All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:07 pm

New CEO Tim Bostock on Look North reports that they hope to announce the name of a major new signing in the next few weeks. Didn't elaborate further. Wor Dave is still on the payroll in a non-executive roll i.e.still getting paid for doing SFA. Club policy is still to develop our own but we have the finances "to compete for any senior player who we think will move the club forward" .
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:40 pm

westoelad wrote:New CEO Tim Bostock on Look North reports that they hope to announce the name of a major new signing in the next few weeks. Didn't elaborate further. Wor Dave is still on the payroll in a non-executive roll i.e.still getting paid for doing SFA. Club policy is still to develop our own but we have the finances "to compete for any senior player who we think will move the club forward" .

That sounds interesting. Does he mean a major new signing for next season? Could be the T20. If I was to guess I'd say Tim Bresnan in next year as captain.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby westoelad » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:02 pm

captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:New CEO Tim Bostock on Look North reports that they hope to announce the name of a major new signing in the next few weeks. Didn't elaborate further. Wor Dave is still on the payroll in a non-executive roll i.e.still getting paid for doing SFA. Club policy is still to develop our own but we have the finances "to compete for any senior player who we think will move the club forward" .

That sounds interesting. Does he mean a major new signing for next season? Could be the T20. If I was to guess I'd say Tim Bresnan in next year as captain.

Have you seen his stats over the last 2 seasons? Captain?-he's thicker than peaspudding. Worringly, just the sort of player Durham would sign.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:09 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

Have you seen his stats over the last 2 seasons? Captain?-he's thicker than peaspudding. Worringly, just the sort of player Durham would sign.

He might be useful in div 2 but he's clearly on the decline. It just has , as you say , the feel of a Durham signing.
I suppose Durham's idea of a major new signing might well be someone we've never heard of!
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:13 pm

captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

He might be useful in div 2 but he's clearly on the decline. It just has , as you say , the feel of a Durham signing.
I suppose Durham's idea of a major new signing might well be someone we've never heard of!

I don't think I'd heard of Benks :joydance
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:00 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

I don't think I'd heard of Benks :joydance

Neither had I! Maybe they will manage a pleasant surprise. One of the Durham fans on Twitter is suggesting it's going to be a T20 signing announced tomorrow - don't know if he's just guessing but if that's what it turns out to be it'll almost certainly be underwhelming.
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:07 pm

Whoever we signed for T20 I'd be underwhelmed. Important thing is we do seem to be on a firmer financial footing to be able to sign good players and retain the likes of Salisbury.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:22 pm

westoelad wrote:Whoever we signed for T20 I'd be underwhelmed. Important thing is we do seem to be on a firmer financial footing to be able to sign good players and retain the likes of Salisbury.

I agree. Even if we had the best two T20 players in the world it probably wouldn't make much difference.
Worrying thing is that Martin Emmerson said in his match summary that he understands our salary cap wil still be in place next year. If he's correct something must be wrong .
captaincolly

Postby Durhamfootman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:33 pm

is Fanny Adams still around? She must be a very compliant woman.... or has a better business head on her than our Ian
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby KingOttis » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:40 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

Bresnan isn't the force he was, but still would be way streets ahead of our squad in terms of experience, and genuine quality - even if it is slightly waning. Despite a couple of gutsy fightbacks recently, it's been clear for a while that we need some quality injecting into this squad urgently if we want to win games consistently and allow the young players to prosper. At the moment we are just not good enough. Personally, if the "major new signing" turns out to be a T20 signing coming in for half a dozen (probably meaningless, if we're honest) games, I'll be pretty dissappointed. Some Benkenstein/Di Venuto type experience would be just what the squad desperately needs if the finance is there to allow it.
KingOttis

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC and Newcastle United.

Postby Durhamfootman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:45 pm

I would be surprised if it wasn't a completely pointless T20 signing for 3 games only.

maybe David Warner has signed to play for our second XI
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby captaincolly » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:48 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:I would be surprised if it wasn't a completely pointless T20 signing for 3 games only.

maybe David Warner has signed to play for our second XI

Do Zimbabwe or Bangladesh have any games that clash with the T20s? Might be a few Ireland players available too!
captaincolly

Postby Durhamfootman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:52 pm

Namibia more our level
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby captaincolly » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:57 pm

The reality for @DurhamCricket supporters is this. The core of the team has gone in 2 seasons because of the ECB relegation and sanctions. The wage Cape will be there next year too. A largely inexperienced squad with key players injured or out of form brings results like this.

This is Marty's tweet.
Assuming he's right about the wage cap it must mean Bostock is being disingenuous at best when he talks about improved finances allowing us to be competitive.
The questions he needs to answer are - is our uniwue salary cap still in place next year and, if it is , why?
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:58 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:Namibia more our level

:lol:
captaincolly

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket