All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:48 pm

andy wrote:link dosent work for me....shame that he's retired...decent county pro

Nope, not working for me. All it adds to the stated is that he hopes to go into coaching and is currently coaching Kent 2nd during Min Patel's temporary absence.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5956
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby southwood » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:18 pm

westoelad wrote:
andy wrote:link dosent work for me....shame that he's retired...decent county pro

Nope, not working for me. All it adds to the stated is that he hopes to go into coaching and is currently coaching Kent 2nd during Min Patel's temporary absence.


Copy and pasted.

'I’ve given the game everything I can as a player': Kent's Gidman announces retirement
Will Gidman, 33, has also been on the books of Durham, Nottinghamshire and Gloucestershire over the course of his 15-year career, hitting more than 4,500 runs and taking 286 wickets across all formats



Will Gidman is to retire at the end of the campaign

Kent allrounder Will Gidman has announced he is to retire at the end of the 2018 county season.

Gidman, 33, has also been on the books of Durham, Nottinghamshire and Gloucestershire over the course of his 15-year career, hitting more than 4,500 runs and taking 286 wickets across all formats.

He has decided it is time to hang up bat and bowling boots, however.

"I feel I’ve given the game everything I can as a player and the time is right to move into coaching," Gidman said.

"I’ve enjoyed working with Matt Walker, Allan Donald and the first team squad in recent weeks and with Min in second team cricket too."

Gidman will get his first taste of coaching when he takes charge of the Kent 2nd XI over the coming weeks, while Patel works with the England Under-19 setup.

"The chance to lead the second XI for a couple of weeks and work with some exciting young talents is a great one for me as I make the transition from cricketer to coach," he said.

"I’ve worked with some experienced players and coaches and hope to share my knowledge with the lads and help them on the pathway to becoming established first class cricketers."
User avatar
southwood
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:27 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:09 pm

Always thought Gidman was hard done by at Durham. In direct competition with Harmi jnr who I felt got preference to appease big brother rather than on merit.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5956
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby southwood » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:07 pm

westoelad wrote:Always thought Gidman was hard done by at Durham. In direct competition with Harmi jnr who I felt got preference to appease big brother rather than on merit.

:thumb
User avatar
southwood
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:27 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:51 pm

southwood wrote:
westoelad wrote:Always thought Gidman was hard done by at Durham. In direct competition with Harmi jnr who I felt got preference to appease big brother rather than on merit.

:thumb

:thumb :thumb
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 36315
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:56 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
southwood wrote:
westoelad wrote:Always thought Gidman was hard done by at Durham. In direct competition with Harmi jnr who I felt got preference to appease big brother rather than on merit.

:thumb

:thumb :thumb

Definitely. If I remember correctly he was offered a contract extension but rejected it because he felt his first team opportunities would be limited. Think he had an untimely injury when he may have had more chances but Harmy Jnr was certainly above him in the pecking order.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25462
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:53 pm

this is interesting

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/44170761

They discovered just one club, Glamorgan, would have made a profit without ECB income being taken into account. However, their position was improved as they had more than £11.4m of debts written off in 2015.


that was handy

add to that the £2.5M for not hosting test matches

canny earner

pity they had to suffer so badly from punitive measures from FTECB :horse
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 36315
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:24 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:this is interesting

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/44170761

They discovered just one club, Glamorgan, would have made a profit without ECB income being taken into account. However, their position was improved as they had more than £11.4m of debts written off in 2015.


that was handy

add to that the £2.5M for not hosting test matches

canny earner

pity they had to suffer so badly from punitive measures from FTECB :horse

Indeed! That seems extraordinary- although Glammys great track record of producing England players may have been a factor. :lmao
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25462
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:46 am

Gawd bless ITB

"It is very competitive out there and everyone wants to get out of the second division. We won't do it this year but we'll do it next year with the way we are going and the way we are restructuring.


amazing what people will say when trying to launch their new wine range
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 36315
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:50 am

I also like the way that being unable to keep the best players at the club is called 'restructuring'

certainly we haven't lost any more players this year (so far), but equally there might be another reason for that
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 36315
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:06 am

Durhamfootman wrote:I also like the way that being unable to keep the best players at the club is called 'restructuring'

certainly we haven't lost any more players this year (so far), but equally there might be another reason for that

Yes, at the stage now where we wouldn't mind getting rid of a few!
Durhamfootman wrote:Gawd bless ITB

"It is very competitive out there and everyone wants to get out of the second division. We won't do it this year but we'll do it next year with the way we are going and the way we are restructuring.


amazing what people will say when trying to launch their new wine range

If Botham, Durham and 2 division county cricket are still around in 10 years time he'll probably still be saying " well we might not do it thus year but we definitely will next year."
I see he says he also wants to sign Rashid!
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25462
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:47 am

captaincolly wrote:I see he says he also wants to sign Rashid!

that's where I saw the quote

also must mean that Colly will retiring at the end of the season, otherwise we wouldn't be able to even dream about it let alone consider it.

No chance, of course.... why would a spinner even think about playing in the least spin friendly conditions in the country?
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 36315
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:50 am

can't believe how naive I am.... depends on the money, of course!

always dependent on the money

sports people the world over make the most surprising of decisions if the money on offer is good enough

which is fair enough... short career, and all that
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 36315
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:57 am

Durhamfootman wrote:
captaincolly wrote:I see he says he also wants to sign Rashid!

that's where I saw the quote

also must mean that Colly will retiring at the end of the season, otherwise we wouldn't be able to even dream about it let alone consider it.

No chance, of course.... why would a spinner even think about playing in the least spin friendly conditions in the country?

Yes. If we want a major signing he'd be well down the list for me - if his England test career continues he will hardly be available and if he doesn't re-establish himself as a test bowler we'd lose him for the one dayers in any case and he wouldn't be on a full central contract.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25462
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:32 pm

If you could sign anybody, Capt, who would you go for?
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 36315
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Durhamfootman and 2 guests