Hampshire 2018 thread

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Hampshire 2018 thread

Postby st_brendy » Sun May 27, 2018 6:25 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:What a complete disaster, ignore my post from 10 minutes ago!

I did wonder why you had jumped the gun.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Sun May 27, 2018 6:28 pm

haggishants wrote:How on earth did that just happen?

Kent bought the field up. We lacked the ability to get the ball past it.

Absolutely awful. No idea why we didn't bring Berg in ahead of McManus, albeit Lewis did only face two balls (and scored a single off each). It was Weatherley who batted out the dots. He won us that game, and then lost us that game. No-one else to blame but him.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sun May 27, 2018 6:38 pm

Maybe the length of innings in the heat had sapped all his strength and he had nothing left to give.

Could seriously knock his confidence, but then the hundred could help his confidence. So in effect nothing at all!
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby st_brendy » Sun May 27, 2018 6:42 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Maybe the length of innings in the heat had sapped all his strength and he had nothing left to give.

Could seriously knock his confidence, but then the hundred could help his confidence. So in effect nothing at all!

Retire hurt. Run yourself out. Run your teammate out. Get bat onto ball, and stick it straight up in the air.

Do not score two singles from eight balls. Might have even been nine balls.

You send Berg out ahead of Lewis, and no doubt he'd have said something to Joe. An experienced head passing on advice.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Sun May 27, 2018 6:46 pm

We've gone from being three points clear of second place, to two points clear of sixth place (or even seventh place) [once you take into account Surrey and Kent's spare game].

That is our biggest disaster since the defeat to Somerset back in 2010.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby haggishants » Wed May 30, 2018 3:01 pm

Set 200 in 45 overs. Let's hope they don't mess this one up.
haggishants

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed May 30, 2018 4:51 pm

I'm not saying anything this time....
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed May 30, 2018 5:57 pm

Comfortable again, if we hadn't screwed up last time we'd be pretty much qualified.

Starting to believe this side is very decent, probably struggle at 20 overs, but 50 overs could be the optimum range.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby st_brendy » Wed May 30, 2018 6:43 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Comfortable again, if we hadn't screwed up last time we'd be pretty much qualified.

Starting to believe this side is very decent, probably struggle at 20 overs, but 50 overs could be the optimum range.

Without Northeast and Dawson, and now Amla too, and resting Abbott, I'm still some way off that. But the results speak for themselves.

Victory over the wooden spoon of Glamorgan, and not only we will qualify, but we'll sail straight through to a home SF (subject to Kent not winning 3 out of 3, and us losing to Somerset).

Tough call for MOTM today.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed May 30, 2018 7:06 pm

Probably a toss up between Topley and Crane, but notable contributions from Vince and McManus again proving he's got more about him than we perhaps thought. Came in and saw us home again.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby st_brendy » Wed May 30, 2018 7:30 pm

It'll be interesting what we do, should we make the SF and Dawson and/or Northeast are fit again. On Sunday Dawson said that he was two to three weeks away, and Northeast a week behind that. So three days later, that roughly equates to two weeks and three weeks respectively. Well the SFs aren't until June 17th and 18th; even the QFs aren't until the 14th, should we have to go through them first. So there's a real chance that at least one of them will be back, possibly both.

Still two group games to go yet, so things might yet change. But based on the situation today, I think I would be quite ruthless and leave out both Alsop and Taylor.

We've also got the possibility of Steyn featuring next week. But as far as I'm aware, he'll have left to play for SA before the KO stages come along.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed May 30, 2018 7:41 pm

And Abbott?
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby st_brendy » Wed May 30, 2018 7:44 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:And Abbott?

He isn't injured though. Just rested. So if we're (seemingly) happy to rest him for the entire group stage, I'm not sure why would suddenly decide to play him in the KO stages. We have four-day matches the weeks before and after the KO stages.

(I'm not saying that I would necessarily agree with that. But this is the strategy we've adopted to date, so I would expect us to continue with it. Unless one of the bowlers gets injured.)
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed May 30, 2018 8:38 pm

I was under the impression he had turned his ankle and they didn't want to risk him, but surely he would play a QF or SF if fit.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby st_brendy » Wed May 30, 2018 8:49 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:I was under the impression he had turned his ankle and they didn't want to risk him, but surely he would play a QF or SF if fit.

That's why he couldn't bowl in our last four-day game. But he was on commentary for our opening one-day game, and said he was 95% fit again (no bowler is ever 100% fit) - if it was the red ball, he said he'd be out there.

He explained that last September he was shot to pieces, and that month almost cost us D1 status. So it was a pre-arranged plan this year to give him some, or all, of the one day comp off - with the aim that this time, he'll still have something in the tank come September.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket