Something surreal about South Australia

Read the more in depth thoughts of our posters on various cricketing issues, topics and events - and please take the opportunity to leave feedback and enter into debate.

Something surreal about South Australia

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:57 pm

South Australia is a curious place. It is geographically larger in area than Germany, and therefore considerably bigger than the United Kingdom, and yet it's only the fourth largest state or territory in Australia. With a population slightly higher than Birmingham, and a population density comparable to Mongolia, South Australia is indeed a weird place, and is similarly populated by weird people (not dissimilar to Birmingham!) Exports include some of Australia's best wine (our premier wine region is in fact the Barossa Valley, about an hour from Adelaide), Cooper's Pale Ale (which is far from the worst thing you can pour into your mouth), the occasional more than handy Aussie Rules footballer, and the less occasional handy cricketer!

The Redbacks, as the local cricket team is known, took a huge leap in faith this season when it appointed South African Johan Botha as captain/coach. Following a stint with the Adelaide Strikers in the Big bash League, the powers that be at the Adelaide Oval decided to take a punt on the international fringe player, as they obviously liked what he brought "to the table." This was accompanied with the acquisition of Phil Hughes from New South Wales, effectively giving the perennial cellar dwellers some hope of not finishing last. As the season finds it's way almost at the halfway mark, the Sozzies find themselves fourth, which is not bad.

Batting wise, South Australia do have a reasonable top 6. Phil Hughes is obviously the ace in the pack, and has proved his value by finding himself at the top of the domestic run scorers at this stage of the season. The evergreen Michael Klinger must have been close to a national call up earlier in his career, these days he's doing the business at number 3, and is doing it well! Former ODI batsman Callum Ferguson is another enjoying a prosperous season, with last season's Test drinks carrier and fielder extraordinaire Dan Christian well cemented in at number 6.

The bowling front is a little less lavish. Chadd Sayers (right arm medium, 33 wickets from 8 matches @ 25.06) and Gary Putland (left arm fast medium, 63 wickets from 15 matches @ 24.20) might not be household names, but they are both having good seasons for the men in red. Johan Botha appears to have found domestic cricket in oz a little tougher than he might be used to, as he only have 5 scalps from 5 matches. Kane Richardson might be one for the future, after being a key member of the Oz under19 side in 2010. Nathan Lyon looks to be Australia's premier spinner... for now.

So what of the future for South Australia? They've lifted two short form trophies in the past two years, but haven't lifted the Sheffield Shield since the heady days of David Hookes and co. Johan Botha said that they lacked heart after losing the first couple of matches. Their recent shock victory over the mighty Bushrangers might suggest that a lack of heart might indeed be a thing of the past. For me, they are a decent quick or two away from being a pretty good team. Without being an expert on the club scene in Sozzie-land, I'd like to think that the state that gave us Dizzy Gillespie might just unearth somebody else just as good, and just maybe this team might get to lift another trophy soon... maybe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Australia_cricket_team

http://www.cricketsa.com.au/
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Re: Something surreal about South Australia

Postby mikesiva » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:21 pm

I am surprised that South australia have not been more successful....this blog has been an eye-opener.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:15 pm

Something surreal about South Australia alright. Picking a bowler with a very dodgy action to be your captain - on debut - adds to the sur-ness.

If my memory is any good at all, I would say that Botha was reported for chucking and went to be tested*, and on his return to cricket suddenly started wearing long sleeved shirts.

That worked for some years, but he must've got lax with his doosra, as he has been reported again: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-07/botha-to-be-tested-over-bowling-action/5003388?section=sport

*something that I have long thought to be akin to someone getting pulled over for suspected speeding, gets sent for testing and doesn't speed under test conditions. Then is sent back onto the open road.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby braveneutral » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:10 am

I don't know how I missed this originally. A good read as ever!
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Return to Cricketing Blogs