Australian Soccer Thread

The beautiful game!

Re: Australian Soccer Thread

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:48 pm

The problem with Bosnich was that he was a big fish in a small pond, and when he moved to the ocean, thought he was still a big fish when in actually fact he was nothing more than plankton. At Villa, he managed to carve out a decent career, and his move to United was really the oinnacle of his career. But with the wrong attitude and the arrival of World Cup winning goalkeeper Fabien Bartez, his time at United had effectively come to an end. His biggest mistake was not moving to Untied, but rather not moving to Celtic when he had the chance to do so. Moving to Chelsea clearly wasn't the answer, and when depression set in because he wasn't playing, powdering his nose only made matters worse for him. In a nutshell, he was a knob jockey who came gloriously unstuck. That he has managed to elk out a career as a tv pundit in Australia is really indicative to the lack of big names in the game over here. He is quite outspoken with his views, and has managed to rub a few people up the wrong way, which the Oz media seems to thrive on. Being controversial seems to be a positive in these parts, where not much else happens in the way of news, so a bit of controversy will guarantee you a few headlines. With better players having recently retired, or about to, he will need to remain being the twat that he is in order to keep his job. By the time the 2018 World Cup rolls around, my guess is that Australian tv audiences will be watching the likes of Tim Cahill, Mark Schwartzer and possibly Mark Viduka giving their export comments, with Bosnich relegated to a radio gig.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby Aidan11 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:50 pm

I think Ferguson had said he rushed into signing Bosnich and knew he had made a mistake.

It didn't help that Bosnich arrived late for his very first day of training at Utd.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby sussexpob » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:52 pm

By the time the 2018 World Cup rolls around, my guess is that Australian tv audiences will be watching the likes of Tim Cahill, Mark Schwartzer and possibly Mark Viduka giving their export comments, with Bosnich relegated to a radio gig.

No Christian Vieri then? I hear he speaks English with a think Aussie twang!!!

Not sure Viduka would do it, would he? I heard once Viduka actually HATES football but just happened to be pretty good at it.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby yuppie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:48 pm

sussexpob wrote:
By the time the 2018 World Cup rolls around, my guess is that Australian tv audiences will be watching the likes of Tim Cahill, Mark Schwartzer and possibly Mark Viduka giving their export comments, with Bosnich relegated to a radio gig.

Not sure Viduka would do it, would he? I heard once Viduka actually HATES football but just happened to be pretty good at it.

I Think Vieri still lives in Italy sadly, though does head back to Aus alot. I remember hearing a Vieri interview in Italy where he Said Allan Border was one of his sporting heros. Very funny:-).

The poor mans Vieri, Viduka probably does not come accross to well on TV. Viduka was a very underated player IMHO.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:53 pm

sussexpob wrote:

Yeah, Vieri is an Aussie all right. Too bad he didn't fancy playing for the green and gold. And about Viduka, I heard that too, but if there's a bit of doe-re-me to be made, I'm sure V-Bomber will be there with bells on. He's a member at Melbourne Heart, so he couldn't hate the game too much if he's still involved in it.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:55 pm

yuppie wrote:Viduka was a very underated player IMHO.

I think that too, although I also thought that at times he was lazy, and moved around the pitch like a pregnant yak.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby yuppie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:18 pm

from_the_stands wrote:
yuppie wrote:Viduka was a very underated player IMHO.

I think that too, although I also thought that at times he was lazy, and moved around the pitch like a pregnant yak.

Thats because he was the size of a pregnant yak
yuppie

Postby sussexpob » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:20 pm

Viduka was lethal when he wanted to be, but clearly didn't look after himself like some players would... could have been a real class act, he had a lot of abundant quality.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby SaintPowelly » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:31 pm

I heard Stewart Downing a few years ago say that the best player he has played with is Mark Viduka, this was whilst he was at Liverpool playing with Suarez and Gerrard every week.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby sussexpob » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:37 pm

The mention of Mark Viduka always brings back the memory of the Middlesbrough fans version of Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" they sung about him.

I heard there was a secret ball
Southgate dreamed it would beat them all
but you dont really play the long ball do ya
it goes like this
the full pitch width
downings cross and boatengs flick
the baffled keeper cant stop mark viduka

mark viduka, mark viduka,
mark viduka, mark viduka,
mark viduka, mark viduuuuukaaa

sussexpob

Postby SaintPowelly » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:41 pm

Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby yuppie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:53 pm

Does beg the question if Viduka is Australias greatest player? His international record is not great, but every game i saw he always put a shift in, and was alot of the time isolated.
yuppie

Postby yuppie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:56 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:

:clap Brilliant
yuppie

Postby yuppie » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:28 am

I noticed Melbourne Victory started the season well last night. 4-1. And Viduka was in the stands.

They reckon over 30,000 at the game. For those in Aus, should the AFL be worried, specially as the AFL seems to be shooting itself in the fot alot.
yuppie

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:46 pm

It might be sack the coach time, with Australia losing away to emerging football giants, Qatar. Bring back Guus!

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum