Is Kolpak limiting chances for young English players?

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Is Kolpak limiting chances for young English players?

Postby sussexpob » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:01 am

The ironic thing is, while people laid into these two teams for being Kolpak central and not giving chances to young English kids, what exactly do you think these two counties have as incentive? When you think of the English players that played for them in and around this time, what happened to them? Broad buggered off as soon as he could, despite the fact hed worked with the county since he was at Oakham School. James Taylor buggered off as quickly. Monty Panesar showed form, went to England, was returned with a drinking problem and a serious crisis of personality. Graeme Swann buggered off to Notts. Darry Maddy went for the Warwickshire pay day. Even guys like Luke Wright left without playing a game at Leicestershire because Sussex could pay him better. Teams invest years developing guys, but a richer county just comes along as soon as that contract ends, and there you go. Even someone like Aftab Habib going back further paid his own contract out because Essex could offer him so much better.

Its so easy to turn round and say "these clubs should do this and that"... the fact is, producing a good county pro for these clubs just means said player will bugger off as soon as he shows form. Having an English international is a lot like a close family member moving to Australia, he comes back now and then for a week, and then disappears for another 3 years. Whats the point? These players arent helping counties like this. Durham bankrupted themselves to pay for their glistening academy. Wonder how much delight you will get from youngsters playing now knowing that, as the money dries up, all those good scores your youngsters get will just hasten their journey to Surrey that much quicker. England crocked Wood, and who's now paying him inflated wages? Stoneman, gone. Jennings, gone. Coughlin, gone. Get used to it.

If you continually suck out the best 20 odd players form the system. If you stop access to cheaper, good value alternative pros who can bring up standards, and limit those crickters a county can bring in to players who arent playing in international cricket, then yes, you are going to feel the standard.

What did the Kolpak crack down get Leicestershire? The only post war dual season CC period without a championship win!!! They are faced with a test batsman of good quality, and he plundered 350 not out. They had a subpar team of no hopers.

In 2008, the lowest rung championship game had 1595 international caps...... the test team went on in that period to become the best. We replaced that with batsman averaging 20, bowlers in the 30-40s, and the test team is going 7-8 games without a win.

You dont see the link here?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:13 am

I also refute this idea that English cricket can attract a very good standard of player. Morkel and Abbott prematurely turned their back on their International teams while they were still very much involved in order to make money. If top International bowlers can be attracted to England rather than play internationals, then one could surely conclude that any South African with time off (and they arent playing at the moment, are they?) could come to England and play for the money involved. Pakistan dont get IPL, so they would play. Plenty of Windies players have left the Caribbean to forge careers in the UK. Australians? Been plenty play recently, and their former captain has said more than once his stint at Kent 2nds was a period that helped define his career.

What holds them back? This idiotic rule for overseas players, and the requirement that for kolpaks they have to retire. Why? What would be bad about Steyn, ABDV and what not coming here and playing?

Crowds up, check. Standards up, check. Any negatives? Oh yeah, they take the place of an English player who is probably rubbish. Bad times
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby westoelad » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:22 pm

A glance through Playfair Annual and they're listed by the dozen-run of the mill imo. I prefer to watch young local players developing through the system. Don't Have to be local even-no objection to the likes of Jordan, Jennings and I'm sure many others who arrive in their youth. Have as many nature Kolpacks as you like if that's what you want -each to his own.
Durham didn't bankrupt themselves paying for their Academy-academies are funded largely by a ring-fenced ECB grant-Durham top theirs up with their own development fund They bankrupted themselves by trying to develop a Test standard ground.
westoelad

Postby sussexpob » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:47 pm

westoelad wrote:Durham didn't bankrupt themselves paying for their Academy-academies are funded largely by a ring-fenced ECB grant-Durham top theirs up with their own development fund They bankrupted themselves by trying to develop a Test standard ground.

The Academy cost £300,000 a year, which by memory from previous discussions was 6/7 times the amount Sussex paid. This is a bit like arguing that its not the Lambo in the driveway that bankrupted you, it was the house you bought that you couldnt pay the mortgage on. Argue, twist, whatever.... you will never escape the fact that Durham's successful academy was funded on the back of a business model that lead to financial ruin. It cannot be used on any level to indicate success. All counties would produce more England players if they had an academy that bankrupted them. Thats how investment works. More money, better standards. £400,000 was the cash you needed to be loaned to stay solvent. Even without the academy you'd have gone under, so you werent even close to being able to afford to pay for it.

So take away all those brilliant young players, and what is Durham left with? Probably a similar position to the one you managed last year.

I prefer to watch young local players developing through the system.

So you'd rather see the national team in a poor state, the county system die around you to the point it probably wont exist much longer, on the basis that you like seeing people from Stanley score a century every other year, than a guy from Durban?

A glance through Playfair Annual and they're listed by the dozen-run of the mill imo.

Lets see some examples. As I said, the very famous example of that game above was 1595 international caps :laugh

Nothing speaks utter shite like a game where the average player has 72.5 games at the highest level.

sussexpob

Postby westoelad » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:17 pm

I'd rather be able to express an opinion on my preferences without others responding with expletives.I enjoy watching young local players progressing to the highest level of the game. Others have a different view and I fully accept their right to hold and express that view. I wouldn't resort to using expletives when opposing their view.
Hardly a matter of any importance that people hold conflicting views on a cricket issue.
westoelad

Postby sussexpob » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:31 pm

westoelad wrote:I'd rather be able to express an opinion on my preferences without others responding with expletives.I enjoy watching young local players progressing to the highest level of the game. Others have a different view and I fully accept their right to hold and express that view. I wouldn't resort to using expletives when opposing their view.
Hardly a matter of any importance that people hold conflicting views on a cricket issue.

Shame there isnt a snowflake emoji.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:38 pm

He should really score there, or at least force a save

sussexpob

Postby westoelad » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:45 pm

sussexpob wrote:
westoelad wrote:I'd rather be able to express an opinion on my preferences without others responding with expletives.I enjoy watching young local players progressing to the highest level of the game. Others have a different view and I fully accept their right to hold and express that view. I wouldn't resort to using expletives when opposing their view.

Shame there isnt a snowflake emoji.

In this weather?
westoelad

Previous

Return to Domestic Cricket