All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:12 pm

Quinton de Kock signed by Notts for the latter part of the T20 campaign. Wonder if he would have been available for the whole thing? If so he'd surely have been a better bet than Tahir. Overseas T20 signings should be current world class players not players in the twilight of their careers with their best data behind them.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 24312
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:14 pm

captaincolly wrote:Quinton de Kock signed by Notts for the latter part of the T20 campaign. Wonder if he would have been available for the whole thing? If so he'd surely have been a better bet than Tahir. Overseas T20 signings should be current world class players not players in the twilight of their careers with their best data behind them.

Tahir is 39 year old which is the veteran stage but spin bowlers, and particularly leggies, generally improve with age. Could be a shrewd signing :hide
westoelad
 
Posts: 5727
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:20 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Quinton de Kock signed by Notts for the latter part of the T20 campaign. Wonder if he would have been available for the whole thing? If so he'd surely have been a better bet than Tahir. Overseas T20 signings should be current world class players not players in the twilight of their careers with their best data behind them.

Tahir is 39 year old which is the veteran stage but spin bowlers, and particularly leggies, generally improve with age. Could be a shrewd signing :hide

:lol: Yep. Maybe he's just getting into his stride! According to Emmerson the next signing will likely be a batsman.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 24312
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:21 pm

Has Misbah retired from domestic cricket?!
captaincolly
 
Posts: 24312
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:09 pm

it would appear that Tahir is still 7th in the T20 bowler rankings, which has to make him at least ten times better than anything else that we have.

Does he still have it? I don't know, but he is probably worth a go. Of course he has played for a fair few counties in recent years, so other county players might have had a fair bit of time playing him in the nets

At least it shows a bit of intent from the backroom staff..... suggests they aren't content to just be the north group whipping boys
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 34322
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:48 pm

Yeah, he's certainly an improvement over what we have. Thing I don't ge with the two overseas players is - once we had Latham on board why not sign the second one when there must have been more options. If any players are available now it presumably means none of the other counties wanted them! Obviously it's a bit more complicated than that but still...
captaincolly
 
Posts: 24312
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:15 pm

If he's anything like his Twitter a/c nobody will be able to read him :stupid

@ImranTahirSA
·

Sagodhararey Intha anbum atharavume nan sambathitha miga periya pokkisham.Thadumarugiren ungaludaya anbinai kandu.ithuve unmayana manida neyam thalai vanangugiren ungalukku
westoelad
 
Posts: 5727
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:32 pm

westoelad wrote:If he's anything like his Twitter a/c nobody will be able to read him :stupid

@ImranTahirSA
·

Sagodhararey Intha anbum atharavume nan sambathitha miga periya pokkisham.Thadumarugiren ungaludaya anbinai kandu.ithuve unmayana manida neyam thalai vanangugiren ungalukku

:lmao
Bostock saying counties are after some more of our players ( God knows why!!) and Durham will offer "robust resistance" That of course doesn't mean the resistance won't be futile.
http://www.espn.co.uk/cricket/story/_/i ... ty-cricket
captaincolly
 
Posts: 24312
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby andy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:40 pm

Think you have done well to sign him to be honest, better than anything else you currently have, and he is a force in white ball cricket even at 39.
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner



Essex CCC county champions
andy
 
Posts: 17359
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Essex
Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:55 pm

andy wrote:Think you have done well to sign him to be honest, better than anything else you currently have, and he is a force in white ball cricket even at 39.

Yeah, he should do a decent job but it just has the feel of a signing that is a few years too late. Is Tahir the one who is dreadful with the bat and in the field? If he's one-dimensional he'll have to perform spectacularly with the ball. Let's hope he can!
captaincolly
 
Posts: 24312
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby andy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:56 pm

Yeah he's not good in field or with bat, but he is a quality white ball bowler, and you lot should be happy with the signing 100%
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner



Essex CCC county champions
andy
 
Posts: 17359
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Essex
Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:47 pm

captaincolly wrote:
Bostock saying counties are after some more of our players ( God knows why!!) and Durham will offer "robust resistance" That of course doesn't mean the resistance won't be futile.
http://www.espn.co.uk/cricket/story/_/i ... ty-cricket

Rushy would be in demand and possibly Coughlin Jnr could become Cashin Jnr just to keep big brother company.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5727
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:53 pm

captaincolly wrote:Yeah, he's certainly an improvement over what we have. Thing I don't ge with the two overseas players is - once we had Latham on board why not sign the second one when there must have been more options. If any players are available now it presumably means none of the other counties wanted them! Obviously it's a bit more complicated than that but still...

his Chennai time ended early after playing regularly in the early rounds. I suppose he may have picked up an injury and has only recently recovered.

Of course it might also mean that he wasn't quite doing the job that Chennai wanted and he was replaced

either way he lasted longer than Woody
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 34322
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:54 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
Bostock saying counties are after some more of our players ( God knows why!!) and Durham will offer "robust resistance" That of course doesn't mean the resistance won't be futile.
http://www.espn.co.uk/cricket/story/_/i ... ty-cricket

Rushy would be in demand and possibly Coughlin Jnr could become Cashin Jnr just to keep big brother company.

Cashin Jnr. :lol:
captaincolly
 
Posts: 24312
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:55 pm

blimey... I hope Woody isn't available :scared

pace off the ball, for me
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 34322
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: captaincolly and 2 guests