England - re-building for the future (PART 1)

Read the more in depth thoughts of our posters on various cricketing issues, topics and events - and please take the opportunity to leave feedback and enter into debate.

Re: England - re-building for the future (PART 1)

Postby Slipstream » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:37 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:All being well, Anderson will play in the next Ashes. I've got a feeling that Woakes will replace Anderson eventually. If people with promise make good on that promise, this could be our lower order about the time Jimmy goes:

Stokes/Buttler/Borthwick/Woakes/Broad/Finn.

Though of course things won't be that predictable.

Thank you for not retiring Anderson before the next Ashes. :hug
Slipstream

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:54 am

SaintPowelly wrote:Personally, I would forget entirerely about central contracts, forget entirely about previous accomplishments and send EVERONE back to County cricket for the first few weeks of the season and the best 12 or 13 English qualified players should be called up for the 1st Sri Lanka ( ?? ) test, if that means XI debutants then so be it, start entirely from scratch.

Lets put that theory to the test

Division One leading runscorers
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/county-ch ... tournament

Division One leading wicket takers

Division Two leading runscorers

Division Two leading wicket takers

My XI would end up like this
Adam Lyth, Sam Robson, James Taylor, Ian Bell (c), Samit Patel, James Vince, Chris Read (wk), Will Gidman, Liam Plunkett, Steve Finn, Jack Brooks.
12th and 13th men: Daryl Mitchell and Tom Smith
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Gingerfinch » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:54 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:
SaintPowelly wrote:Personally, I would forget entirerely about central contracts, forget entirely about previous accomplishments and send EVERONE back to County cricket for the first few weeks of the season and the best 12 or 13 English qualified players should be called up for the 1st Sri Lanka ( ?? ) test, if that means XI debutants then so be it, start entirely from scratch.

Adam Lyth, Sam Robson, James Taylor, Ian Bell (c), Samit Patel, James Vince, Chris Read (wk), Will Gidman, Liam Plunkett, Steve Finn, Jack Brooks.

Not powelly's best idea ever.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby SaintPowelly » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:59 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:

Not the worst looking team, I'd probably have Mitchell instead of 1 of the openers though.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby Alviro Patterson » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:42 pm

Barring the current England players of Robson, Bell and Plunkett that would make a very good England Lions squad.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby alfie » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:02 pm

alfie wrote:I imagine Stokes will bat at six for now. With Swann gone , the extra bowling option is tempting even for an avowed six-four man like me. When and if a new spinner establishes himself things might be different : and by then we will have a better idea of how Stokes is developing as either bowler or batsman.
Of course if a batsman who can actually bowl serious spin ( a step up from Root ) wins a spot in the top six it all changes...

Not sure why FTS is so sure Anderson will be gone by the next Ashes : he is only 31 ; having a decent rest at last right now ; and as one who relies more on skill than brute pace there seems no reason he shouldn't go on for a while yet.

I see a forgotten man is doing reasonably well in the Lions tour : Plunkett ...remember him ? Only 27 : could he possibly come again ?

One "plus" from a disastrous Ashes is that selection is quite open and unpredictable again : gives everyone a lot more to argue about :)

Note above quote dated 21 February.

Ahem : after today I am requesting a round of applause for bringing Plunkett to the attention of the selectors at an early date :)
alfie

Postby Slipstream » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:55 pm

Almost 2 years later.

Last Test

Cook
Hales
Compton
Root
Taylor
Stokes
Bairstow
Ali
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

Finn has become selectable again so he will replace Woakes with Wood on next in line. Hales, Compton and Taylor seem to be the weakest links. I think all 3 have been warned by Cook to get runs in the cc before the first Test against Sri Lanka. I like the idea of Ali as the 8th batsman. Broad has a Test 100. Finn and Anderson have a fifty each. :hide We are ready. :dance
Slipstream

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:46 pm

Slipstream wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:All being well, Anderson will play in the next Ashes. I've got a feeling that Woakes will replace Anderson eventually. If people with promise make good on that promise, this could be our lower order about the time Jimmy goes:

Stokes/Buttler/Borthwick/Woakes/Broad/Finn.

Though of course things won't be that predictable.

Thank you for not retiring Anderson before the next Ashes. :hug

Well, Borthwick was in the XI when I posted that.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:52 pm

Slipstream wrote:Almost 2 years later.

Finn has become selectable again so he will replace Woakes with Wood on next in line. Hales, Compton and Taylor seem to be the weakest links. I think all 3 have been warned by Cook to get runs in the cc before the first Test against Sri Lanka. I like the idea of Ali as the 8th batsman. Broad has a Test 100. Finn and Anderson have a fifty each. :hide We are ready. :dance

Not sure why Hales has been given April off if he needs runs, although I agree he'll need runs. I wouldn't worry too much about Broad's 100.... that could easily be the dodgiest of dodge pot 100's ever (although not on his part)
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Slipstream » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:38 am

Durhamfootman wrote:
Slipstream wrote:Almost 2 years later.

Not sure why Hales has been given April off if he needs runs, although I agree he'll need runs. I wouldn't worry too much about Broad's 100.... that could easily be the dodgiest of dodge pot 100's ever (although not on his part)

It seems we are not ready. Cook's 5 players that could force their way into the team this summer -

Nick Browne
James Vince
Ben Foakes
Gary Ballance
Craig Overton

I don't know what a wicket-keeper or a bowler is doing there. What about Footitt? Wasn't he at the top of the queue when Finn and Wood were injured?
Slipstream

Postby sussexpob » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:54 am

The day Craig overton plays for England is the day I start supporting another team. Racist scumbag
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Slipstream » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:16 am

sussexpob wrote:The day Craig overton plays for England is the day I start supporting another team. Racist scumbag

Me too.
Slipstream

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:02 am

I don't know about this.... please tell
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby sussexpob » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:19 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:I don't know about this.... please tell

He has been banned for the start of the county season for "abusive language" towards Ashar Zaidi in the Sussex game last year. He apparently unprovoked decided that he should inform Zaidi, a British Citizen, that he should "f*ck off back to his own country", a statement that was overheard by Alex Wharf umpiring and by Michael Yardy at the non-strikers end. When Yardy heard it he apparently told Overton that it was unacceptable to say such things, and he was also told he should f*ck off somewhere too.

Id be more inclined to accept it as a heat of the moment thing, but Overton was invited to apologise by Zaidi afterwards, and felt he didnt need to because he hadnt done anything wrong. Quite how an England prospect thinks that the initial comment, and then the fact it didnt need an apology, are acceptable is quite staggering.

The saddest thing was the ECB and England Captain reactions to it. They only banned him on the "three strikes youre out policy" they have because it was the third time he was cited for such an outburst in a short amount of time, but little was seemingly said about the nature of the abuse. Apparently being racist is the same as generally being moronic and swearing, which is a dangerous precedent. He was found guilty of using general bad language, and not apparently racial motivated. So its ok to say to a British Asian lad he should "politely return to his country of origin", but use the word f*ck while doing it, youre in trouble. :facepalm

Cook for his part seemingly stated Overton should show more responsibility but didnt mention anything about racism and downplayed the serious nature of it, and the ECB where keen to point out that in no way was the ban re-categorised so leniently because of Overtons involvement with England.... but they werent fooling anyone there.

I know Yorkshire's reaction was one of shock. Gale did the same thing and got banned a lot longer, and I believe that Jason Gillespie has had something to say on the burying of the issue.

Either way, Overton seems to be a pretty repugnant individual, not only on this case, but has consistently let himself down with his on field outbursts.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Slipstream » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:51 am

Earlier in March that year he was awarded 3 penalty points for abuse. Also with the Under-19s in 2012 he was charged by the ICC of damaging cricket equipment when he smashed his bat against a wall.
Slipstream

PreviousNext

Return to Cricketing Blogs