2016 Hampshire Thread

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: 2016 Hampshire Thread

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:55 pm

sussexpob wrote:
westoelad wrote:The stated rule for relegation is the 2 teams with the lowest points. Durham weren't one of those teams. They were demoted for issues of finance -they didn't meet the criteria for relegation.
Hants, Yorks, Glamorgan, Northants and Warks have all recently had to seek bail outs because they weren't self- financing. So how didn't these clubs create unlevel playing fields? And why did they avoid sanctions?

Did anyother club seek financing from the neutral custodians of the game?

surely Glamorgan comes close was reading about them today and it looks very dodgy.
Sport Wales puts a lot of money in Glamorgan which the other counties don't get since they don't actually have a national sports charity actively putting most of their allocation in the chosen sport all in one club.
For example Sports England money is basically given to ECB for grass root cricket.

plus the cricket wales board is quite powerful and basically the reason for Glamorgan getting big games or actually having a test stadium in the first place.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_Wales
so if Cricket Wales helps glamorgan surely it counts as the same thing as ECB paying Durham to get them out of the financial mess.

Technically Cricket wales should be neutral but it clearly help Glamorgan a lot.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby sussexpob » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:59 pm

Not the same as Sport Wales covers a different area, and as such may see giving money to Wales only professional cricket outfit as benefiting the sporting fabric as a whole.

Its an interesting point, and I agree to some level, but the unique politics of the UK make it different.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:34 am

sussexpob wrote:Not the same as Sport Wales covers a different area, and as such may see giving money to Wales only professional cricket outfit as benefiting the sporting fabric as a whole.

Its an interesting point, and I agree to some level, but the unique politics of the UK make it different.

yeah, not sure I be happy if I was welsh and my money was getting wasted in Glamorgan considering the money not exactly been well spent, Swalec is essentially a white elephent, Glamorgan doesn't exactly have a great squad or the money not being spent to make Glamorgan successful and if anything the money only being spent for political reason or to make Cardiff a major sporting city in the uk.

Didn't they bid some stupid amount for Sri lanka and West indies test matches and essentially over paid a lot for 2 Ashes test and then couldn't afford it since glamorgan county games are not well attended even the T20 struggle to be a sell out and then get bailed out by the council and then get an unbelievable sponsorship deal that looks dodgy like the ones in football to beat the financial fair play rules.

something doesn't look right in Glamorgan considering they got loads of sporting bodies or association interested in cricket in wales and Glamorgan plus it is quite hard to explain how the county being in strife financial problems around 2010/11 and then they could suddenly afford another Ashes test and Champions trophy games and 2 or 3 international games a season with no apparent money problems.

wouldn't surprise me in the future if it was found they were loads of conflict of interest in Cardiff getting games or money from the council or sport wales or even the national body of cricket in wales.

Like does Cricket wales for being the governing body of Wales cricket being a company limited of guarantee mean it can basically fund Glamorgan so much since it fulfilling its purpose of increasing participation and support of the game in wales and with it being a company limited of guarantee it doesn't have to worry about losses.
if so that is pretty much unfair to the english counties since ECB don't exactly fund counties like Cricket wales do.

So essentially Glamorgan getting money from the national cricket body of cricket in wales, ECB, Sky, The council which the cricket wales helped bring in and a very good sponsorship deal again help by the Cricket wales boards.
Really doesn't sound fair, not sure how Glamorgan not done well in county cricket with how much money being spent in Glamorgan.

For me Cricket wales role needs to be clarified since they are a separate body to Glamorgan but are influential in the ECB circles and get a lot of money from welsh governments and the sports wales body.
Although you are right in that with Glamorgan being the only professional side, Cricket wales essentially puts most of its money to it.
http://www.cricketwales.org.uk/uploads/ ... preads.pdf

looks like a lot spent in the academy and youth programmes in Wales.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby westoelad » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:05 am

sussexpob wrote:
westoelad wrote:The stated rule for relegation is the 2 teams with the lowest points. Durham weren't one of those teams. They were demoted for issues of finance -they didn't meet the criteria for relegation.
Hants, Yorks, Glamorgan, Northants and Warks have all recently had to seek bail outs because they weren't self- financing. So how didn't these clubs create unlevel playing fields? And why did they avoid sanctions?

They're custodians of a very large pot of money which is money which should be used for the long term stability of cricket. If a cricket institution requires emergency funding to maintain stability surely that's what such reserves should be used for.
westoelad

Postby sussexpob » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:33 am

westoelad wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

They're custodians of a very large pot of money which is money which should be used for the long term stability of cricket. If a cricket institution requires emergency funding to maintain stability surely that's what such reserves should be used for.

Answer on the Durham thread :thumb
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:36 am

sussexpob wrote:Have to say, Kent not being promoted in a position which traditionally always has..... ludicrous.

You are very lucky boys.

It was agreed in March one up two down and that's what's happened, just Durham instead of Hants, so to suggest the decision is ludicrous is another pointer to you not being over 2015, ha ha ha.

Not lucky at all, just one of those things. Most of us had accepted relegation and I was looking forward to thrashing your guys next summer instead of struggling in the depths of div one again.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby sussexpob » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:47 am

The rules of the competition were circumvented when Durham were relegated, so to then draw on the same rules the ECB just set on fire to justify what is essentially a 50-50 decision on who to move up or down.... doesnt fly. In a year when they reduced the teams in Division 2 being promoted, imo its far more equitable to promote Kent and reward their good season.

Why this has anything to do with Sussex, I have no idea. We finished 3rd and are unaffected, and Kent.... well come on, do you really think a Sussex fan is going to side with Kent as a choice!!! The perfect scenario is to relegate Hampshire and keep Kent where they are, lets have the 3 way battle off :box (although our batting line up is so terrible, we would no doubt lose all 4 matches)

Obviously I chuckled at your suggestion that not being relegated after being relegated was not lucky.....

sussexpob

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:54 am

It hasn't got anything to do with Sussex, except that your suggesting the decision was ludicrous, which is ridiculously over the top, smacked of a tad of anti Hanty feeling left over from the end of the 2015 season!
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby sussexpob » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:01 am

budgetmeansbudget wrote:It hasn't got anything to do with Sussex, except that your suggesting the decision was ludicrous, which is ridiculously over the top, smacked of a tad of anti Hanty feeling left over from the end of the 2015 season!

More motivated by my annoyance at the fairness of being relegated in a year where the ECB suddenly decide to half the amount of teams being promoted....... and then when given a chance to correct that unfairness, decide to instead grant a team relegated the benefit of the doubt without explaining why.

When you look at it in black and White, you essentially find that 3 teams were legitimately relegated this year, but only one was promoted.

sussexpob

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:16 am

I must admit I never thought cricket followers would ever get too emotionally charged by relegation/promotion issues since we went to two tiers in the county championship.

It hardly impacts in the same way as promotion/relegation to/from the Premier League!
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby westoelad » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:44 am

budgetmeansbudget wrote:I must admit I never thought cricket followers would ever get too emotionally charged by relegation/promotion issues since we went to two tiers in the county championship.

It hardly impacts in the same way as promotion/relegation to/from the Premier League!

That will happen if your thinking processes are narrow.
westoelad

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:59 am

westoelad wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:I must admit I never thought cricket followers would ever get too emotionally charged by relegation/promotion issues since we went to two tiers in the county championship.

More important things in life than over concerning yourself with such trivial matters. Unless you're directly employed by the club or their future directly impacts on your income somehow, then its best to move on as quickly as possible.

I find over thinking things complicates your life too much and often leads to misunderstanding!
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby westoelad » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:47 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:
westoelad wrote:

More important things in life than over concerning yourself with such trivial matters. Unless you're directly employed by the club or their future directly impacts on your income somehow, then its best to move on as quickly as possible.

I find over thinking things complicates your life too much and often leads to misunderstanding!

Always good to read philosophical views.
Plato,Socrates, Budgetmeansbudget....
westoelad

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:01 pm

I agree with budget, there is no real difference between playing in div 1 and playing in div2.

it's just a source of pride to the players and the fans to be a county in the top flight.

I've never been frightened by the prospect of relegation for Durham, something we haven't had to do for longer than anyone else.... and I confess to a certain twisted pride that the ECB had to step in and do the job that all the other counties abjectly failed to do :halo:
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:22 am

Just a shame we don't get our two four day games with you guys next season, always a highlight for me on this forum.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket