All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:14 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Yeah, he's certainly an improvement over what we have. Thing I don't ge with the two overseas players is - once we had Latham on board why not sign the second one when there must have been more options. If any players are available now it presumably means none of the other counties wanted them! Obviously it's a bit more complicated than that but still...

his Chennai time ended early after playing regularly in the early rounds. I suppose he may have picked up an injury and has only recently recovered.

Of course it might also mean that he wasn't quite doing the job that Chennai wanted and he was replaced

either way he lasted longer than Woody

6 wickets in 6 matches at 31 but went for 9 an over.
Previous year he took 18 wickets in 12 matches at 20.5 and went for 7.85.
Then again his economy rate in the previous years tended to be around 8.5.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25368
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby KingOttis » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:25 pm

andy wrote:Yeah he's not good in field or with bat, but he is a quality white ball bowler, and you lot should be happy with the signing 100%


Absolutely agree, and good to have a proven slow bowling option in T20. Still, I was hoping for a signing who could have a positive effect across all three formats, rather than just another fleeting T20 signing. Naively got my hopes up yesterday....
KingOttis
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:33 am
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC and Newcastle United.

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:43 pm

KingOttis wrote:
andy wrote:Yeah he's not good in field or with bat, but he is a quality white ball bowler, and you lot should be happy with the signing 100%


Absolutely agree, and good to have a proven slow bowling option in T20. Still, I was hoping for a signing who could have a positive effect across all three formats, rather than just another fleeting T20 signing. Naively got my hopes up yesterday....

Emmerson says another signing - probably a batsman is imminent - but I suspect it'll be a replacement for Tahir for the second part of the T20.
It's a pity Marty didn't elaborate on his tweet about the salary cap continuing for next season, I've never quite understood why he uses it as an excuse for a lack of signings because it was set when Coggers, Onions and Jennings were all on the wage bill so surely there is scope for signings. The trouble is it's highly unlikely any top players will be interested - although if Colly retires at the end of the season there surely will be enough money to maybe tempt a couple of good players.
But if the cap is being extended there must be a reason for it and I can't think what it could be.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25368
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:04 pm

Be interesting to see if Colly can still deliver bowlingwise in T20- if so he's worth his place regardless of his batting. We need a quality early order batsman for the end CC games to score the runs that Latham was expected to supply. Hopefully this is what Marty is eluding to.
Cook on a kolpak?
westoelad
 
Posts: 5925
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:16 pm

westoelad wrote:Be interesting to see if Colly can still deliver bowlingwise in T20- if so he's worth his place regardless of his batting. We need a quality early order batsman for the end CC games to score the runs that Latham was expected to supply. Hopefully this is what Marty is eluding to.

except we have Axar taking over when Latham leaves us after his 'season long stint'
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 35934
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:19 pm

ah.. of course.... you mean a kolpak signing.... sorry ... bit dim.... that's why you referenced Cook, and why you referenced Kolpak :facepalm

shows how naive I am that I immediately think overseas player when the talk is of an overseas player

how thick am I?

I'd be no blooming good if I worked for Surrey.... Hants.... Northants..... Notts...... Sussex..... well.... everybody really
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 35934
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:57 pm

Cook as a Kolpak would do for me, his dire form early season last year must have just been a case of struggling to adjust to the conditions and then he started to get runs. FC average in the 40's and he is the sort of gritty opening batsman who would be ideal for us. If not him then I think we need a similar type - top order batsman with a good FC record, we'll not find one on the county scene.

If Colly is fit his bowling is essential in the T20's, I wonder though if his poor batting form is down to the leg injury he seems troubled with - think he only bowled 4 overs in the last CC game. Then again 4 overs is all he needs in the T20! In the back of my mind I have a feeling that he will come good if he is fit enough, that might just be wishful thinking but I suppose the great players are the ones who can suddenly regain their touch just when they're about to be written off. Cook as opener or another similar type would also lessen the chance of the disastrous top order collapses and make it easier for Colly in the middle order.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25368
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:25 am

captaincolly wrote:Cook as a Kolpak would do for me, his dire form early season last year must have just been a case of struggling to adjust to the conditions and then he started to get runs. FC average in the 40's and he is the sort of gritty opening batsman who would be ideal for us. If not him then I think we need a similar type - top order batsman with a good FC record, we'll not find one on the county scene.

If Colly is fit his bowling is essential in the T20's, I wonder though if his poor batting form is down to the leg injury he seems troubled with - think he only bowled 4 overs in the last CC game. Then again 4 overs is all he needs in the T20! In the back of my mind I have a feeling that he will come good if he is fit enough, that might just be wishful thinking but I suppose the great players are the ones who can suddenly regain their touch just when they're about to be written off. Cook as opener or another similar type would also lessen the chance of the disastrous top order collapses and make it easier for Colly in the middle order.

Just found a Kolpak and he's playing against us on Tuesday evening. Gerrit Styman,24 year old with fc. av. 50+, currently playing for Benwell Hill. Over to you, Mr Bostock.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5925
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:49 am

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Cook as a Kolpak would do for me, his dire form early season last year must have just been a case of struggling to adjust to the conditions and then he started to get runs. FC average in the 40's and he is the sort of gritty opening batsman who would be ideal for us. If not him then I think we need a similar type - top order batsman with a good FC record, we'll not find one on the county scene.

If Colly is fit his bowling is essential in the T20's, I wonder though if his poor batting form is down to the leg injury he seems troubled with - think he only bowled 4 overs in the last CC game. Then again 4 overs is all he needs in the T20! In the back of my mind I have a feeling that he will come good if he is fit enough, that might just be wishful thinking but I suppose the great players are the ones who can suddenly regain their touch just when they're about to be written off. Cook as opener or another similar type would also lessen the chance of the disastrous top order collapses and make it easier for Colly in the middle order.

Just found a Kolpak and he's playing against us on Tuesday evening. Gerrit Styman,24 year old with fc. av. 50+, currently playing for Benwell Hill. Over to you, Mr Bostock.

Get him signed up!
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25368
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:42 pm

Coughlin making his debut for Notts. Playing as a batsman only.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25368
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:07 am

westoelad
 
Posts: 5925
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:14 am


"Technical breach" :lol:
Players will be queuing up to join such a generous employer. :facepalm
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25368
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:26 pm

I know it's not wise to read too much into club tweets but...Matt Salisbury has won the June player of the month and the tweet asks who would like him to stay longer. The inference must be that he is staying and they're about to announce it.
We will see!
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25368
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Someone responded to the question with " sign him now " and the response was that it would be a good plan so they must have. Hopefully that means a contract and not just a loan extension.

Edit: Signed until the end of 2020. Excellent news. https://www.durhamccc.co.uk/news-and-me ... igns-2020/
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25368
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:27 pm

some good news for a change
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 35934
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests