29 off his 4 with 2 wickets
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby captaincolly » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:14 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:Twatto, 29 off his 4 with 2 wickets

And amazingly not dismissed lbw.
captaincolly

Postby southwood » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:19 pm

captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

Yeah, sure to be on lower wages. With a bit of luck he will be a 'young' 35 year old - hasn't bowled himself into the ground so he should be fresh.

Onions was training ( weights ) in a gym in Newcastle. He is looking fit and was following a structured programme, judging by the bits of paper he kept referring to.

I suggest that ,from his point of view,Durham, in offloading him, have brought in someone who is the same age with limited 1st class experience on a lot lower wage than he was getting. Although Onion's injury record, of recent years, is against him he probably believes he represented greater value as both a player, experienced mentor and potential coach and a longer contract was merited. Durham's economic situation suggests otherwise.
As for no coaching vacancy, the regard for Neil Killeen ,at national level ,suggests that he may not be around too much longer at Durham. His winter coaching stint is probably the first of many national level roles for him. I suspect that Durham might yet live to regret the Onions decision.

It will be interesting to see how long Onions stays fit this season and how hew performs with the ball ,too.
southwood

Postby captaincolly » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:44 pm

southwood wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

Onions was training ( weights ) in a gym in Newcastle. He is looking fit and was following a structured programme, judging by the bits of paper he kept referring to.

I suggest that ,from his point of view,Durham, in offloading him, have brought in someone who is the same age with limited 1st class experience on a lot lower wage than he was getting. Although Onion's injury record, of recent years, is against him he probably believes he represented greater value as both a player, experienced mentor and potential coach and a longer contract was merited. Durham's economic situation suggests otherwise.
As for no coaching vacancy, the regard for Neil Killeen ,at national level ,suggests that he may not be around too much longer at Durham. His winter coaching stint is probably the first of many national level roles for him. I suspect that Durham might yet live to regret the Onions decision.

It will be interesting to see how long Onions stays fit this season and how hew performs with the ball ,too.

I also have a feeling it will turn out to be a regretful decision. Durham have lost so many first team regulars so must surely be well under FTECB's salary cap so they should have room for manouevre. Although I suppose seeing so many regulars choose to leave might make them feel they have to offer more lucrative contracts to up and coming players to try and keep them here.
No doubt Lewis will give a full explanation of the reasoning behind the Onions decision at next weeks meet the players evening. ;)
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:16 pm

I would expect a senior player to be a mentor regardless and I regarded Onions attitude a tad selfish. Surely it's perfectly reasonable to put a caveat of "conditional on fitness" on a 35 year old fast bowler with a back condition, particularly when the club have been twice bitten with Harmison and Blackwell. The fact that Rimmington was given a 2 year contract suggests that had Onions lowered his financial demands he could have been granted an extended contract. It's sad that he's departed with a touch of bitterness.
westoelad

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket