Racism in English football?

The beautiful game!

Re: Racism in English football?

Postby rich1uk » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:15 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30147475

someone else who doesn't understand the difference between making what is possibly a racist remark and actually being a racist , and I'll argue that difference with anyone

people throw the racist label around far too easily these days

i'll have to stop making jokes about GG and sheep or CF and TOWIE in case someone accuses me of being racist too ...
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:28 pm

rich1uk wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30147475

someone else who doesn't understand the difference between making what is possibly a racist remark and actually being a racist , and I'll argue that difference with anyone

people throw the racist label around far too easily these days

i'll have to stop making jokes about GG and sheep or CF and TOWIE in case someone accuses me of being racist too ...

or jokes about Shanky and Samit Patel, world has gone mad!

It's obvious Vincent Tan is angling for a years supply of whisky from Dave Whelan ;)
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:12 pm

Positive discrimination at it's finest by the FA Chairman

http://www.thefa.com/news/thefa/2014/no ... n-coaching

Why do we have to change the supply of coaches based on ethnicity and persuade football clubs to employ individuals on this instead of merit? High quality coaching across the board in order to achieve a World Cup 2022 win should be the focus, not some propaganda fuelled publicity campaign.
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Postby mikesiva » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:41 am

"Wigan owner Dave Whelan has been given a six-week ban from all football-related activity and fined £50,000 for making racist comments about Jewish and Chinese people."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30643217
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:20 pm

Whilst Mario Balotelli gets a 1 match ban for endorsing similar comments. Inconsistency at it's finest and Balotelli is as much in the public eye, if not more so than Dave Whelan.

Suppose at least the Disciplinary Commission are satisfied that Whelan is no racist, but the punishment doesn't seem fit for a person who has made misguided comments.

If anything, the excessive punishment for Dave Whelan proves Mouriniho's claims that there is no racism in English football.

Alviro Patterson

Postby mikesiva » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:12 am

This Malky Mackay investigation is taking a long time to reach a conclusion....
:halo:

mikesiva

Postby mikesiva » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:44 am

'Chelsea have strongly condemned a group of their supporters who have been caught on video singing a racist song and preventing a black man from boarding the Paris Métro. The footage, obtained exclusively by the Guardian, shows the man repeatedly trying to squeeze on to a busy train only to be forcefully shoved out of the door and back on to the platform at the Richelieu – Drouot station before Chelsea’s Champions League tie against Paris Saint-Germain at Parc des Princes. The fans on the train are then heard chanting a song that appears to be celebrating what has just happened and includes the line: “We’re racist, we’re racist and that’s the way we like it” while a black woman is standing directly in front of them. The video immediately sparked widespread condemnation after being posted on the Guardian’s website and could lead to disciplinary action from Uefa if the governing body decides an event that happened away from the stadium is within its remit. Chelsea would feasibly face a fine and a warning.'

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... aris-metro

mikesiva

Postby sussexpob » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:14 am

mikesiva wrote:'Chelsea have strongly condemned a group of their supporters who have been caught on video singing a racist song and preventing a black man from boarding the Paris Métro. The footage, obtained exclusively by the Guardian, shows the man repeatedly trying to squeeze on to a busy train only to be forcefully shoved out of the door and back on to the platform at the Richelieu – Drouot station before Chelsea’s Champions League tie against Paris Saint-Germain at Parc des Princes. The fans on the train are then heard chanting a song that appears to be celebrating what has just happened and includes the line: “We’re racist, we’re racist and that’s the way we like it” while a black woman is standing directly in front of them. The video immediately sparked widespread condemnation after being posted on the Guardian’s website and could lead to disciplinary action from Uefa if the governing body decides an event that happened away from the stadium is within its remit. Chelsea would feasibly face a fine and a warning.'

Disgusting actions from a tiny minority of fans. This type of barbaric action should result in a swift and harsh punishment.

Can Chelsea be said to control their fans on a foreign tube though? Not sure the club can be fined where they have literally no control....
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:29 am

sussexpob wrote:
mikesiva wrote:'Chelsea have strongly condemned a group of their supporters who have been caught on video singing a racist song and preventing a black man from boarding the Paris Métro. The footage, obtained exclusively by the Guardian, shows the man repeatedly trying to squeeze on to a busy train only to be forcefully shoved out of the door and back on to the platform at the Richelieu – Drouot station before Chelsea’s Champions League tie against Paris Saint-Germain at Parc des Princes. The fans on the train are then heard chanting a song that appears to be celebrating what has just happened and includes the line: “We’re racist, we’re racist and that’s the way we like it” while a black woman is standing directly in front of them. The video immediately sparked widespread condemnation after being posted on the Guardian’s website and could lead to disciplinary action from Uefa if the governing body decides an event that happened away from the stadium is within its remit. Chelsea would feasibly face a fine and a warning.'

Disgusting actions from a tiny minority of fans. This type of barbaric action should result in a swift and harsh punishment.

Can Chelsea be said to control their fans on a foreign tube though? Not sure the club can be fined where they have literally no control....

The clubs do tend to take the flack, don't they? A bit unfair, you could say.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby sussexpob » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:36 am

Gingerfinch wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

The clubs do tend to take the flack, don't they? A bit unfair, you could say.

I understand that fining the club forces them to take necessary actions, but surely this is a public disorder issue far away from a football venue, and a matter for the police....not for UEFA? Short from recruiting a group of mercenaries to form their own police force, what can Chelsea do to stop this?

If Chelsea get fined, in all honesty what is stopping me walking onto a tube as say a Man City fan, beating up or singing a racist song, inserting some liberal dusting of "United, United" and watch the club pay?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:32 pm

Complete morons in a group showing their true prejudices. On their own they wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Hats off to the guy still trying to get on the train in the face of that pack of idiots.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:00 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Complete morons in a group showing their true prejudices. On their own they wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Hats off to the guy still trying to get on the train in the face of that pack of idiots.

Just watched it, though without sound. Indeed, fair play to him. I would have walked off, fearing a beating.

W..kers
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:24 pm

I have been to many sporting events, and hundreds of football matches, but for some reason only football supporters in a pack revert to base instincts and tribalism and anyone who they think doesn't fit or wears the colours of another team suddenly becomes the enemy and fair game for aggressive behaviour. Fortunately I haven't witnessed any racist fuelled incidents but even I have to own up to sometimes getting wrapped up in the whole hatred thing for opposing fans, bloody ridiculous when you think rationally about it.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby sussexpob » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:00 pm

Just watched it, though without sound. Indeed, fair play to him. I would have walked off, fearing a beating.

I think the only good thing out of this is he remained unhurt physically, I guess these animals must have fed themselves booze before hand and could have reacted to him trying to push on again with physical, rather than just verbal, violence.....

I have been to many sporting events, and hundreds of football matches, but for some reason only football supporters in a pack revert to base instincts and tribalism and anyone who they think doesn't fit or wears the colours of another team suddenly becomes the enemy and fair game for aggressive behaviour. Fortunately I haven't witnessed any racist fuelled incidents but even I have to own up to sometimes getting wrapped up in the whole hatred thing for opposing fans, bloody ridiculous when you think rationally about it.

I would have understood it slightly if he had "I love PSG" tattooed to his head, or was wearing team colours, but this is just a guy trying to get on a train, probably just trying to get home after a days work, not said anything or done anything to offend or to give an excuse...... Of course, we have all been there, screaming obscenities at rival supporters in the stand, losing your temper.... that's part of the passion of football, but there is a line, and this is WAAAYYY over it.

sussexpob

Postby mikesiva » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:23 pm

'Bradford City will consider a life ban if a fan arrested for alleged racial abuse of Reading midfielder Garath McCleary is found guilty. Bradford chairman Mark Lawn said the club will take their own action once police investigations are completed. A 36-year-old man from Bradford arrested during the FA Cup quarter-final replay has been released on bail. "If that person is found guilty, we will take action," Lawn said. "There is no place for that in the game." Campaign group Kick It Out commended the swift action taken after McCleary reported the alleged abuse.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31926892