Hampshire 2018 thread

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Hampshire 2018 thread

Postby st_brendy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Looks like Yorks will beat Lancs.

Assuming that happens, Lancs are almost done for. To overtake us for example, they would have to come to our place and take away a 22 more points than we do, plus whatever we take from Yorks next week. Given that 24 points is obviously the maximum available for each match, that's almost impossible - and indeed, three points for us against Yorks will make it impossible.

It's not even really as if Lancs could target someone other than us to overtake - because us, Yorks, and the loser of Essex-Notts, will all be very close to each other. Whilst the winner of Essex-Notts will be clear and safe.

In fact, if Worcs lose too, then a six team relegation battle at the start of the week, will pretty much suddenly be all concluded at the end of the week.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby Hampshireboi » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:55 pm

Be nice to enjoy the last few matches for a change...
Pro 40 Fantasy league guru
Hampshireboi

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:11 am

Must admit I was following the cricket yesterday until around 3pm. The Lancs v York's was pretty even, Lancs were 30/1 in the second innings. Worcs were 150/3 and in a strong position nagainst Surrey.

I look this morning and Lancs are probably going to lose and Surrey turn it right round to be faves against Worcs.

As has been said defeat for Lancs and Worcs pretty much seals their fate, and maybe we can look at possibly finishing third instead of worrying about the drop.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby st_brendy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:10 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Must admit I was following the cricket yesterday until around 3pm. The Lancs v York's was pretty even, Lancs were 30/1 in the second innings. Worcs were 150/3 and in a strong position nagainst Surrey.

I look this morning and Lancs are probably going to lose and Surrey turn it right round to be faves against Worcs.

As has been said defeat for Lancs and Worcs pretty much seals their fate, and maybe we can look at possibly finishing third instead of worrying about the drop.

And that arguably goes a very long way to explaining why they both are where they are. It's not the 150-all-outs which send you down; that happens to loads of sides. But losing games from positions of strength is always a hammer blow. As you alluded to, both Worcs and Lancs were in good positions during their matches. Indeed, they both had first innings leads.

If you're even losing games which you're competing well in, what chance to do you have.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby mark the hawk » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Please correct me if i'm wrong but with Worcs being all out without picking up any batting points and us having picked up 4 wickets so far , am I right in thinking we just need two more points to be safe ?
mark the hawk

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire, Havant and Waterlooville.
follower of Southampton and Hibernian.

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:40 pm

At tea with Yorks 110/6, and us having secured 2 bonus points, we need another four to be mathematically safe.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:56 pm

184 is probably a decent score for Yorks, considering conditions and our batting lineup.

Although with Berg back in the side our batting is marginally stronger.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby haggishants » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:23 pm

The joy of not really being too bothered at the tail end of the season for once!
haggishants

Postby st_brendy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:48 pm

I think we can realistically forget about getting the batting points to keep us up (139 is the magic number, which means we need three more points. Even if Worcs failed to get another wicket, we would still need one more point). And similarly it doesn't look like this match will be a draw. So securing survival this week comes down to either beating Yorks, or Worcs not beating Essex. The former is debatable. The latter looks exceptionally likely.

It would be nice to beat Yorks though. Mainly for the points, of course. But also because it just keeps Lancs alive - which would mean we'd hold all the cards next week, in the event of any declarations or last day run chases. (Although it's difficult to remember what those things are, based on recent weeks across the country.)
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:04 pm

I think this game is gone, no way we'll chase over 200 in a fourth innings with our useless top order.

I would go for flipping the order, as we aren't going down, just for a laff.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Most of the wickets going to spinners today, and Yorkshire don't have any spinners. Which might level off the second half of the game.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby westoelad » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:42 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Most of the wickets going to spinners today, and Yorkshire don't have any spinners. Which might level off the second half of the game.

The weather is going to level off the second half of the game.
westoelad

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:42 am

Aneurin Donald on the field as replacement keeper for Alsop who has a bruised hand.

Can't understand why he isn't playing, why sign him on loan til the end of the season? He can't be worse than Weatherley or Soames.

Yorkshire have already got plenty.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby haggishants » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:59 am

Rain due around 2pm ,I think, for the rest of the day. So then try and bat out for a draw tomorrow?
haggishants

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:28 pm

Yep rain came at lunchtime, looks unlikely anymore play today.

Forecast suggests light rain most of the day tomorrow so might not get a full days play.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket