Australian Soccer Thread

The beautiful game!

Re: Australian Soccer Thread

Postby from_the_stands » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:59 pm

The Socceroos won their opening game in the Asian Cup against Kuwait tonight in Melbourne. Sadly, I wasn't there, but I did watch it on the telly. Our next game is against Oman in Sydney, then against the South Koreans in Brisvegas. We'll smash 'em all!

:box
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby yuppie » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:20 am

Australia presently 3 up against Oman.

Whats the thinking back in Australia. Can the Aussies actually win this tournament on home soil?

From the little ive seen the crowds seem to have turned out for this. Probably should have got the world cup :rasta
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:47 pm

Tim Cahill just kicked goal of the year, and possibly the greatest goal of all time in Asian cup football.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:31 pm

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:01 pm

Australia go up against the UAE in tonight's Asian Cup semi-final in Newcastle in what should prove to be a game for ages. We've played the UAE twice before, with both games ending in scoreless draws. The winner takes on South Korea in the final at Stadium Australia on the weekend. Tim Cahill to score in both matches!

:box

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:02 am

So it's half time in the final in Sydney. The Socceroos are up 1-0 against a very formidable South Korean side. It's been a very physical encounter thus far. The second half is about to get under way.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:21 am

Tim Cahill has been substituted at the 63 minute mark in possibly his last game for Australia.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:54 am

Extra time.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:13 pm

Goooaaaaalllllllllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby GarlicJam » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:06 pm

Didn't know this thread existed.

You little beauty!!!!!!
underline in gold and green and gold !!!!!!!!!
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Aidan11 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:31 pm

Well done Aussies. :clap
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby braveneutral » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:03 pm

Yes we'll done Australia. More major international trophies than England.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:34 pm

This is just a random comment really, plus I wanted to watch Tim Cahill's goal again. I went to the MCG last Saturday night to see Real Madrid and AS Roma. The official attendence was announced to be 80,000 plus, which is a good turn out. I guess I expected it to be a sell out. Fewer turned up last night for AS Roma v Man City. It's not like we haven't got lots of Italian and English folk living here. I just feel that the world game hasn't quite grabbed the Australian public just yet. Tim Cahill and Matt Ryan are the only foreign based players who seem to get any media attention here. As much as I love Aussie Rules football, it's coverage basically drowns out everything else. I'm going again on Friday to see Real Madrid and Man City, and would love to see 100,000 there, but I'm not counting on it. I did read that Liverpool had good crowds at their games in Brisbane and Adelaide. I do hope that big European clubs do continue to come out here in their off season, and play at the MCG.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:39 pm

80,000 for an exhibition football match is as good as it gets, very few games exceed those attendance figures when it comes to competitive domestic matches.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:53 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:80,000 for an exhibition football match is as good as it gets, very few games exceed those attendance figures when it comes to competitive domestic matches.

I do realize that, but this was the first time (I think) that Real Madrid played out here. And with the Italian diaspora out here, I was expecting a full house. I was a bit disappointed with the large sections of the stadium being empty. We do get a lot of sport in Melbourne, I just thought this would have been bigger than it was. The Liverpool game two years ago was massive. Maybe just bring them out, and maybe United. OK, and Barcelona. I guess at the end of the day, everyone had a run and the clubs sold a few shirts.

I can't help but feel that soccer would have a better chance in Australia if it were played on an oval shaped ground with an oval shaped ball, 18 players per side, field umpires who are visually impaired, and four quarters of 20 minutes plus time on.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum