County Championship 2018 Chat Thread.

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: County Championship 2018 Chat Thread.

Postby captaincolly » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:43 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:Kent/Leics will be all over today too

Yeah. Leicester having a great CC season - probably for the first time in about 20 years!
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby captaincolly » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:44 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Maybe Lancs have their own version of Nigel and treatment for the wrist injury resulted in a fractured thumb. :lol:

Nige would be insisting that's it's just a niggle and fully expects him to back for the next game

:lol:
captaincolly

Postby st_brendy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:02 pm

captaincolly wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:Kent/Leics will be all over today too

Yeah. Leicester having a great CC season - probably for the first time in about 20 years!

For D2, they have a decent looking bowling attack.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby captaincolly » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:13 pm

Not many runs for Root in the Roses match but he's probably ended any chance of a Lancs win - wicket maiden over and his victim was Buttler on 50.
captaincolly

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:19 pm

Hmm. Plenty for for Lancs to get, but not enough for a fait accompli. Still a plausible twist in this game.

Are we awarding the CC to Surrey yet?
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:20 pm

Only day two. Games move along so quickly now.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:25 pm

Anderson, Broad and Root having poor games.

Makes me wonder if it's worth playing the England stars.

Or if they don't give their best in these games?

It doesn't feel like the days of Graham Gooch when he'd demonstrate for his county that he was a class above when he's playing for Essex.

Buttler not standing out for Lancs when he could have won the match for them.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:27 pm

There was press last week that Rashid would be playing Tests this summer. Yet he's not back playing for Yorkshire.

If he was going to play v India, surely it would be essential he played some fc cricket.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby captaincolly » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:46 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:There was press last week that Rashid would be playing Tests this summer. Yet he's not back playing for Yorkshire.

If he was going to play v India, surely it would be essential he played some fc cricket.

I think either Farbrace or Bayliss implied that him not playing FC cricket didn't necessarily rule him out and mentioned Buttler. Key difference of course on that Buttler did not announce his 'retirement' from red ball cricket.
There was a story in The Sunday Times inferring that Yorks might not award Rashid a new contract if he won't commit to playing all forms. Interestingly the article mentioned Worcestershire as a likely destination should be leave Headingley.
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:01 pm

Here's Atherton writing on The Times:

It would be entirely wrong if Adil Rashid were to be selected for Test cricket against India while still unavailable for Yorkshire. After his sparkling form in the one-day series, particularly his ball to dismiss Virat Kohli, there has been a suggestion from some quarters that Rashid may be parachuted into the team, despite his reluctance to play first-class cricket for his county.

Probably the best one-day international spinner in England’s history, and a bowler who looked like he was getting the hang of Test cricket when he took 30 wickets in seven Tests two winters ago on the tours of India and Bangladesh, Rashid made a decision at the start of the summer to concentrate on one-day cricket only. Although disappointing for his county, their supporters and those, like me, who hoped to see him challenging for Test selection, that was entirely his prerogative.

It is absolutely his place to pick and choose formats; it is not his place to pick and choose matches within formats. When asked last week about his availability for the India series, Rashid was quoted as saying: “If England do want me to be part of the squad for the series against India, then I’ll consider it.” Trevor Bayliss, England’s coach, raised the possibility of it happening too: “Could he get picked in the Test team on white-ball form? Well it’s happened once this year with Jos Buttler.”

He goes on to say that Buttler's situation is entirely different because he didn't abandon FC cricket and claims that Yorkshire asked Rashid to reconsider his availability for first class cricket earlier in the season ( during the RL 50) and he declined which was why they then signed Josh Poysden on loan.

Athers basic point is that even though Rashid may be the best spinner available for the tests he shouldn't be considered until/unless he proves so by returning to FC cricket for Yorkshire and making his case.
captaincolly

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:06 pm

I agree with that. I also don't think Rashid's ODI form will mean he will be a good Test bowler. I don't think it works like that. The balance of the contest between bat and ball is entirely different.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby captaincolly » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:17 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:I agree with that. I also don't think Rashid's ODI form will mean he will be a good Test bowler. I don't think it works like that. The balance of the contest between bat and ball is entirely different.

Yeah. Atherton write that long-form cricket is much harder physically and mentally and, rather than playing FC cricket for Yorkshire, in an attempt to prove the people who doubted his credentials for test cricket was wrong, he chose to walk away.

I suppose the counter-argument is that if he did get a test call and performed well he'd regain confidence and then presumably make himself available to Yorkshire in all formats. I agree with you and Athers though, it'd be wrong to pick him right now.
captaincolly

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:23 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Hmm. Plenty for for Lancs to get, but not enough for a fait accompli. Still a plausible twist in this game.

might have to
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby captaincolly » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Hmm. Plenty for for Lancs to get, but not enough for a fait accompli. Still a plausible twist in this game.

might have to

I suppose to be fair to them they have finally managed to have a team with a strong homegrown contingent and combined with their spending power it does make them a formidable outfit. Burns, Foakes, Pope, the Curran boys, Virdi, Dernbach and Rikki Clarke ( who eventually found his way back home!) are their own players I think.
captaincolly

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:48 pm

captaincolly wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:There was press last week that Rashid would be playing Tests this summer. Yet he's not back playing for Yorkshire.

I think either Farbrace or Bayliss implied that him not playing FC cricket didn't necessarily rule him out and mentioned Buttler. Key difference of course on that Buttler did not announce his 'retirement' from red ball cricket.
There was a story in The Sunday Times inferring that Yorks might not award Rashid a new contract if he won't commit to playing all forms. Interestingly the article mentioned Worcestershire as a likely destination should be leave Headingley.

Personally would not berudge Rashid moving to another county to enhance his career, reckon he would thrive with a different head coach than the one Yorkshire currently have.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket