Spot Fixing?

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Spot Fixing?

Postby st_brendy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:25 pm

2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Re: Eng vs Pak, Fourth Test, Lords, Aug 26-30

Postby betterpolo » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:42 pm

Arrests been made apparently...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11122388
betterpolo

Re: Eng vs Pak, Fourth Test, Lords, Aug 26-30

Postby SaintPowelly » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:46 pm

st_brendy wrote:http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/924349/Cricket-in-the-dock-as-we-expose-betting-scandal-England-Pakistan-Test.html

I hope it's somehow not true.

It would certainly explain Kamran Akmals wicketkeeping.. no-one can be that bad
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Re: Pakistan Spot Fixing?

Postby ddb » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:51 pm

:no

Amir :(
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby betterpolo » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:54 pm

Instinct is to not believe anything from News International but it's unfortunate that the claims coincide with at least one example of ridiculous over-stepping...
betterpolo

Postby SaintPowelly » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:06 pm

I think that this is the same bloke/same people that got the snooker player John Higgins to admit throwing games.

If this is true ( which it must be ) Pakistan could/should be given a ban from playing cricket.
SaintPowelly

Postby flyinginabluedream » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:18 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:I think that this is the same bloke/same people that got the snooker player John Higgins to admit throwing games.

If this is true ( which it must be ) Pakistan could/should be given a ban from playing cricket.

It's interesting that the no-balls in question were so clearly overstepped. If I was intending to "fix" details during the game, I would probably try to conceal it. This leads me to think that perhaps the Pakistani players involved were overtly revealing what they were asked to do.

That is all conjecture, but it is another tarnished series now. I don't think banning Pakistan will help either Pakistani cricket or the game itself and I really hope that does not happen. Some of the bowlers in these series have proven to be exceptional and it would be a great shame for them to be lost.

Only time will tell what happens, but I really hate all this.
flyinginabluedream

Team(s) Supported: Lancashire and England

Postby SaintPowelly » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:41 pm

When Bangladesh came over here for the test series, Tamim Iqbal was asked about match fixing and he claimed that he had been approached twice and both times he had reported it to the Bangladesh Cricket Board and to police.

That is the correct way to deal with an approach, maybe banning Pakistan would be harsh, but the players should be given the Hansie Cronje treatment and be banned for life, Mohammed Aamer has all the potential in the world and has thrown it away for a few thousand pounds.

I personally would imprison them, but I doubt that would happen either

I would be saying this if it was England, Australia or Hampshire players involved, regardless of the player(s) involved make the punishment so extreme that others won't follow.
SaintPowelly

Postby yuppie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:53 am

Another series and another issue involving Pakistan, and this does not look great.

Amir's no ball now looks very suss, this is just not good for the game. Sure alot of things will come out in the next few days, but is this a step to far for Pakistan? If proved to be correct will players or the team get banned? Sad times for cricket lovers and Pakistan supporters.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby ddb » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:50 am

A lot of stuff coming out of the NOTW website.

The three balls:
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/92 ... icket.html

Plan to lose two ODI's:
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/92 ... onals.html

That Sydney match:
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/92 ... match.html

Not a good feeling coming from any of this, makes me feel a bit sick in side.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby poorcricketfan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:57 am

Please, please let this not be true.
Only yesterday (Friday) Test Match cricket was compelling and important - even pushing soccer down the pecking order, come news time.
On Saturday, another excellent day at Lord’s.
Now this.
The disappointment and anger is making my head spin.
As yet, no players have been arrested - but this is a very bad look indeed for cricket.
poorcricketfan

Postby sussexpob » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:33 am

poorcricketfan wrote:Please, please let this not be true.
ddb wrote:Not a good feeling coming from any of this, makes me feel a bit sick in side.

I think any real cricket lover is tonight praying that this is nothing, because two of the players implicated are the glimmering hope of Pakistans test future. If it is true, the punishment should smash down on the guilty like an iron fist. I have no tolerance for match fixers, and they should pay with their careers. If this means an 18 year old future legend goes, so be it. We have to teach the world a lesson and Amir will become a martyr for the cause of maintaining the integrity of the sport.

I dont buy this young and naive thing, and I also dont buy the argument that 3 no balls is trivial. If you dont wear the badge of your country on your chest and try to do your best ever second, then sorry you dont deserve to play International cricket!

I just hope this is a "no smoke without fire" conclusion that some tabloid hacks have made up from the fact that the Pakistan bowlers may have done something suspicious, but were not on the payroll. After all many bowlers have struggled to get their ryhthm on run up due to the Lords slope, maybe the extent of the no balls is due to this and an unwarrented link has been made?

The evidence does add up though.... Kamran Akmal getting out for 3 straight ducks, dropping catches everywhere? Who was the Pakistan fielder who caught one in the 2nd then seemed to let the ball drop out his hands? It may even explain why Salman Butt refused to leave the wicket earlier!

:bow: If your up there, let that be not be true. I fear Pakistan test cricket will be at deaths door if their two world class players have "turned to the dark side".
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:38 am

http://www.cricinfo.com/england-v-pakis ... 74890.html

Cricinfo claiming the ICC are taking the matter serious, and are flying in the anti-corruption unit from Dubai asap!
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby man_in_beige » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:12 am

Like others, I really hope these allegations are untrue, but have a sinking feeling that Pakistan players are making headlines for the wrong reasons again.

I hope an international ban for the national side is not implemented unless it is proved the cheating goes all the way through the administration of the side.

However, if true I would expect neither Asif or Amir to ever represent their country again, as sad as that would be for all us cricket fans. I'm especially disappointed if Asif is guilty after his earlier transgressions and bans.

Dark day for cricket.
man_in_beige

Team(s) Supported: New Zealand, Scotland, Wellington

Postby yuppie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:57 am

Are we expecting Pakistan to front up today and play? The evidence at present does not look good, and i guess there is the chance they wont front for the game today. And if they do, what will happen. Big day for cricket today.....
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Next

Return to International Cricket