Hampshire 2018 thread

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Hampshire 2018 thread

Postby st_brendy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:36 pm

The smallest part of me did wonder at one stage if I'd made a mistake at refusing to attend this one.

Somewhat strangely, if we're now going to drop/rest players, it'll have to be the likes of Ervine and Adams who we turn to. We're already playing most of the kids!
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby captaincolly » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:39 pm

st_brendy wrote:The smallest part of me did wonder at one stage if I'd made a mistake at refusing to attend this one.

Somewhat strangely, if we're now going to drop/rest players, it'll have to be the likes of Ervine and Adams who we turn to. We're already playing most of the kids!

Different formats but I wonder how you were so good in the RL50 but struggling in T20?
Other way round for Durham but Tahir obviously a huge factor plus Colly returning to form.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby st_brendy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:53 pm

captaincolly wrote:
st_brendy wrote:The smallest part of me did wonder at one stage if I'd made a mistake at refusing to attend this one.

Different formats but I wonder how you were so good in the RL50 but struggling in T20?
Other way round for Durham but Tahir obviously a huge factor plus Colly returning to form.

We got very, very lucky in the RL50 group stage. As was mentioned continuously, we had no middle order at all. Aside from a brilliant Berg knock down the order to somewhat steal a win away from Sussex, we relied entirely on our top four in that group stage. And even then, Rilee and Vince were very hit and miss. And we lost Amla half way through. Had we not won our penultimate game, we might not even have qualified, let alone won the group.

There were only three matches where we batted like a top one-day team: the final group game, the SF and the final. The latter two being greatly helped by Northeast returning from injury. But even in those three games, it was still down to the top order. Vince hit two 100s, Rilee hit one, and Northeast made two 50s.

Vince and Northeast are much, much better suited to 50 over, where they don't need to play the rash shot or try something fancy. And given the massive hit and miss nature of Rilee, we badly shot ourselves in the foot by signing another such player in Munro. We quickly realised our mistake so attempted to rectify it by splitting them up and dropping Rilee down from opener to no.4 - which is an awful place to bat someone who is hit and miss, because if you do lose two or three early wickets then you're facing a very high probability of him then adding to that.

On balance though, I'd still say that the middle order is a bigger issue than the top order. As much as you don't want to lose early wickets, you can still recover if you have good batting depth. Twice Dawson has done just that for us. But Alsop, McManus and Weatherley have hardly scored a run between them (same for Taylor in the Rl50), and we play too many bowlers who can't bat. In the past, our middle order would be Ervine, McKenzie and a solid overseas player (Bailey, Katich, Christian, McLaren). And moreover, that would be off the back of a more reliable top order featuring Carberry and Adams.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby captaincolly » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:15 pm

st_brendy wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

We got very, very lucky in the RL50 group stage. As was mentioned continuously, we had no middle order at all. Aside from a brilliant Berg knock down the order to somewhat steal a win away from Sussex, we relied entirely on our top four in that group stage. And even then, Rilee and Vince were very hit and miss. And we lost Amla half way through. Had we not won our penultimate game, we might not even have qualified, let alone won the group.

There were only three matches where we batted like a top one-day team: the final group game, the SF and the final. The latter two being greatly helped by Northeast returning from injury. But even in those three games, it was still down to the top order. Vince hit two 100s, Rilee hit one, and Northeast made two 50s.

Vince and Northeast are much, much better suited to 50 over, where they don't need to play the rash shot or try something fancy. And given the massive hit and miss nature of Rilee, we badly shot ourselves in the foot by signing another such player in Munro. We quickly realised our mistake so attempted to rectify it by splitting them up and dropping Rilee down from opener to no.4 - which is an awful place to bat someone who is hit and miss, because if you do lose two or three early wickets then you're facing a very high probability of him then adding to that.

On balance though, I'd still say that the middle order is a bigger issue than the top order. As much as you don't want to lose early wickets, you can still recover if you have good batting depth. Twice Dawson has done just that for us. But Alsop, McManus and Weatherley have hardly scored a run between them (same for Taylor in the Rl50), and we play too many bowlers who can't bat. In the past, our middle order would be Ervine, McKenzie and a solid overseas player (Bailey, Katich, Christian, McLaren). And moreover, that would be off the back of a more reliable top order featuring Carberry and Adams.

Sounds a bit like Durham in the T20. Heavily reliant on the top 3, works in conditions where it's likely to be low scoring games but don't have batting depth.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby st_brendy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:51 pm

That's not bad from us. Only about 40 under par this time.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby Durhamfootman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:41 pm

you'll have to get the ball-biter back next year
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby st_brendy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:52 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:you'll have to get the ball-biter back next year

Think I'd rather Raine and Duckett.

Not that we can ever beat Warks to signing players.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby Durhamfootman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:19 pm

there is no good time to bowl two wides, of course, but it seems particularly bad when trying to defend 6
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:14 am

Without checking the records i cant remember us ever turning in a t20 campaign as bad as this. If we've failed to qualify for the quarters we've pretty much always been in contention every year.

The middle order weakness should have stopped us winning the Royal London, but its certainly shown up big time in the t20.

Munros gone, probably relieved to get away, and it seems Vince and Roussouw cant be arsed now.

Good crowd in last night even with Hants down and out.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby st_brendy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:50 pm

Yep, still got no middle order. God Weatherley is poor.

Not quite sure why we didn't promote Berg to 3.

Wasp had us getting 210 at one point. Now 150 looks a long way off.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:43 pm

Dawson's highest score of the Championship season. Down at no.8.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:52 pm

Weather has brightened significantly as the afternoon has gone on, the innings has picked up too in the last hour, thankfully.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby st_brendy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:53 pm

st_brendy wrote:Dawson's highest score of the Championship season. Down at no.8.

Although he hasn't scored since I wrote that. Stuck on 41. Which is always a worry, a batter getting stuck.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:54 pm

There we go. Onto 45.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:57 pm

Surrey struggling against Lancs and the same goes for Yorks against Worcs. Although Yorks are still well in the relegation mix.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket