RL One Day Cup 2018 chat thread

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: RL One Day Cup 2018 chat thread

Postby st_brendy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:I don't understand why we would want to dilute momentum (small m). what's wrong with teams coming to the KO's in red hot form? would that not lead to better quality matches.... or is that not allowed these days?

There has to be some sort of gap between the group stage and the KO stage though.

Firstly, to allow tickets to be sold etc.

Secondly, because with this format of the group winners going straight into the SFs (which, as I say, I like - getting to skip a whole round is a very nice reward for winning your group), then by definition there's a delay whilst they sit out a round.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Anyway, I wonder if Billings getting a late call-up for the ODI today means that he'll be unavailable for Kent tomorrow.

Causes them something of a headache; not only is Billings a class batsman, but the fact that he's a keeper means that they can play five bowlers in addition to Denly. When they were having to play Rouse at the start of the group stage, with Billings at the IPL, they looked very unbalanced with four bowlers plus Denly (given that they were playing an extra batter, along with Rouse keeping). Lost their first two games, and it really should have been three defeats from four if we'd finished the game properly.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby captaincolly » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:24 pm

st_brendy wrote:Anyway, I wonder if Billings getting a late call-up for the ODI today means that he'll be unavailable for Kent tomorrow.

Causes them something of a headache; not only is Billings a class batsman, but the fact that he's a keeper means that they can play five bowlers in addition to Denly. When they were having to play Rouse at the start of the group stage, with Billings at the IPL, they looked very unbalanced with four bowlers plus Denly (given that they were playing an extra batter, along with Rouse keeping). Lost their first two games, and it really should have been three defeats from four if we'd finished the game properly.

Billings not in the squad :
Spitfires: Number 23 Daniel Bell-Drummond, 6 Joe Denly (c), 4 Heino Kuhn, 58 Sean Dickson, 10 Alex Blake, 3 Darren Stevens, 42 Will Gidman, 12 Adam Rouse (wk), 25 Calum Haggett, 24 Matt Henry, 1 Harry Podmore, 8 Mitch Claydon, 11 Imran Qayyum, 33 Adam Riley
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:17 pm

st_brendy wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:I don't understand why we would want to dilute momentum (small m). what's wrong with teams coming to the KO's in red hot form? would that not lead to better quality matches.... or is that not allowed these days?

There has to be some sort of gap between the group stage and the KO stage though.

Firstly, to allow tickets to be sold etc.

Secondly, because with this format of the group winners going straight into the SFs (which, as I say, I like - getting to skip a whole round is a very nice reward for winning your group), then by definition there's a delay whilst they sit out a round.

fair enough
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby westoelad » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:02 pm

captaincolly wrote:
st_brendy wrote:Anyway, I wonder if Billings getting a late call-up for the ODI today means that he'll be unavailable for Kent tomorrow.

Spitfires: Number 23 Daniel Bell-Drummond, 6 Joe Denly (c), 4 Heino Kuhn, 58 Sean Dickson, 10 Alex Blake, 3 Darren Stevens, 42 Will Gidman, 12 Adam Rouse (wk), 25 Calum Haggett, 24 Matt Henry, 1 Harry Podmore, 8 Mitch Claydon, 11 Imran Qayyum, 33 Adam Riley

Kent still relying on Durham rejects, Gidman, Mitch, Podmore not to mention Saggers, Baby Harmi and Bob in the past.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:16 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

Kent still relying on Durham rejects, Gidman, Mitch, Podmore not to mention Saggers, Baby Harmi and Bob in the past.

For some reason I thought Claydon retired after last season - obviously not!
captaincolly

Postby st_brendy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:59 am

I need to pay more attention to the North Group (both white ball formats), to see how on earth Worcs manage to constantly progress through the group stages.

On paper they often look very average and, as is being shown here, when it comes to the KO stages they often get sent straight home.

It's just a waste of a qualifying spot.

Kent are absolutely strolling to Lords right now, and entirely deserved.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby captaincolly » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:02 pm

st_brendy wrote:I need to pay more attention to the North Group (both white ball formats), to see how on earth Worcs manage to constantly progress through the group stages.

On paper they often look very average and, as is being shown here, when it comes to the KO stages they often get sent straight home.

Even we beat Worcs in the group stages.
captaincolly

Postby st_brendy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:06 pm

captaincolly wrote:
st_brendy wrote:I need to pay more attention to the North Group (both white ball formats), to see how on earth Worcs manage to constantly progress through the group stages.

I do hope they turn it around though.

Because if we win tomorrow, I would definitely rather play Worcs in the final than Kent. Even with Moeen available.

(Although if we were to lose tomorrow, a Yorks-Worcs final could be horribly one-sided for neutral viewing)
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby captaincolly » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:10 pm

st_brendy wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

I do hope they turn it around though.

Because if we win tomorrow, I would definitely rather play Worcs in the final than Kent. Even with Moeen available.

(Although if we were to lose tomorrow, a Yorks-Worcs final could be horribly one-sided for neutral viewing)

I suppose there's a chance Kent could wobble if they're set any half decent target although there was no sign of that in the previous game. Quite the opposite.
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:14 pm

It might be a challenging target how. Could be 300!
captaincolly

Postby st_brendy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:18 pm

I wonder how fit Claydon is. His death bowling would surely have been a lot better than this rubbish from Haggett.

All goes back to that bad drop from Blake. Worcs would have been about 60-5.

Brilliant from Cox though, brilliant.

That said Worcs are still something like 40 runs short of the average score at New Road this year. And Kent have a cracking top three.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:50 pm

st_brendy wrote:

Worcs beat Yorks by 4 runs in the league stage.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby st_brendy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:05 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
st_brendy wrote:

Worcs beat Yorks by 4 runs in the league stage.

Worcs beat a kind of Yorks reserves by 4 runs in the league stage.

Add in Root, Bairstow, Willey and Plunkett, and you basically have a different team, such is the status/ability of those players. I note that Balance didn't play in that match either.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:10 pm

Rashid did though, and Mo wasn't available for them. Fair enough, I forgot the England players will be back. But Worcs qualified well out of the northern group.

Tomorrow, Pujara is available (thanks to Afghanistan's two day loss) and Alex Lees has been called up.

Gary Ballance
Tim Bresnan
Harry Brook
Jack Brooks
Karl Carver
Ben Coad
Matthew Fisher
Tom Kohler-Cadmore
Jack Leaning
Alex Lees
Adam Lyth
Steven Patterson ©