Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Re: Black football managers

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:05 pm

A left wing appointment that might well come off, Burton appear to have a track record of employing unproven managers who turn out to be successful.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby mikesiva » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:56 am

SaintPowelly wrote:Mike will be throwing a street party.

Three out of 90-odd is just not good enough....

Time to implement the Rooney Rule:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29464078

'A key architect of the NFL's 'Rooney Rule' believes British football "has nothing to lose" by adopting a similar regulation. The rule requires teams to interview at least one black or minority ethnic candidate for a head coach vacancy. There are only two black managers in the Premier League and Football League. Dan Rooney, 82, told BBC Radio 5 live: "I would tell British clubs that if they would look at this openly they will find this is a positive thing." Rooney, owner of Pittsburgh Steelers and chairman of the NFL's Workplace Diversity Committee, which proposed the regulation in 2002, says it would open doors for clubs when looking at additional candidates for a job. "The plus side of this is you're increasing your list of people to look at and it would really work. I couldn't recommend it enough for the teams in Britain," he said. "It may take a little bit of work. But it would be a plus to the teams, to the league itself. When you think about it they have nothing to lose."'

I met Michael Johnson the other day, and I was surprised to hear a footballer express such intelligent views on subjects other than football. He was also saying exactly what he says here:

'Former Birmingham and Derby defender Michael Johnson made more than 550 Premier League and Football League appearances in an 18-year playing career. But he told BBC Radio 5 live that since retiring in 2009, and despite having all the necessary qualifications, he had found it impossible to get a job in management. "I'm a pro license qualified coach," he said. "I've gone through a governance course. I'm on the LMA diploma in football management. I can't get any more qualified. "But I've been out of football work in a full-time capacity for three years. "I've sent over 30 CV's of and got two interviews. For me, there's something wrong there."'
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby yuppie » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:23 am

mikesiva wrote:
SaintPowelly wrote:Mike will be throwing a street party.

Three out of 90-odd is just not good enough....

Time to implement the Rooney Rule:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29464078

'A key architect of the NFL's 'Rooney Rule' believes British football "has nothing to lose" by adopting a similar regulation. The rule requires teams to interview at least one black or minority ethnic candidate for a head coach vacancy. There are only two black managers in the Premier League and Football League. Dan Rooney, 82, told BBC Radio 5 live: "I would tell British clubs that if they would look at this openly they will find this is a positive thing." Rooney, owner of Pittsburgh Steelers and chairman of the NFL's Workplace Diversity Committee, which proposed the regulation in 2002, says it would open doors for clubs when looking at additional candidates for a job. "The plus side of this is you're increasing your list of people to look at and it would really work. I couldn't recommend it enough for the teams in Britain," he said. "It may take a little bit of work. But it would be a plus to the teams, to the league itself. When you think about it they have nothing to lose."'

I met Michael Johnson the other day, and I was surprised to hear a footballer express such intelligent views on subjects other than football. He was also saying exactly what he says here:

'Former Birmingham and Derby defender Michael Johnson made more than 550 Premier League and Football League appearances in an 18-year playing career. But he told BBC Radio 5 live that since retiring in 2009, and despite having all the necessary qualifications, he had found it impossible to get a job in management. "I'm a pro license qualified coach," he said. "I've gone through a governance course. I'm on the LMA diploma in football management. I can't get any more qualified. "But I've been out of football work in a full-time capacity for three years. "I've sent over 30 CV's of and got two interviews. For me, there's something wrong there."'

Maybe Michael Johnson does not get work due his views on homosexuality. Didnt he say his faith meant he believed the bible and that meant "homosexuality is detestable unto the Lord".

Would not be good to have a manager who was homophobic in the current world?
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby SaintPowelly » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:39 pm

More racist opinions from Mike.

If I said the same thing, but the other way and that black men should lose their jobs for white people, I'd be branded a racist...why is this acceptable ??
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby sussexpob » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:01 pm

Maybe I cant speak for him adequately, as he runs away from the issues and never engages in substantive debate at any time, but what I know of Mike is a guy that comes from a generation of West Indian people who migrated to the UK at a lesser enlightened time of society. No doubt he has gone through the issues of lack of opportunity, lack of equality and maybe out and out racial hatred and bigotry.

I personally think that clouds Mike's judgement on the issue. I sense there is some quite radical opinion there, and some obvious trust problems. I remember a few years back for instance when he talked about the police and them handling his son at a NYE in London. To me it sounded routine if I can remember the issue correctly, to him it was the continuation of a trend through time for the police to pick on ethnic minorities.

I grew up in a quite left wing, extremely social libertarian area of the UK, so I guess maybe its me who's rather romantic view on personal freedoms and equality doesn't transfer to real UK life, but as an adult in modern Britain, I never thought of race as playing much of a noticeable issue. Obviously in isolated areas, you get racist people, and therefore to say its non-existent is wrong.

But in a sport dominated by foreign talent? By a sport dominated at its highest level by foreign ownership, where hardly anyone is white English?? On such a wide scale? That is a huge accusation to make, the scale is just impossible to fathom. In order to impose such a radical process as the Rooney Rule, there has to be more than heresay. There has to be evidence to these almost unfathomable accusations!! I mean, does any type of industry have more of a percentage of foreign talent then UK sport? To say that football has, to its core, a racial issue when 30% of English players are home grown, sorry, doesn't cut as an argument. A lot of these players are black as well, much higher in proportion to their number in general society. How would up to 80% of players who are non-English white function in such a rotten racist core?

If there was evidence, I would be all for it. I cant get passed the point that this is an argument that is attempting to gain extra opportunity at the cost of true merit, for the benefit of one type of person. That is unjust.

I would happily change my opinion in the event that contrary evidence came about.
Last edited by sussexpob on Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:02 pm

As for Hasslebank taking the Burton job, congratulations to him. I hope he does well because he was a very entertaining player.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:24 pm

There's always a possibility that Michael Johnson's CV doesn't fit the criteria for alot of the appointments he applies for and there's always the possibility that he doesn't interview very well, and there's always the possibility that there are white guys with exactly the same qualifications as him getting the same number of rejections as him.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby sussexpob » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:39 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:There's always a possibility that Michael Johnson's CV doesn't fit the criteria for alot of the appointments he applies for and there's always the possibility that he doesn't interview very well, and there's always the possibility that there are white guys with exactly the same qualifications as him getting the same number of rejections as him.

Well it certainly wasn't racism that kicked him out a job at Notts County, like he thinks. The same chairman who sacked him also appointed Chris Kiwomya, Paul Ince, Keith Curle and gave Johnson a caretaker shot at the job before they released him.

Sounds a very racist club that.... 4 black managers in 5 years. :d'oh:

sussexpob

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:35 pm

I'd be interested to know which vacancies Michael Johnson has applied for. Having qualifications is one thing, but contacts and league knowledge is just as vital.

At the end of the day supply exceeds demand, an adoption of the Rooney Rule will only discriminate against experienced coaches and managers who are unemployed.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Gingerfinch » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:25 am

Dr Robert wrote:It looks like he has followed McClaren around a bit.

Good luck to him, though not too much, as Burton are not too far behind Wycombe.

Jimmy :angry

Poor game, from what I saw, though Burton's second was a good one.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby mikesiva » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:13 am

"Chris Hughton is the new manager of Brighton after agreeing a three-and-a-half-year deal to replace Sami Hyypia. The Sky Bet Championship strugglers announced the appointment on Twitter on Wednesday morning. The 56-year-old had been out of work since being relieved of his duties by Norwich in April with the club 17th in the Barclays Premier League."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z3NqHlJDey
:clap

2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby sussexpob » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:49 am

mikesiva wrote:"Chris Hughton is the new manager of Brighton after agreeing a three-and-a-half-year deal to replace Sami Hyypia. The Sky Bet Championship strugglers announced the appointment on Twitter on Wednesday morning. The 56-year-old had been out of work since being relieved of his duties by Norwich in April with the club 17th in the Barclays Premier League."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z3NqHlJDey
:clap

Good to see (a) him sign for Brighton, best man we could have got.... (b) him back in work, he is a good manager.

sussexpob

Postby rich1uk » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:53 pm

just saw an interesting article after all the publicity about the lack of black managers in English football

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -move.html

need to read down , but it says out of the 16 countries that will compete in the African Cup of Nations this year only 3 out of 16 have black managers

racists !
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby mikesiva » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:34 am

As interim manager at QPR, Chris Ramsay is the only black manager in the Premier League...of course, that probably won't last long.