Racism in English football?

The beautiful game!

Re: Racism in English football?

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:49 am

mikesiva wrote:'About 25% of players in the Premier League and Football League are black. Based on current figures, about 6.5% of managers in the top four divisions - or six in 92 - are black. As for coaches, well, that's an even sorrier tale. A recent study claimed that of 552 key coaching jobs in English football, 19 were occupied by people from black and ethnic backgrounds. Football Association board member Heather Rabbatts said it was further evidence "that bodies across the game need to work together to challenge discrimination", while Sports Minister Helen Grant said the findings of a Think Tank were both "appalling and worrying".'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31970841

When you think that only 3% of the total UK population is black that sounds like the Premier League and Football League are discriminating against the rest!

But does anyone really think along those lines, course not because most of us don't see it as a racist issue, just like most of us don't see the lack of black managers as a racist issue either.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Gingerfinch » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:32 am

Mike

The Rooney rule will aid in giving interviews to potential black managers, but does not guarantee a job. Do you think it will end there, if black managers are not offered these jobs?
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby rich1uk » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:35 am

people shouldn't be given jobs based on statistical quotas

given the scale of foreign owners and foreign coaches then trying to single out skin colour as being discriminated against makes little sense

are people really saying that an English club would be more likely to discriminate against a black English coach than a white south American ?
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:31 pm

There are far more pressing issues in football than some political motivated agenda, as they say sports and politics never mix.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby mikesiva » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:52 pm

"Premier League clubs and players had over 130,000 discriminatory posts directed at them between August 2014 and March 2015 -- that's 551 a day -- research by Tempero and Brandwatch found after trawling through Twitter, Facebook, supporters' forums and blogs. Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli is the most targeted player -- with 8000 abusive posts directed at the Italian, over half of which were racist. Teammate Daniel Sturridge had 1600 posts aimed at him, the majority of them on the grounds of sexual orientation."

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/17/footb ... balotelli/
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby dan08 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:09 pm

Don't think this is the right way to go about things http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33015657

Black managers are going to be interviewed just because they're black, not that the club are actually interested. If anything this makes the system more racist as clubs will now be interviewing managers based on skin colour not their managerial ability.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby yuppie » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:27 pm

dan08 wrote:Don't think this is the right way to go about things http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33015657

Black managers are going to be interviewed just because they're black, not that the club are actually interested. If anything this makes the system more racist as clubs will now be interviewing managers based on skin colour not their managerial ability.

Well if this is going to happen then a lot more black managers are going to need to become fully qualified. As i understand it only 13 black managers are full qualified, as opposed to 188 non black managers.

Otherwise Paul Ince will be interviewed for every job.

The real question is why so many black players don't go on to get full management qualifications. This is what needs to be addressed by clubs. Are black player being given the same opportunities for management training when their careers are coming to an end?
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby sussexpob » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:27 am

For a start, the definition of "ethnic minority" is far too hard to define to make this rule ever practical. I know there is this belief that white people are all the same, all the same ethnicity, even though us honkies are born all over the place, have different customs, languages, cultural backgrounds..... but in practice, you will find that by pure definition, Scottish/Irish and Welsh white people are minorities in England, defined so on the fact that even if their numbers are large (but considerably smaller), they are politically under represented in terms of power (SNP has 99% of seats in Scotland but only devolved power).

I think roughly half of the managers in the Championship last year are Welsh/Scottish or Irish.... and one Isreali.... so more ethnic minority representation than not.

But they are white minorities.... so they don't count, right? All the UK people are the same, its like Unionism in Ireland never existed, or that Scottish people by a ratio very close to 1:1 don't see themselves as british.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:37 am

I shouldn't complain though. I could revoke my dual nationality and move back to the UK as one of only 10,000 Norwegians in the UK, a fraction of a percent, and one of the smallest recognised ethnic minority communities in the UK. I might get lucky to find I am the only minority to apply for a job, and be able to get appointed after the interview, where I will list with great pride all the trophies I won with Cardiff on Championship Manager 2001. I won the quadruple at least 5 times in 30 seasons, and blew out Fergusons record at United.

Jonas Lunden... what a player. 55k from some Swedish League two side. In fact, I think the Swedish U-21 team on that game became better than Brazil's teams of the 1958-70 period. Selakovic, Lunden, Rosenburg, Kallstrom... they were all beasts.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby mikesiva » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:23 pm

'Four Chelsea fans accused of refusing to allow a black man on to the Paris Metro have been banned from attending football matches for up to five years. Richard Barklie, from Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland, and Joshua Parsons and William Simpson, both from Surrey, were banned for five years at Stratford Magistrates' Court. Jordan Munday, from Sidcup in Kent, was banned for three years.
They were told they could not attend major games at home or abroad. Chelsea have also banned the fans from attending any of their matches for life. District Judge Gareth Branston said: "Racist hatred was displayed by Chelsea fans on the Paris Metro that evening."'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33622106

It's pretty obvious that racism is still a problem in English football....

mikesiva

Postby yuppie » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:00 pm

mikesiva wrote:'Four Chelsea fans accused of refusing to allow a black man on to the Paris Metro have been banned from attending football matches for up to five years. Richard Barklie, from Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland, and Joshua Parsons and William Simpson, both from Surrey, were banned for five years at Stratford Magistrates' Court. Jordan Munday, from Sidcup in Kent, was banned for three years.
They were told they could not attend major games at home or abroad. Chelsea have also banned the fans from attending any of their matches for life. District Judge Gareth Branston said: "Racist hatred was displayed by Chelsea fans on the Paris Metro that evening."'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33622106

It's pretty obvious that racism is still a problem in English football....

Id say there are large areas in the UK as a whole where Racism is still a problem.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby mikesiva » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:38 am

Two more black managers sacked....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34728650

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34245530

I wonder how many black managers are left among the 92 clubs that make up English football.

mikesiva

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:21 am

I'm not surprised by Chris Ramsey I was waiting for that one. Not sure about Chris Powell, but I guess if you have a poor start in any division you are under threat.

Can't be many left?
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:24 am

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is the only black manager I can think of.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby sussexpob » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:26 am

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is the only black manager I can think of.

Think top of the Championship

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum