The Ashes; First Test, Cardiff, July 8-12

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: The Ashes; First Test, Cardiff, July 8-12

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:54 pm

Aussies will bounce back at Lords, I reckon, and hopefully that will set up a cracking series. There is the potential for this series to rival that of 2005 if England continue to play very positively and Australia respond to it in kind
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Dr Cricket » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:02 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:I think he's been doing ok in ODIs. Not checked.

Haddin stepped back in when they had problems with other keepers. I think he stayed on because he wanted another crack at winning/retaining the Ashes over here. And his heroics in 2013 meant that CA were willing to accommodate.

Yeah he said before that he won't discuss retirement after the ashes since he want to win ashes in England after 3 fail attempts.
Think wade been harshly treated though good batsman and glove work would get better as he plays more not sure why he missed the ashes and then dropped out of the radar.

This just came to me but haddin probably trying to hard in emulating Gilchrist which probably contributing to his bad test record, he known to be aggressive when he bats, counter attacking etc but that only really worked against England he usually known to be very agressive with the bat and often given his wicket away cheaply or dismissed for low score which is why his average is so low against so many teams.
He lucky to even average 20s against India and South Africa. He got 3-4 low not out scores against India lol.

Didn't wade average 40s with bat but I do remember Aussie media were not big fan of wade keeping which was odd since Haddin wasn't that much better than wade either,
Haddin was more liked by the 9 comms and media though.
Be interesting to see if Australia will mirror England in 13/14 considering prior was unfit, bad form and only playing because of past record and ashes ambitions just like haddin,
Will Haddin, Watson, rogers, Harris, Clarke be the players leaving australia this summer,

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:11 pm

Probably not Clarke, but yes to the rest. Mitch1 must be nearing the red zone too. And a tough series v NZ in the next home summer.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Dr Cricket » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Probably not Clarke, but yes to the rest. Mitch1 must be nearing the red zone too. And a tough series v NZ in the next home summer.

Clarke back gone + supposedly all the players like smith and biff and clarke don't get on.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:22 pm

I thought Captain Funky won everyone over after Hughes' funeral. Bad back or not, he misses few Tests with it.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:23 pm

Besides, the Aussies don't kick players out just because they aren't popular. Apart from Katich.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:48 pm

Moeen's action looked dodgy at times in this game. Never thought that before.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby KipperJohn » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:02 am

This time next week it will be the end of the 3rd day at Lords - be interesting to compare then with now. A week is a long time in cricket as well as politics.

Just plain daft to say it was the perfect Test from ball one for England - but a good win nonetheless.

Really enjoyed listening to Ponting - his insight, even handed commentary, wit and anecdotes were a breath of fresh air.
KipperJohn

Postby hopeforthebest » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:04 am

Joe Root should put Haddin on his Christmas card list as I seem to remember an edge from his bat flying past Haddin's shoulder at Lords in 2013 when he had scored only 4 runs. He went on to make 180 that test.
Nevertheless Root should be commended for making the most of his good fortune then and again in this test, many other batsmen wouldn't have been so determined.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:12 am

Durhamfootman wrote:Aussies will bounce back at Lords, I reckon, and hopefully that will set up a cracking series. There is the potential for this series to rival that of 2005 if England continue to play very positively and Australia respond to it in kind

G'day DFM, I hope the Aussies bounce back, and I think they will. Our batting was terrible, and we missed having a stock bowler in the attack. I can't believe that 2005 was 10 years ago. I wonder wear the years went sometimes. I think this will be a good series, if things hold together for both teams, but I can see Oz getting it together and winning comfortably, from one-nil down, or they'll completely fall in a heap, a la England two years ago.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:44 am

KipperJohn wrote:This time next week it will be the end of the 3rd day at Lords - be interesting to compare then with now. A week is a long time in cricket as well as politics.

Just plain daft to say it was the perfect Test from ball one for England - but a good win nonetheless.

Really enjoyed listening to Ponting - his insight, even handed commentary, wit and anecdotes were a breath of fresh air.

G'day Kipper,

i like Ponting as a pundant too. He along with Adam Gilchrist, Damien Fleming, Freddie Flintoff, and others provided the commentary for the Big Bash, which as well received by the cricket public here. If channel nine ever revamped their commentary team (I really hope they do), I'd bring Punter & Gilly in, getting rid of Ian Healy, and Mark Nicholas. If we have to have a Pom, Montgomery Burns would be a good choice to effectively fill the role of Tony Grieg.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby Gingerfinch » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:51 am

I didn't catch a ball yesterday, but it sounds like it was easier than expected. On to Lords with confidence. I take it Root was MOM?
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:12 am

Yes.

Pretty straightforward. Smith and Warner may have made a few Australians dream.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby KipperJohn » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:48 pm

A lot of talk praising Cook's captaincy - fair enough but England's seamers still had to bowl a consistently accurate line and length, with variations in delivery which, added to scoreboard pressure, won this game - Moeen and Root picked up wickets on the back of some great bowling.

England may have a youthful and refreshing look, but a lot will depend as well on how the 4 baggage handlers - Cook, Bell, Broad and Anderson - perform (and behave).
KipperJohn

Postby alfie » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:33 pm

from_the_stands wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:Aussies will bounce back at Lords, I reckon, and hopefully that will set up a cracking series. There is the potential for this series to rival that of 2005 if England continue to play very positively and Australia respond to it in kind

G'day DFM, I hope the Aussies bounce back, and I think they will. Our batting was terrible, and we missed having a stock bowler in the attack. I can't believe that 2005 was 10 years ago. I wonder wear the years went sometimes. I think this will be a good series, if things hold together for both teams, but I can see Oz getting it together and winning comfortably, from one-nil down, or they'll completely fall in a heap, a la England two years ago.

Think you've covered all possibilities there , FTS :) Good series , easy for Aussies , or total wipeout....your predictions are making my own fence sitting look positively decisive !

I agree about the stock bowler. Starc's injury may be a blessing in disguise , letting Siddle play. Starc is a wicket taker , as he showed in the first innings when not bowling well ; but I'm not sure they can play him and Johnson together in English conditions . Think Hazelwood will bowl well at Lord's : but the big question for Australia may be which MJ turns up next week...
alfie

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches