Counting down to the Ashes series in 2015

Read the more in depth thoughts of our posters on various cricketing issues, topics and events - and please take the opportunity to leave feedback and enter into debate.

Counting down to the Ashes series in 2015

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:22 am

In less than eighteen months time, the oldest surviving international rivalry will once again be played out, as a captivated audience from around the cricket world will watch two old foes slug it out once more for what they both regard as the ultimate prize in Test cricket, the Ashes. With Australia having comprehensively won the Urn during this most recent encounter, which much surely represent the lowest point for English cricket in quite a while, time will move on, allowing the Poms time for a media circus to unfold and a national enquiry to take place.

For the Aussies, it seems that the game is finally moving in an upward direction once more; national team success, huge crowds at the Test matchs, and young players starting to filter through, with a new generation of superstars now banging on the door of national selection... something that was painfully absent a few short years ago. Not only that, but an arsenal of very talented quicks await their next chance, in the shadows of a trio touted as being the best in the world.

Looking ahead and contemplating what the Australian side might look like in just over a years' time, there's every likelyhood that Chris Rogers and Ryan Harris will have retired, and possibly Brad Haddin. And for some time, I've felt that Shane Watson is one more injury away from retiring from the long form of the game. And George Bailey would seem to have played in his last Test match, in spite of his world record equaling effort in Perth. Assuming that these five gentlemen are no longer with us, five new faces come into the equation; Jordan Silk (I'd like to say Phil Hughes, but I can't be bothered arguing his case) for Chris Rogers, James Pattinson (hopefully Dennis Lillee sorts him out as he did with MJ) for Harris, Tim Paine (it might be Matthew Wade, but I hope it's Paine) for Brad Haddin, James Faulkner for Shane Watson, and Alex Doolan for George Bailey.

As for the England set-up, it seems like a case of where do we start? I suspect that Matt Prior, KP, Jonathan Trott and James Anderson will have retired, and Boyd Rankin will be cast adrift somewhere in the Irish sea. I'm undecided about Michael Carberry. He wasn't the worst English batsman on tour, so he might still be around if nobody better can be found. The England side could very well look like the one we saw in Sydney, with Joe Root at 3, Ian Bell at 4, Gary Ballance at 5, and a player to be named later at 6, with yet another player to be named later batting at 7 and keeping wicket. Stuart Broad will lead the attack, with Tim Bresnan and... Steve Finn (if the England management haven't comepletely messed him up), and a spinner, but who that is likely to be is anyone's guess.

I sensed half way through the 2013 that the pendulum was swinging, and it ended up swinging so hard, it broke the clock. I guess now, for the first time since the halcyon days of Warne, McGrath, Punter, Haydos, Gilly and co., that Australia will find themselves once more being favourites going into the next Ashes series. With Darren Lehmann transforming the culture within the dressing room, the resurgence in Oz cricket could very well continue for some time, and hopefully beyond the next Ashes series. With the dust on this last contest yet to settle, I'm already counting down the days until the next one. Only about 500 sleeps left!

My Ashes squad to tour in 2015;

Dave Warner
Jordan Silk
Alex Doolan
Michael Clarke (c)
Steve Smith
Tim Paine
James Faulkner
Mitchell Johnson
James Pattinson
Peter Siddle
Nathan Lyon

Jackson Bird
Mitchell Starc
Adam Zampa
Phil Hughes
Joe Burns
Peter Neville

:box
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Re: Counting down to the Ashes series in 2015

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:18 am

2015?

How come it's not 2017?

Will KP, and Jimmy still be with us? Probably, I'd say. By then we have found a spinner, opener, and third seamer.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby andy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:09 pm

well KP wont be...Dr.Rob..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby from_the_stands » Wed May 14, 2014 2:15 am

The venues have been announced for this next Ashes series. The opener will be at Cardiff, which does very little for me as a venue, tbh. It seems the Poms are too scared to play us at Headingley, which I think is a lovely ground.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby Aidan11 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:42 am

Headingley daren't bid for an Ashes test though.

Too much in debt.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed May 14, 2014 11:04 am

Harris has to be a doubt for this series. And Clarke. I'd guess a lot will depend on Johnson's form/fitness. Without him, the series becomes very hard to predict. I like Lyon though, and he could be a big factor in the second innings'. England are a team in decline, and Moores made a mess of his previous time in the job. Flower is still about, we have a poor skipper, and Downton doesn't encourage confidence. If we lose at home to India and have a bad WC, some of this might have changed. Australia still look less of a formidable side to me than England are in disarray. It feels too far out to guess.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu May 15, 2014 12:16 am

from_the_stands wrote:The venues have been announced for this next Ashes series. The opener will be at Cardiff, which does very little for me as a venue, tbh. It seems the Poms are too scared to play us at Headingley, which I think is a lovely ground.

Don't worry Stands, Headingley will get a test match in 2019 as they got a guarantee of test match cricket up until this point. No reason why this should be extended, after all Yorkshire are huge contributors to the national setup in the form of players.

Surprisingly enough Sophia Gardens is a nice cricket ground, not the biggest but rather intimate. Not sure it has the divine right of hosting a prestigous test match though.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby SaintPowelly » Thu May 15, 2014 12:25 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:Surprisingly enough Sophia Gardens is a nice cricket ground, not the biggest but rather intimate. Not sure it has the divine right of hosting a prestigous test match though.

Makes you wonder what The Rose Bowl needs to do to get a test.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby from_the_stands » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:19 pm

I wish it was next year already...

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby ianp1970 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:34 pm

Only 4 tests to play before the Ashes start again :) so how many positions are still to be filled?

My current thinking is along the lines of:

Cook
Ballance
Bell
Root
Ali
Buttler
Stokes/Woakes/Jordan
Broad
Finn/Plunkett/Spinner
Anderson

The second opening slot is wide open, maybe Trott as a wild-card :hide
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby hopeforthebest » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:15 pm

ianp1970 wrote:Only 4 tests to play before the Ashes start again :) so how many positions are still to be filled?

Cook
Ballance
Bell
Root
Ali
Buttler
Stokes/Woakes/Jordan
Broad
Finn/Plunkett/Spinner
Anderson

Moeen v Mitch Johnson could be a one sided affair.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby ianp1970 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:50 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:
ianp1970 wrote:Only 4 tests to play before the Ashes start again :) so how many positions are still to be filled?

Cook
Ballance
Bell
Root
Ali
Buttler
Stokes/Woakes/Jordan
Broad
Finn/Plunkett/Spinner
Anderson

Moeen v Mitch Johnson could be a one sided affair.

I expect Mitch will work him out by the 5th test :)
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby GarlicJam » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:14 pm

As swimmingly well everything went for Aus in the last series, they went as sinkingly badly for England. After all, the result in the series was way off from accurately reflecting the respective skill levels of the sides. Fortune and circumstance played a huge role.

Surely, the fortunes of both will normalise somewhat for this series? Especially being on Eng's home turf.

Even with some erratic performances of late, England are looking a lot more settled.The sudden emergence of Ali as a test player really helps here. And has Cook gone through his run of poor form - or is there more to come?

I reckon it will be a pretty tough and close series, with the form of Cook having a big say in the result. How will Johnson handle the English conditions this time, will it swing to fourth slip, or back to middle/leg stump?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:36 pm

The series will decided on Johnson and Harris.I imagine England's batters will struggle against pace.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby hopeforthebest » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:21 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:The series will decided on Johnson and Harris.I imagine England's batters will struggle against pace.

Will Harris be put back together by then, what's the current situation with him? If he's fit and in form he'll be hunting Cooks next summer.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Next

Return to Cricketing Blogs