The Ashes; First Test, Cardiff, July 8-12

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: The Ashes; First Test, Cardiff, July 8-12

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:34 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
alfie wrote: but the big question for Australia may be which MJ turns up next week...

I've heard loads of commentators praising the Tash for the way he ran in all day

That's fair enough, I suppose, giving credit where credit is due, but Johnno isn't there to run in all day.... that's Hazlewood/Siddle's job. Johnno's job is to put in short bursts of exceptionally fast, hostile bowling and terrorise the England batsmen into giving their wickets away, He clearly didn't do that in Cardiff.

on a different aspect of this - am I the only one that thinks Johnson has a comical runup? Shoulders hunched, no neck, he looks like he is trying to sneak up on the batsmen - at a very fast pace.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:18 pm

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:24 pm

I mentioned that above, Bhaves. At least I was right you'd pick up on it!
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:51 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:True. Probably not the right thread for a discussion.... but it seems these numbers are low even for Sky.

Really low for sky considering Ashes generally gets double or triple the normal Cricket ratings.
England vs NZ rated higher than the Ashes.

Guessing all the Fake cricket fans are not tuning into the Cricket any more.

Cricket needs FTA coverage soon though in some form otherwise Cricket will die in this country and worldwide.
Crazy to think Cricket is the worse managed sport ever considering Cricket is dying in literally every nation and in 20-30 years time it is possible only India/Australia will be playing cricket the rest either not being good enough or bankrupted.

Worse of all is that BCCI, ECB probably killed cricket in most of the cricketing world, Only Australia cricketing structure looks healthy and that mostly because of the FTA aspect, Good TV ratings and Cricket Australia making good decision.

ECB are a joke though considering they known the issues facing cricket in this country for at least 10 years and are not really doing anything to fix it, they mostly assumed Ashes or BCCI will bail them out.

I understand the whole summer of cricket will never be FTA but the Ashes/T20 could easily be FTA, I would even like the ashes hype if it went FTA considering it would be helping the game grow.
Numbers of people playing cricket dropping, the percentage of Asian people playing cricket is rising high but only a small percentage play county cricket.
Remember reading an article illustrating the problems of the figures, Most English test players come from the private school system which only 6.5% of the population attend so vast majority of cricket players come from the 6.5% but 30-40% of people playing cricket come from Asian backgrounds and with government closing school fields and the urban state school mostly not playing cricket due to lack of interest and facilities.
Most problems are that Non Asians in urban areas generally can't play cricket because facilities are not really available in cites and State schools don't play it in PE, In my high school Cricket is only played in Sport days which is a round robin competition of 2 groups of 4 with 5 minute innings with mostly Asians bowling and batting.
It is really a joke considering the PE Teachers don't know rules, majority of the people get bored since they can't bowl or even hold a bat.
Asian people generally can't push to the next level because of facilities not present in cites or Education and life get in the way.
In my opinion not sure ECB are doing enough to fix these issues and because of this ECB can only pick from 6.5% of the population and that really only 3.3% if you take all the females out.

Not sure how England can do well in cricket if the problems don't get fixed even Ashes won't save Cricket in this country.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:06 pm

The ECB think they are doing ok, because they make a profit. They are carrying out the cliche about the operation being a success, but the patient being dead.

I absolutely agree with your post. But I'm not sure why the BBC should bother with cricket. It has a role as a public service to promote the game. But the ECB has done nothing to nurture that relationship. Indeed, I expect the ECB and Sky's solution to this problem of the paywall is to tie the hands of the BBC further, to narrow its boundaries until it disappears sufficiently. Which a sympathetic government is seeing to.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby hopeforthebest » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:12 pm

These numbers maybe correct for SKY viewers but I've not missed a single test in the last 10 years and I have no Sky access. There are a multitude of online options showing these tests and the figures given will have no way of knowing how many fans are using them.
Living in The Netherlands I have no choice as SKY is not available to me but I bet many England fans watch SKY as I do free online.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:20 pm

Yes, good point. I hope to follow you. It doesn't really point to a viable future for the game. It may account for some hidden interest.

Aren't England games shown free on youtube outside the uk?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby hopeforthebest » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:26 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Yes, good point. I hope to follow you. It doesn't really point to a viable future for the game. It may account for some hidden interest.

Not I'm aware of AC. They have shown IPL games but that's all I know of.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:48 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:These numbers maybe correct for SKY viewers but I've not missed a single test in the last 10 years and I have no Sky access. There are a multitude of online options showing these tests and the figures given will have no way of knowing how many fans are using them.
Living in The Netherlands I have no choice as SKY is not available to me but I bet many England fans watch SKY as I do free online.

numbers are too small to make a big difference to the ratings.
We talking about 200-300K people not watching cricket in 3-4 years.
Online viewing is only gonna account for about 5-10K

ECB would be concern with the ratings even with being on pay the Ashes should and could get 700-1M on sky considering Sky has enough reach to get those figures considering Ryder cup, PDC World darts championship, Us Open 'Tennis and other major non football sporting events.
General sports fans in this country not watching ashes or cricket in this country any more.

You could argue ECB were getting complacent with the ratings and didn't actually promote cricket well unlike Ryder Cup, PDC and other sporting events to increase viewing figures on Sky or on FTA.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:52 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Yes, good point. I hope to follow you. It doesn't really point to a viable future for the game. It may account for some hidden interest.

Not I'm aware of AC. They have shown IPL games but that's all I know of.

you tube showed england vs australia in 2013 but no idea if they still do it, I know You tube has the TMS comms no idea if it is included with the live video feed.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby KipperJohn » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:34 am

sussexpob wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:
sussexpob wrote:
1. The strange inclination to have 1st/2nd and 4th slip with a gap at three. Two edges went into the gap, the first was Steve Smith's first ball, and I cant remember any catches or drops in the Gully/4th slip area, or any edges that went that square on this pitch. I think two (maybe three if you count Cook's ricochet to Lyth from gully back to the slip) dismissals went to third slip. Clarke's slower ball was the only one that went aerial behind square to backward point. Didnt make a jot of sense at all.

2. With the ball doing everything for the seamers, and the Aussie Batsman looking like walking wickets, Cook turned for first change to Ali and released the pressure completely, costing a near 100 partnership that could have really damaged England's 4th innings defence.

To his credit.

1. The fielding positions on the drive in front of square contributed to dismissals and were a good call on a pitch where the two pace nature meant a lot of batsman popped shots in the air in these areas.

He didn't attack enough to Rogers, Warner and Smith early on when the bowlers were excellent, and the batters were looking to survive, not even get off strike. But, at least Cook didn't do his bit where he stands at second slip on his own. That drives me crazy.

If you wanted to be very critical, you could also fault the slip cordons depth positioning. England didnt seem to notice the pitch had quickened, and 2nd and 3rd slip were miles in front of the first slip and keeper. Joe Root dropped a very catchable ball, but was standing so close, he made it more difficult. He moved back after the drop and caught Rogers an over or two later very low though, so it maybe a mute point.

Root didn't catch Rogers. Bell caught him low down at second slip in the same position he'd been standing throughout the session to both left-handers. Which rather negates the argument, especially as Bell later caught Smith at second slip at waist height off the same bowler. On that wicket it was pretty impossible to judge whether balls would carry or die,
KipperJohn

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Dr Cricket wrote:ponting is a twat for saying that your captiancy record and players records are only really based on Ashes cricket.
What a stupid crap to say.
the hype Ashes get is a disgrace.

ponting said this in 2015.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:37 pm

fixated much?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby yuppie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:52 pm

Maybe time to let it go Dr Cricket. Perhaps just don't join in the discussion on ashes cricket. Just let everyone else enjoy it.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Previous

Return to Live Cricket Matches