Warwickshire match thread ( moans happily accepted)

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Warwickshire match thread ( moans happily accepted)

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:21 pm

Hain and Ambrose doing a Dawson and Wheater.

Fruitless day for Hants where bowling points are concerned.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby hopeforthebest » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:28 pm

These batters going for gold (5 bonus points) so points for wickets highly likely.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:41 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:These batters going for gold (5 bonus points) so points for wickets highly likely.

I said the same on the Hants thread, 11 balls to get a wicket and another bonus point. Warwickshire need 22 runs for max batting.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:46 pm

Minor plus point, Crane gets two wickets in the 109th over and we score a second bowling point in the Nick of time.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:52 pm

Clarke almost gets Warwickshire their fifth batting point. Needed two sixes off the last two balls of the 110th over he gets a six and a four. Unlucky.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby hopeforthebest » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:11 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Clarke almost gets Warwickshire their fifth batting point. Needed two sixes off the last two balls of the 110th over he gets a six and a four. Unlucky.

Even more fun than a T20 as there are no fielding restrictions. Similar attempt at Taunton but on a greater scale.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

hopeforthebest

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:38 pm

I was a bit hacked off yesterday, but congratulations to Warks for securing a QF slot with an emphatic victory over Yorks. When it mattered, your boys stood up to be counted
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby KipperJohn » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:12 pm

I see Chopra is going back to Essex at the end of the season. What's all that about?

Hope will know I'm sure.
KipperJohn

Postby captaincolly » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:18 pm

KipperJohn wrote:I see Chopra is going back to Essex at the end of the season. What's all that about?

Hope will know I'm sure.

One article mentioned that because they now have Bell on the wage bill they have to be careful not to exceed the salary cap. Reading between the lines though it looks as if there might have been a fall out between player and club because I read somewhere that he scored 90 something in a one day match but was then left out for the next game.
Perhaps Warwickshire having a few ageing players is a factor , would not want to lose them all to retirement around the same time.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby hopeforthebest » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:40 pm

captaincolly wrote:
KipperJohn wrote:I see Chopra is going back to Essex at the end of the season. What's all that about?

Hope will know I'm sure.

One article mentioned that because they now have Bell on the wage bill they have to be careful not to exceed the salary cap. Reading between the lines though it looks as if there might have been a fall out between player and club because I read somewhere that he scored 90 something in a one day match but was then left out for the next game.
Perhaps Warwickshire having a few ageing players is a factor , would not want to lose them all to retirement around the same time.

The story Warks tell is the that Chopra gave up the captaincy not that he was pushed and that when they wanted to talk contract renewal he said he wanted to move back to where he came from. For that reason it was decided not to use him in white ball cricket and develope younger players. As for Bell, isn't he still on a central contract I don't remember hearing he'd been dropped from it. They run from September to September and he was playing in the UAE last November. If that's correct and I think it is then Warks do not have to pay his salary just yet.

hopeforthebest

Postby captaincolly » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:53 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

Hope will know I'm sure.

The story Warks tell is the that Chopra gave up the captaincy not that he was pushed and that when they wanted to talk contract renewal he said he wanted to move back to where he came from. For that reason it was decided not to use him in white ball cricket and develope younger players. As for Bell, isn't he still on a central contract I don't remember hearing he'd been dropped from it. They run from September to September and he was playing in the UAE last November. If that's correct and I think it is then Warks do not have to pay his salary just yet.

He probably will still have that contract then but it won't be renewed. I know when Durham got docked points for exceeding the salary cap they said the problem was players coming back onto the wage bill. Since then there's been talk of the system being tweaked but I don't know if it has been.
Perhaps the official explanation is the truth and he genuinely wants to go home. Seems odd though because - with all due respect to Essex - he's leaving a successful team for one that has struggled for a while.
captaincolly

Postby hopeforthebest » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:10 pm

Does every club have a salary cap or only those owing money to the ECB? The way Surrey behave it's difficult to believe they have the same cap as Durham.

hopeforthebest

Postby captaincolly » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:19 pm

Surrey do seem to be able to spend freely without worrying about the cap. There have been suggestions Durham are essentially working with a lower salary cap by order of the ECB. When John Hastings got injured and couldn't play this season the club were apparently 'advised' by the ECB not to sign a replacement.
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:53 pm

Salary cap applies to all clubs currently circa £2.1million but London clubs is slightly larger quite fairly. Durham operate at a lower level by order of ECB. There current salary bill is approx £1 million which includes Mustard and Stone man's salaries. Easy to exceed the salary cap by sponsors paying players for PR work.
westoelad

Postby hopeforthebest » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:30 am

westoelad wrote:Salary cap applies to all clubs currently circa £2.1million but London clubs is slightly larger quite fairly. Durham operate at a lower level by order of ECB. There current salary bill is approx £1 million which includes Mustard and Stone man's salaries. Easy to exceed the salary cap by sponsors paying players for PR work.

In the days when a footballers pay was fixed at a maximum of £15 wealthy club directors used to 'employ' if that's the right word, players to attract them to play for the club. I guess it goes on in cricket as well.

hopeforthebest

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket