Hampshire 2019 Thread

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Hampshire 2019 Thread

Postby st_brendy » Sat May 18, 2019 5:27 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:Is there any chance at all that England might drop Denly for Daws when they name their final 15?

I reckon it's about 70-30 in Denly's favour. He's the man in possession.

Obviously I'm biased, but for me the place should absolutely be Dawson's. He's a better bowler, more used to featuring in important matches (finals etc), and naturally bats down at 6 or 7. Denly looks completely out of place down there for England; he's a top four batter.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby captaincolly » Sat May 18, 2019 5:31 pm

st_brendy wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:Is there any chance at all that England might drop Denly for Daws when they name their final 15?

I reckon it's about 70-30 in Denly's favour. He's the man in possession.

Obviously I'm biased, but for me the place should absolutely be Dawson's. He's a better bowler, more used to featuring in important matches (finals etc), and naturally bats down at 6 or 7. Denly looks completely out of place down there for England; he's a top four batter.

Totally agree. Denly isn't a proper bowler or middle order one day batsman so Dawson is clearly a better option. But, as you say, is very unlikely to get selected.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby st_brendy » Sun May 19, 2019 1:06 pm

Of course if Dawson does get called up this week, then we'll be monumental underdogs for the final on Saturday. That would leave us with no Vince, no Dawson, no Wood, no Markram and no Rahane. Weatherley and Taylor would probably both have to start, who between them have bowled three overs and haven't faced a single ball so far in the competition.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun May 19, 2019 9:07 pm

st_brendy wrote: Denly looks completely out of place down there for England; he's a top four batter.

I like Denly, and I wish him well, but I agree.... he's the wrong horse for the course they want him to ride. I personally think that if Dawson was in England's mind then he'd have played some part in this last series. But this is England, of course, so common sense can be immediately disregarded
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby captaincolly » Sun May 19, 2019 9:54 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
st_brendy wrote: Denly looks completely out of place down there for England; he's a top four batter.

I like Denly, and I wish him well, but I agree.... he's the wrong horse for the course they want him to ride. I personally think that if Dawson was in England's mind then he'd have played some part in this last series. But this is England, of course, so common sense can be immediately disregarded

Speaking of common sense , Nasser Hussain was talking about David Willey and said one thing that might boost his chances of making the squad was because the games start at 10.30 as opposed to 11am.
captaincolly

Postby SaintPowelly » Mon May 20, 2019 10:30 am

st_brendy wrote:Of course if Dawson does get called up this week, then we'll be monumental underdogs for the final on Saturday. That would leave us with no Vince, no Dawson, no Wood, no Markram and no Rahane. Weatherley and Taylor would probably both have to start, who between them have bowled three overs and haven't faced a single ball so far in the competition.

Why no Rahane?
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby SaintPowelly » Mon May 20, 2019 10:31 am

Berg tweeted this morning indicating he isn’t playing today, not sure if being rested for Saturday
SaintPowelly

Postby captaincolly » Mon May 20, 2019 10:42 am

SaintPowelly wrote:
st_brendy wrote:Of course if Dawson does get called up this week, then we'll be monumental underdogs for the final on Saturday. That would leave us with no Vince, no Dawson, no Wood, no Markram and no Rahane. Weatherley and Taylor would probably both have to start, who between them have bowled three overs and haven't faced a single ball so far in the competition.

Why no Rahane?

I don't know if this is the case but perhaps there's a rule about not being able to play in the final if you haven't played in the group stages?
captaincolly

Postby SaintPowelly » Mon May 20, 2019 11:02 am

captaincolly wrote:
SaintPowelly wrote:

Why no Rahane?

I don't know if this is the case but perhaps there's a rule about not being able to play in the final if you haven't played in the group stages?

I did think that, little harsh if the guy is playing the other formats. I know they bought in a rule after Essex signed Bravo for Finals Day, but I assumed that was a T20 rule
SaintPowelly

Postby captaincolly » Mon May 20, 2019 11:05 am

SaintPowelly wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
SaintPowelly wrote:

Why no Rahane?

I did think that, little harsh if the guy is playing the other formats. I know they bought in a rule after Essex signed Bravo for Finals Day, but I assumed that was a T20 rule

Yeah, it's almost impossible to keep track of the rules because the ECB keep tinkering with them.
captaincolly

Postby SaintPowelly » Mon May 20, 2019 11:10 am

I was a little surprised that SA haven’t let Markram stay with us until start of tournament, surely playing in a Lords Final is better prep than a training camp?
SaintPowelly

Postby captaincolly » Mon May 20, 2019 11:29 am

SaintPowelly wrote:I was a little surprised that SA haven’t let Markram stay with us until start of tournament, surely playing in a Lords Final is better prep than a training camp?

I think that's because once he's named in their squad he can't play any other form of cricket. The ruling is an ICC one not an ECB one so , for once, the dreaded ECB can't be blamed.
captaincolly

Postby SaintPowelly » Mon May 20, 2019 2:14 pm

captaincolly wrote:
SaintPowelly wrote:I was a little surprised that SA haven’t let Markram stay with us until start of tournament, surely playing in a Lords Final is better prep than a training camp?

I think that's because once he's named in their squad he can't play any other form of cricket. The ruling is an ICC one not an ECB one so , for once, the dreaded ECB can't be blamed.

Just seen we need ICC permission for Vince, should Dawson be picked up we could be screwed.
SaintPowelly

Postby SaintPowelly » Mon May 20, 2019 2:21 pm

Our Run Rate is 2.5, Mullaney has bowled 11 overs for 9 runs, its embarrassing now.
SaintPowelly

Postby captaincolly » Mon May 20, 2019 2:22 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

Just seen we need ICC permission for Vince, should Dawson be picked up we could be screwed.

As you said earlier the logical decision would be for one or both to be available. But as DFM said, logical decisions aren't often made.
captaincolly

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket