A New Dawn - The Red Rose 2015

county and domestic cricket around the world

A New Dawn - The Red Rose 2015

Postby Making_Splinters » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:03 pm

2014 was a year of some highs and some very deep lows for the Red Rose. Completely outclassed in the LVCC despite being a class above the second decision the previous year, but the hope Fred gave us in the T20 final will live long in the memory. Another season in the second division beckons, a time for rebuilding and hopefully securing long term improvement from what should be a top class side.

The main themes of last season were under-performance and poor management. Reece embodied this more than any other player, going from being one of the most promising young players in the country to being unable to hold down a first team bearth. The lack of any foresight in realising how dependent we were on Kattich’s runs saw no replacement brought in at the start of the season and wasn’t till things had begun badly sliding that Ussie was signed. Too little too late and the resulting relegation spoke volumes about the state of the Club.

There have been some big changes at OT since the end of the season: After we finally got rid of Moores as Coach and Mike Watkinson as Director of Cricket, England cast off in Giles has taken his place with legendary Glen Chapple continuing in a coaching role. You’ll find few tears shed for either Moores or Watkinson and Giles did a very good job for the Bears so we have high hopes for his tenure at the Red Rose. There is less positivity surrounding Chapple, who did little to stem the tide last season and has been involved in some of our more spurious signings over the years. Tom Smith has taken over as Club Captain supported by Steve Croft as Vice Captain, both very talented players and it will be interesting to see how they take the side forwards.

Much like the end of last season, come the denouement of 2014s effort the loudest sound heard was “Timber” as the axe was brought down on the dead wood in the side: Wayne White – a player who no one ever understood why he was signed – left to go to Derbyshire. Kabir Ali who was either injured or underperformed during his two years here has been gotten rid of, another player who was a baffling signing. Oliver Newby who served the county for 12 seasons without ever breaking fully into the first team and Andrea Agathangelou who spent four seasons under performing were both let go. The mighty Kyle Hogg retired due to injury at the end of the season, he will leave a huge hole in the side for many seasons to come. We might as well say that Buttler has also left this season since we’re going to be seeing next to nought of him for the foreseeable future.

The signings made to replenish the ranks have been a bit hit and miss. Peterson signed a two year Kolpak contract leaving the way open to sign an overseas player, he brings a solid if not awe inspiring record to the Club but should serve to shore up a ropey batting line up. Nathan Buck is yet another pace bowler with a lot of potential but little record to back it up, you think we’d have learnt by now that these types of signings don’t work out. We also picked up George Edwards from Surrey who’s played a huge 4 first class games taking 8 wickets at over 40. Yes he’s young but he’s hardly the sort of solid player that the faithful were hoping to see on the books this year. Worryingly Giles’ preference for an overseas player is a bowler which is rather strange seeing as we have 7 pace bowlers on the books already, 2 spinners and the likes of Smith and Reece as well.

There is undoubted talent in the youth ranks as shown by Hameed, Mahmood and Parkinson all being selected for the England U-19 tour to Australia in March. Hameed in particular is highly rated averaging over 60 at U-19 level and there were serious calls for him to debut for the first XI at the end of last season. Parry has continued to be involved in the England set up without setting the world alight or disgracing himself as well as playing in the Big Bash this year. As always one of Giles’ main challenges will be reviewing the coaching structure to end the persistent underachievement by Lancashire’s young players.

In an interesting development, LCCC raised £3.4 million pounds through the innovative bond scheme, the first of its type seen in cricket and something that I would be shocked if other counties don’t adopt. Sadly however the funds are to be put towards the development of a new hotel at OT rather than strengthening the team adding yet more fuel to the suspicions that Lancashire is a venue first and a cricket team second. We’ll also be hosting a sold out Foo Fighters concert this year which is quite the heist given the number of excellent venues for live music in Manchester.

Any road up, it’s hard to see how our season could be worse than last year. The main hope must be that Giles and Chapple get the performance from players such as Reece that their talent merits. Promotion in the LVCC is a minimum expectation from a new look Lancashire, and appearances in at least one of the domestic one day cup knock out rounds would be a bonus,
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Re: A New Dawn - The Red Rose 2015

Postby Durhamfootman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:03 am

Lancs are one of those teams who ought to always be a div 1 side. Perhaps the worry is that div 2 has so many sides who are weaker than Lancs, that you could potentially gain promotion without really tackling the problems you identify.

still...... good luck for the season ahead.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Making_Splinters » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:25 am

Durhamfootman wrote:Lancs are one of those teams who ought to always be a div 1 side. Perhaps the worry is that div 2 has so many sides who are weaker than Lancs, that you could potentially gain promotion without really tackling the problems you identify.

still...... good luck for the season ahead.

It's not a worry, it's a proven issue. We gained promotion with little development two years ago and promptly crashed back down. Giles has a reputation of getting the most out of players, so hopefully we'll see some propper roots being put down for long term success.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:23 pm

Hameed hit 91* against Australia U-19 in the Youth Test
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby GarlicJam » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:46 pm

I read that Lancs have signed Faulkner as their overseas player, once Siddle goes to the Windies.

I see this as a good move for Faulkner, and therefore Australia.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:43 pm

First run out of the season. Before the rain intervened, Horton made a composed 83 before being getting out to Lilley - who's played the odd game for Yorkshire. Reece made a solid but slow 39.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:57 am

After a decent run out against the students, the real stuff starts today. Derbyshire away isn't the best game to get your feet under the desk as they're a very decent side. Certainly not the worst either though.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby hopeforthebest » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:04 am

Making_Splinters wrote:After a decent run out against the students, the real stuff starts today. Derbyshire away isn't the best game to get your feet under the desk as they're a very decent side. Certainly not the worst either though.

I agree splinters, I think Derbyshire are in contention for promotion.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:33 pm

Ton on debut from AP. With Smith he's pulled us back from 53 for 4.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:17 pm

In other news, Livingstone scored 350 off 138 including 27 6s for Nantwich today.

Both Smith and AP gone in quick succession.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Making_Splinters » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:32 pm

Despite a less than convincing display from the batting unit, a thumping win to get the season up and running.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby captaincolly » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:39 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:Despite a less than convincing display from the batting unit, a thumping win to get the season up and running.

Looks as if Lancashire have a potent bowling attack, probably enough batting quality to make enough runs for the bowlers to defend? Who do you expect to be your main rivals for promotion?
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby Making_Splinters » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:48 pm

Another game, another win. Closer than it should have been but the chase held little drama.

Can't ask for more than two from two at the start of the season.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Durhamfootman » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:04 pm

Indeed!
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:16 pm

With Faulkner to come. Unless he gets a call up.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Next

Return to Domestic Cricket