Universities - A disgrace to first class cricket

Read the more in depth thoughts of our posters on various cricketing issues, topics and events - and please take the opportunity to leave feedback and enter into debate.

Re: Universities - A disgrace to first class cricket

Postby shankycricket » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:35 pm

ddb wrote:This thread seems like a huge over reaction. Hardly anywhere near a disgrace. Frankly, I don't really care so much about what is given first class status in stats. If only stats are used to judge players then you're going wrong anyway.

:clap
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby DeltaAlpha » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:39 pm

Yeah, I feel the same way, ddb. A matter of indifference to me, as I said earlier on. However, ENo7 obviously feels quite strongly about it, and he's entitled to do that, whatever others may think.
2011-12 CMS winter chess champion
2011 CMS spring chess champion
DeltaAlpha

Team(s) Supported: England

Postby braveneutral » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:41 pm

:thumb
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby dan08 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:43 pm

DeltaAlpha wrote:Yeah, I feel the same way, ddb. A matter of indifference to me, as I said earlier on. However, ENo7 obviously feels quite strongly about it, and he's entitled to do that, whatever others may think.

:thumb Not many agree with me but i'm allowed an opinion. :)

We're not really getting anywhere with this debate so i'll agree to disagree and leave you with this one scorecard. http://www.espncricinfo.com/countycrick ... 68288.html
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby braveneutral » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:46 pm

This match has already been referenced today... I don't see the point in bringing it up again?
Asia Cup 2012 guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Guru.

braveneutral

I suppose.

At times.

Postby DeltaAlpha » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:05 pm

That was a bit churlish, BN; it was ENo7's farewell, and quite a good one, too... made me smile!
2011-12 CMS winter chess champion
2011 CMS spring chess champion
DeltaAlpha

Team(s) Supported: England

Postby ddb » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:07 pm

Yeah he was just showing we shouldn't count Carberry's runs on that Rose Bowl pitch... ;)
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby braveneutral » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:22 pm

DeltaAlpha wrote:That was a bit churlish, BN; it was ENo7's farewell, and quite a good one, too... made me smile!

It wasn't intended that way.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Guru.

braveneutral

I suppose.

At times.

Postby SaintPowelly » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:01 pm

Having only read the OP and then 2 or 3 after that, I agree with BN.

As for the scorecard you produced from 07, Warne took 8 of the wickets, that speaks for itself.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby meninblue » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:38 am

England's_No7 wrote: Think about it, if you were the coach of a county, would you like to have a good quality practice match or a nice and easy one where most players score runs and take wickets for fun?

In the context of the levels my coach did not want us to even play street cricket because of the soft balls, the lower quality of batters, the lower quality of bowlers, the lower quality of fielders, lack of standardized rules, bowling only from one end, three stumps at one end and one stump at other end, bad field placements etc etc. By his thinking he felt that we needed to play in a competitive cricketing environment and not with those who do not take cricket seriously or do not play cricket properly.

Personally i preferred practicing against tough opposition. For example i used to enjoy batting against one of Indian International cricketers coach , who is an exceptional bowler as well and who could move ball both ways. It was challenge which i relished. On the contrary I did play the street cricket but scoring runs was very easy for me. I remember my mates had to bowl for about 30 odd overs and i did not get out until it was dark. We both used to make mockery of street cricketer bowlers and fielders because we played at higher levels than our opponents and hence had much better skill set at least at cricket. I used to treat the street bowlers with utter disdain and make mockery of their field placements , literally at will. They moved a fielder from a position and i used to hit a ball in the position left vacant. When they covered that position, i hit it at the position from which they removed the fielder. Paddle sweep to pace bowlers you name it and that was possible against them. Personally that was not competitive because i found it difficult to do it as frequently against club bowlers. So the gist is that runs scored against professional opposition are more valued, gives more confidence and satisfaction than those scored at unprofessional levels. Having said that we had a fielder in street cricket. He at one point of time gave me a feeling that he was better fielder than me even though he never played club cricket. I could not accept that someone could be a better fielder than me and that is when i started to do fielding drills which included diving catches, diving runs out and then i started to execute them in matches and surpassed him again as a more versatile and better fielder.

The point is that the lower levels will have the odd talented player, but on the whole the upper level players will make mockery or beat the lower teams comprehensively. So if the idea of the University is to give the university players better practice then yes, they must play county teams. If the idea of county teams is to play practice matches without getting hurt etc and still be successful by giving warm up efforts then yes they should play against lower levels. If they want competitive teams then they should play another counties. It depends how they want to plan in context of injuries, warm up efforts, get more batting practice etc.

I think the university teams should be merged to form one or two teams so that they can get best players in every discipline into one team and make a competitive opposition for counties. That would be a balanced solution IMO.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby shankycricket » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:54 am

Great post,Adi.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby andy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:31 am

i like the fact that county sides play uni sides before the start of the season..means uni sides get some exposure also get a chance to better themselves, however that being said, the standards need to improve, because its not a test for county sides anymore, its basically a reason to get yourself some easy runs and wickets, and no game should be like that.
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:00 am

First Class cricket began before County or Test Cricket ever existed, Oxford and Cambridge universities were granted FC status and played Varsity matches before Sussex became the first County Cricket Club. Another example of a match with First Class status is England v ICC Associates/Affiliates XI, but didn't hear anyone de-value Stuart Broads match bowling figures of 31-13-68-7.

Maybe County Cricket matches should be a separate entity to other First Class cricket to save all this bother.

All this questioning where Universities should be playing against County Cricket teams is like saying Leigh RMI shouldn't play Wigan Athletic in a pre-season friendly.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Dimi » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:01 pm

Yorkshire are 80-6 against Leeds and Bradford... :dunno
Dimi

Postby braveneutral » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:04 pm

Dimi wrote:Yorkshire are 80-6 against Leeds and Bradford... :dunno

Take away their FC status. ;)
Asia Cup 2012 guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Guru.

braveneutral

I suppose.

At times.

PreviousNext

Return to Cricketing Blogs