Australian Soccer Thread

The beautiful game!

Australian Soccer Thread

Postby from_the_stands » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:36 am

With the 2014 FIFA World Cup now over, the Socceroos look ahead to the Asian Football Championships, which will be hosted down under in early 2015. The 10 team domestic A-League kicks off before that, as the Brisbane Roar look to defend their title. And in August, several overseas based players will be kicking off their new season campaigns in earnest. The sport which was first introduced to these sunny shores by immigrants from the northern hemisphere has steadily grown in an environment dominated by Australian Rules Football, and to a lesser extent by the two rugby codes, would seem to have a bright future, although I don't see us winning the World Cup any time soon... sadly.

With four appearances at the World Cup finals, the Socceroos seem to be fairing much better, since having moved on from the Oceania confederation and into Asia. With the likes of Japan, South Korea, Iran, China, and Saudi Arabia to compete against, for one of four spots in the world's biggest sporting event, regular World Cup appearances would seem to be coming Australia's way now that we can avoid a play-off match against a South American team. It was quite an effort to roll over Uraguay to qualify in 2006. We didn't have a snow flakes' hope in hell in getting over a Diego Maradona-led Argentina years earlier.

The 2014 campaign was quite a challenge, being grouped with Chile, the Netherlands and Spain. With very much a young side, I thought our boys applied themselves very well, managing to score one goal more than England managed, including the goal of the tournament from the evergreen Tim Cahill. In the last 3 world cups, we've had to face Brazil, Germany, Spain and the Netherlands, and in the 2006 knock-out stage, came up against eventual champions Italy, who totally robbed us with the biggest dive in history in the penalty box.

The Asian Championships next year should be interesting. Japan will be looking to win their fourth Asian title, having beaten the Aussies in extra time in the last final. Australia will face stiff competition from group rivals; South Korea, Oman and Kuwait. I'm quite looking forward to attending the opener against Kuwait, which will be played at the soccer-friendly AAMI stadium, a stones' throw away from that mecca for sport, the MCG. Going forward, the rebuilding Aussies will be looking to qualify for Russia 2018, and the next Asian Cup in 2019, which will be hosted by one of; Iran, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, or the UAE.

Domestically, the Hyundai A-League gets under way in early October, with a new-look Melbourne franchise being re-branded as Melbourne City, following the purchase of the club by EPL giant Manchester City. As such, Spanish legend David Villa looks set for a short spell at the club, en-route to his next destination, New York City. The rumour mill also has Frank Lampard doing likewise, with former Chelsky striker Didier Drogba being linked to Sydney FC, who are looking for a replacement for Italian superstar Alessandro Del Piero.

As for the legion of Aussies abroad, Socceroos and Crystal Palace skipper Mile Jedinak will be hoping he can keep his team in the top flight of English football. Tin Cahill will be continuing his up front partnership with some French fella at the New York Red Bulls, in spite of being linked with a move home to Sydney FC. Other top fight players include Robbie Kruse at Bayer Leverkusen, Brad Jones at Liverpool, Tom Rogic at Celtic, Josh Brillante at Fiorentina, James Holland at Austria Wien, Mitchell Langerak at Borussia Dortmund, and Matt Ryan at Club Brugges, who was reportedly linked to a move to Real Madrid.

In terms of the future for the green and gold, should the game continue to grow domestically, and some football great grace our stadiums for a year or two, and our players abroad continue to develop, I do think the Socceroos could develop into a team that could create headaches for bigger teams. We do boast friendly wins over Germany and England (had a massive hangover the day after the England win), and we did manage to give the Dutchies a hell of a scare in Brazil. In this sport, along with just about any other sporting contest, under estimate the Aussies at your peril!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_in_Australia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-League

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_national_association_football_team

"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Re: Australian Soccer Thread

Postby from_the_stands » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:56 am

My best all-time Oz players;

Mark Schwartzer

Stan Lazeridis
Milan Ivanovic
Craig Moore
Lucas Niel

Harry Kewell
Marc Bresciano
Vince Grella
Brett Emerton

Tim Cahill
Mark Viduka

Manager: Guus Hiddink

:Aus:
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby Aidan11 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:58 am

from_the_stands wrote:My best all-time Oz players;

Mark Schwartzer

Stan Lazeridis
Milan Ivanovic
Craig Moore
Lucas Niel

Harry Kewell
Marc Bresciano
Vince Grella
Brett Emerton

Tim Cahill
Mark Viduka

Manager: Guus Hiddink

:Aus:

No Joel Porter?

:coat
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby SaintPowelly » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:58 pm

FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL....NEVER SOCCER.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby The Waugh Twins » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:43 am

SaintPowelly wrote:FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL....NEVER SOCCER.

There is no true game of football that I can think of off the top of my foot.
The Waugh Twins

Team(s) Supported: United, Giants, Yankees, Galaxy, Oz cricket, CollyWobles

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:46 pm

Australia played Belgium over night in a friendly, and lost 2-0. The match was televised in Australia on Foxtell, our version of Sky. They had a panel discussing the game afterward, which featured Mark Bosnich and John Aloisi, who don't like each other. It was actually pretty funny watching the two of them next to each other. Every time Bosnich spoke, Aloisi gave him a cold stare. Bosnich is perfectly entitled to his opinion, but he can be a pompous twat sometimes. Last year, when Aloisi was managing Melbourne Heart, Bosnich called for him to resign, leading to a very public spat. Aloisi ended up being sacked after 17 matches without a win. The Melbourne Heart have since rebranded themselves as Melbourne City, and will have David Villa playing for them for the first half of the upcoming season. Our next friendly is against Saudi Arabia in a few days at Craven Cottage.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby SaintPowelly » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:17 am

Bosnich as a pundit really is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

How many times was he banned for cocaine use ? Atleast twice. How many times did he reject Australia call-ups ? Numerous.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby yuppie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:56 am

SaintPowelly wrote:Bosnich as a pundit really is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

How many times was he banned for cocaine use ? Atleast twice. How many times did he reject Australia call-ups ? Numerous.

At his best he was a very good keeper though. Aussies have been lucky with their keepers over the last 20 years. But yes he is still a twat. Also so is Aloisi. That could have been funny to watch.

FTS, is Paul Wade still not around doing some commentating?
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:30 pm

yuppie wrote:FTS, is Paul Wade still not around doing some commentating?

I haven't seen him. He's not on Fox and doesn't appear to be on SBS. To be honest, I haven't heard or seen of him since he retired. Definitely an Aussie legend, though.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:33 pm

The Socceroos have a couple of crackerjack friendlies coming up in the next couple of weeks. On the 10th of this month, they're in Abu Dhabi to take on the Middle East power house of the UAE, then on the 14th take on the 2022 WC hosts Qatar in Doha. No squads have been announced as yet. Stay tuned.

:box

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby sussexpob » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:03 pm

from_the_stands wrote:Australia played Belgium over night in a friendly, and lost 2-0. The match was televised in Australia on Foxtell, our version of Sky. They had a panel discussing the game afterward, which featured Mark Bosnich and John Aloisi, who don't like each other. It was actually pretty funny watching the two of them next to each other. Every time Bosnich spoke, Aloisi gave him a cold stare. Bosnich is perfectly entitled to his opinion, but he can be a pompous twat sometimes. Last year, when Aloisi was managing Melbourne Heart, Bosnich called for him to resign, leading to a very public spat. Aloisi ended up being sacked after 17 matches without a win. The Melbourne Heart have since rebranded themselves as Melbourne City, and will have David Villa playing for them for the first half of the upcoming season. Our next friendly is against Saudi Arabia in a few days at Craven Cottage.

Must be a huge coup for the league, having Villa come over. Hints of some monetary investment in the league, or does he just want to play his final days while improving his surfing?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:55 pm

sussexpob wrote:
from_the_stands wrote:Australia played Belgium over night in a friendly, and lost 2-0. The match was televised in Australia on Foxtell, our version of Sky. They had a panel discussing the game afterward, which featured Mark Bosnich and John Aloisi, who don't like each other. It was actually pretty funny watching the two of them next to each other. Every time Bosnich spoke, Aloisi gave him a cold stare. Bosnich is perfectly entitled to his opinion, but he can be a pompous twat sometimes. Last year, when Aloisi was managing Melbourne Heart, Bosnich called for him to resign, leading to a very public spat. Aloisi ended up being sacked after 17 matches without a win. The Melbourne Heart have since rebranded themselves as Melbourne City, and will have David Villa playing for them for the first half of the upcoming season. Our next friendly is against Saudi Arabia in a few days at Craven Cottage.

Must be a huge coup for the league, having Villa come over. Hints of some monetary investment in the league, or does he just want to play his final days while improving his surfing?

I'm pretty sure he's on his way to Major League Soccer, and is making a few guest appearances for Melbourne City, who were rubbish last year. He's going to play for the same team as Frank Lampard, I believe. The trams involved are owned by Man City. My guess is that Melb City will be used as a farm club, where players coming back from long term injuries can play a few matches over here before returning to the big time.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:56 pm

And yes, it's viewed as a big coup getting Villa out here, but not as big as what it was when Del Piero came out.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby andy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:41 am

SaintPowelly wrote:Bosnich as a pundit really is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

haha 'a very good keeper really?..... average at best, and really not great for him to be a pundit, based on the cocaine bans, and rejecting multiple call ups..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:15 pm

Mark Bosnich, not a patch on Mark Schwarzer!
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Next

Return to Football Forum