Afghan tour of Zimbabwe, ODI series, Feb 16-26

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: Afghan tour of Zimbabwe, ODI series, Feb 16-26

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:59 pm

dan08 wrote:Keep them as a full member or they'll just fall away even further. Need to expand the game by giving the lower ranked teams more chances, not just kicking them out.

problem is Zimbabwe are getting way complacent and basically wasting the money on them selves.
highly doubt they spend 20% of their money on the cricket team.
They need to scrap and actually fight for the money now.

Not saying kick zimbabwe out of cricket but they need to be removed from full membership and become an associate so they can actually look at producing players and being good, since at the moment Zimbabwe are just happy keeping the cash and laughing at the associates.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:06 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Without the money Zimbabwe may not have the means or the motivation to carry on. I don't know how much enthusiasm there is left for the game there, but I wonder if the game is only surviving to make sure the money keeps coming.

Do think Zimbabwe better off if the money goes, will keep out the corrupt and politician out of the sport and people that actually like cricket and want cricket to prosper in Zimbabwe can do what they can do to make the sport survive since at the moment Zimbabwe going no where considering the rich or the elite Zimbabwe politicians will always take money out of it considering it is quite easy when they will have guaranteed income for life for being full membership.

reckon zimbabwe cricket will survive since the likes of Alan Butcher, Heath Streak and other do want the sport to prosper there but have all admitted that at the moment the politics and the boards not helping cricket survive there when the players don't get money or any facitlites to practice and I suspect the budget to manage Zimbabwe is way smaller than Ireland and they get peanuts compared to Zimbabwe board.

Zimbabwe cricket won't be fixed until the funding goes and the corrupt people in Zimbabwe circle leave and they will only go if ICC stops give free dosh at them.
by all means give them money if they actually doing well and they actually merit the money, if they are an associate nations I believe ICC only give them money or have more power in where the money is spent unlike now.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:08 pm

I think the biggest issue with Zimbabwe is that they are used as a reason to give the associates Test status. Beating Zimbabwe doesn't mean you are ready to play against the real Test teams.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:09 pm

Alan Butcher book on Zimbabwe is actually quite a good read.
Tell you how much less money the cricket actually gets and I suspect the top tier associates are better funded at the cricket than zimbabwe are.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Supposed to be the same in SL. Does this also go on in Pakistan and WI? There do seem to be hints.

Arguably to a degree in UK too given extreme salaries and expenses at the top, though that is at least not political and it is declared.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:15 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:I think the biggest issue with Zimbabwe is that they are used as a reason to give the associates Test status. Beating Zimbabwe doesn't mean you are ready to play against the real Test teams.

Good point but think ICC are keen for the top tier associates to have Test status but not full membership, since they really want to play test even if it only against each other and Zimbabwe.
Not sure anyone reads anything about beating Zimbabwe, but beating Bangladesh on the other hand means a lot, although think only Hong kong and Afghanistan beaten Bangladesh, personally think Afghanistan close to being a test nation, cricket is too big in the country and they producing cricketers of high quality in the under 19 set up, not even Ireland could claim that since they really struggled in the under 19 format or producing players.

ICC not really too keen on the associates playing test against England/India but they do want Ireland vs Scotland being a test fixture in the future.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:24 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Supposed to be the same in SL. Does this also go on in Pakistan and WI? There do seem to be hints.

Arguably to a degree in UK too given extreme salaries and expenses at the top, though that is at least not political and it is declared.

big difference is that even with the corruption/politics in pakistan, Sri lanka WI etc money is never really taken off from the cricket fund or the team.
the corruption/politics is quite different in that they use the cricket to get a profile in the country or to make money out of it not to get money out of the sport hopefully that makes sense.
basically they use the cricket to help their business or outside interest not to take out money from the boards so they can be richer, they essentially have a motive for the cricket to do well so they get more out of it as well.

not sure it is the same as Zimbabwe.
where the people running the sports don't actually care if zimbabwe do well or not.
the boards in Sri lanka, pakistan etc do and they need them to do well if they are actually to make money out of it and frankly never seen them ever take money out of the game there.
Sri lanka have even spent loads on Stadiums and facilities during the 2011 world cup and a lot of that money came from the government and the board so if they really were corrupted or wanted the money they wouldn't have done that, actually didn't the board make a huge loss because of the world cup and upgrading all the facilities and building new stadiums.
most of the corruption in Sri lanka or pakistan is based on Selection and not really funding.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:29 pm

I read an interview with Sanga a while ago where he was at least implying that politicians were syphoning off cash in his country.

Maybe it was the board.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:38 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:I read an interview with Sanga a while ago where he was at least implying that politicians were syphoning off cash in his country.

Maybe it was the board.

think he was saying that the board should be funding more in the grass root level and domestic level and not rely on the school system to produce the players ready for international cricket.
not saying money not taken out of the game there but it is minor or a very small amount compared to Zimbabwe where it is basically most of the funding.
tough one really since Sanga and Jayawardene are correct but realistically it was never really going to happen not sure how sri lanka can fund the domestic game.
suppose they can do more but what Sanga or Jayawardene want is unlikely to happen considering Sri lanka board is not exactly made out of money.

Sri lanka do have problems with the domestic game but not really sure how they can fix it considering sri lanka won't have the money do it and they are probably doing the best they can do with the money, could be better which Jaya and Sanga want.

Still wouldn't say Sri lanka issues are even close to matching what goes on in Zimbabwe, considering Sri lanka board member still needs sri lanka cricket to be strong and their young players are still decent but they probably won't be competitive overseas anymore since they lost gun players in Jaya, Sanga and Murli.

Think Sanga and Jaya basically want Sri lanka youngster to be more polished like england, Australian, indian players are and they do get annoyed in that the gap is way bigger for sri lanka Domestic setup and international cricket.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:43 pm

OK, thanks for the info.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:46 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:I read an interview with Sanga a while ago where he was at least implying that politicians were syphoning off cash in his country.

Maybe it was the board.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... st-england
TBH never heard him say money been taken off from the game but he has said the domestic structure could be better which is no different to saying ECB could do better in the blast or structuring the domestic season.
should be remembered players always want domestic cricket or structure to be improved.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:55 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2011/ ... ka-cricket

Might have been this, which implies what I was saying above.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:07 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2011/jul/04/kumar-sangakkara-politics-sri-lanka-cricket

Might have been this, which implies what I was saying above.

do remember that but it is a tough one considering Sri lanka were a financial mess and the world cup did leave them close to bankruptcy at the time.
Can't find much from the article that suggest money was taken out of the sports.
Accountability and transparency in administration and credibility of conduct were lost in a mad power struggle that would leave Sri Lankan cricket with no consistent and clear administration. Presidents and elected executive committees would come and go; government-picked interim committees would be appointed and dissolved.

"After 1996 the cricket board has been controlled and administered by a handful of well-meaning individuals either personally or by proxy rotated in and out depending on appointment or election. Unfortunately to consolidate and perpetuate their power they opened the door of the administration to partisan cronies that would lead to corruption and wonton waste of cricket board finances and resources.

All it really suggest that money was wasted and resources were not used properly.
"It was and still is confusing. Accusations of vote buying and rigging, player interference due to lobbying from each side and even violence at the AGMs, including the brandishing of weapons and ugly fist fights, have characterised cricket board elections for as long as I can remember.

"We have to aspire to better administration. The administration needs to adopt the same values enshrined by the team over the years: integrity, transparency, commitment and discipline.

"Unless the administration is capable of becoming more professional, forward-thinking and transparent then we risk alienating the common man. Indeed, this is already happening. Loyal fans are becoming increasingly disillusioned. This is very dangerous because it is not the administrators or players that sustain the game – it is the cricket-loving public. It is their passion that powers cricket and if they turn their backs on cricket then the whole system will come crashing down."

Not really sure any of it suggest money was taken out and would be a big leap for him to make that statement considering Sri lanka board spent a lot of money on the World cup and new stadiums/better pitches etc for the world cup and are in no financial situation to even do anything about it in the next few years or ever really.

What I think kumar is really saying is that politics and selection should be separate, not sure if Jaysuriya was the mp at the time and a selector and basically the government picked the team and Jayasuriya and the selectors or the captain didn't get on.
Sanga wasn't really a big fan of being forced to pick players or annoyed for not having the squad he wanted at times.

Struggling to find evidence of Sanga ever saying money was taken out of the game, although do know he was annoyed how the game was run and the domestic structure but he never actually stated money was taken out.
Always thought he was more annoyed about the political interference than the money side of things, since he mostly understands that money is often tight for the board, although he does have a point on the 3 day first class competition.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:10 am

He says the board went from one that ran on goodwill to one that used up a lot of money to run itself, rather than the game.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:15 am

even reading the cowdrey notes he mentions that the reason the domestic system doesn't get fixed is that administrators and people in charge risk losing votes in the election.
the powerful Clubs that will lose out if they get more domestic teams are the ones that vote for the administrators.
Really struggling to find any evidence where he says money is taken out of the sport in sri lanka, probably does happen but it is probably a similar figure to Giles clarke lunch budget or hotel expenses, so basically no different to what goes on in England or Australia.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches