The Darren Lehmann era

Read the more in depth thoughts of our posters on various cricketing issues, topics and events - and please take the opportunity to leave feedback and enter into debate.

Re: The Darren Lehmann era

Postby Alviro Patterson » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:04 pm

from_the_stands wrote:So far so good for the Darren Lehmann era!

:box

It sure well is, Aaron Finch coming to Yorkshire was on the back of the man himself.

Long may it continue, a strong Australia equals a strong Yorkshire.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:49 am

Another significant series win has come the way of Darren Lehmann and his merry men. This win in South Africa has put the rest of the cricketing world on notice that the Aussies are back and are once again a force to be reckoned with. The win in South Africa is huge on a number of fronts; it's an away win against the number one Test team in the world, the conquering of South Africa snaps a 15 series winning streak, and a new cricket super power has emerged.

With the Darren Lehmann era now nine months old, the stages of his tenue now seem clear to me. I see this in five stages;

Stage one - re group, rebuild.
Stage two - consolidate
Stage three - transition
Stage four - world domination
Stage five - sustained world domination

For me, stage one is now complete, and probably was after smashing England in the home Ashes series. The Australian team is now more balanced than it has been in years. We've got a fantastic bowling attack, with good reserves waiting in the wings. Our batting looks a lot more solid, with Twatto finally moving down to 6. It's still early days for Alex Doolan. Steve Smith has really come forwards in leaps and bounds. Dave Warner is at a level all on his own.

Stage two is about consolidating on what was been laid as a foundation. Away to Pakistan, home to India and away to England is where this is going to happen. Over the past few months, the Oz players have set the bar very high for themselves, especially Mitchell Johnson and Ryan Harris... and Dave Warner & Steve Smith. Victory in all three series is very much a legitimate outcome.

Stage three is really about what happened after the next Ashes series. Brad Haddin, Ryan Harris, Chris Rogers, and possibly Micheal Clarke will all go out of the game. If Clarke's back holds up, he may stay another 6-12 months, but that's about it. Mitchell Johnson too will surely only be another 12 months in the game for hanging up his mo. So what next? Tim Paine/Sam Whiteman, Nathan Coulter-Nile/Jackson Bird, Phil Hughes/Nic Maddinson, Chris Lynn/Jordan Silk, and Mitchell Starc.

Stage four is when the game is in trouble. Australia start flogging everybody, and as a result, the rest of the cricketing world lose interest.

Stage five is when we have every trophy back in the cabinet, and they're all covered in dust. James Muirhead has morphed into the next Shane Warne, and Shanky has declared his love for the Oz team, and especially Phil Hughes. At that point, Boof can call time on his coaching tenue with Oz, bring an end to the Darren Lehmann era.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:16 am

I forgot to mention Twatto in the transition stage. James Faulkner in, Twatto out.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby meninblue » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:34 am

I am not sure this is Darren Lehman era. Rather the change form losing to winning has a lot to do with Mitch's form". Everything has changed when he has got his form back.

I am of the opinion that a coach has a role in success of the team.However, the wins and losses are more to do with players performances than coach's role.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby andy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:05 pm

clubcricketeradi wrote:I am not sure this is Darren Lehman era. Rather the change form losing to winning has a lot to do with Mitch's form". Everything has changed when he has got his form back.

I am of the opinion that a coach has a role in success of the team.However, the wins and losses are more to do with players performances than coach's role.

couldn't agree more adi :thumb
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:39 pm

Stage Six - Jason Gillespie replaces Darren Lehmann after leading Yorkshire to several titles in County Cricket as well as the Twenty20 Champions League. Meanwhile Lehmann takes over at Yorkshire as Professional Director of Cricket, installing his brother in law Craig White as First Team Coach. Martyn Moxon on the other hand becomes England Director of Cricket and the Ashes rivalry is stoked to high levels.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Previous

Return to Cricketing Blogs