The enigma that is Kevin Pietersen

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: The enigma that is Kevin Pietersen

Postby GarlicJam » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:29 am

t'wern't no rant, t'was a t'weet.

Tweeting is something that I reckon Boof should not do. That, and being commentator on the BBL. At least while still the Aus coach.

As much as I would enjoy a Pietersen failure, it is pretty obvious that he has been a successful recruit for the Stars.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:15 pm

Looks like KP is starting to wind down with his decision not to enter into the auction for the IPL. It'd be great if he played a little cricket in England this summer, maybe in the T20 league.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby dan08 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:37 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Looks like KP is starting to wind down with his decision not to enter into the auction for the IPL. It'd be great if he played a little cricket in England this summer, maybe in the T20 league.

No chance.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby m@tt » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:40 pm

I'd like to think that a 3-week long tournament would get him playing. But he's on record as saying that the T20 Blast is too spread out and therefore difficult to find form. Yes he could play the other formats but then he would be denying a young player a playing spot, a case of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'.
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby andy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:12 pm

When Cook announced his retirement, ex players and current players said farewell cooky etc.... KP tweeted ' #bringbackKP#
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:33 pm

A bit of a sense of humour there from KP.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Aidan11 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:23 pm

2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby GarlicJam » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:07 pm

harsh words.

Very believable, imo.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby rich1uk » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:10 pm

GarlicJam wrote:harsh words.

Very believable, imo.

they are but alot more went wrong on that tour than just what KP did or didn't do but he was made the scapegoat
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby hopeforthebest » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:26 pm

Pieterson was not kicked out for what went on during that tour he was kicked out for years of assorted problems he kept providing. The manner of his removal should have been a lot better as he deserve better treatment than a secret court marshal type dismissal.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby GarlicJam » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:59 pm

rich1uk wrote:
GarlicJam wrote:harsh words.

Very believable, imo.

they are but alot more went wrong on that tour than just what KP did or didn't do but he was made the scapegoat

Not much is worse in the cricketing touring area (going back to my extensive memories of touring with cricket teams) than refusing to play for the team.

If what Gooch says is accurate - and this long since the event, he is far less likely to be making stuff up - Pietersen thoroughly deserved to be dropped.

There is no 'i' in cricket....
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby alfie » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:09 am

This saga just refuses to die...

Look I don't think the basic facts are really in dispute , are they ? Details apart , it was clear for a long time that KP was his own man - to put it kindly - which is not to say he wasn't a great asset to his team. Much as Boycott's self centered approach , while it sometimes caused trouble for his captains (didn't Willis once have to urge Botham to run him out for the sake of the game plan ? ) , generally meant vital runs for England , so too KP's ambition paid huge dividends for the team - not to mention enthralling the spectators.
No exaggeration to say he was one of the major factors in England's rise from mediocrity to the top. And in many ways he was actually a good influence (I am here disregarding what he may have said to/about Taylor , as it seems a little out of character) for his younger teammates.

However , as is nearly always the case , a plunge in a team's fortunes puts huge pressure on hitherto dormant fault lines in that elusive entity known as team spirit. It is in adversity that players tend to start looking at each other with a more critical eye - and one who seems to disregard the team interest and rather waste his talents while others are really struggling to compete is always likely to cause some resentment. No surprise Gooch was angry. Or that others subsequently concluded that the rebuilding probably wasn't best served by continuing with Pietersen as a key member of the team.
It is definitely a sad thing that the eventual parting of the ways came about in such an awkward and publicly charged manner. At the same time it is hard to think of a way in which it could have been handled which would have satisfied all parties. ( For England , anyway ....the more hard headed Australians would have simply left him out of the next team without comment - and , when questioned further , said they felt it was time to bring fresh blood into the squad and KP's fitness issues made him the logical candidate to be moved on... They do these hatchet jobs much better.)

Suppose Gooch , like others , will be constantly prodded for comment on this issue ; so it is going to keep getting attention. A pity , as surely most people want to move on ?

Or maybe not : perhaps this could be good for another 22 pages :)
alfie

Postby meninblue » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Maybe KP would have said yes to change in batting position had the management been different. The conflict was probably too much between KP and management for either of the two parties to take a backstep.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Who's Kevin Pietersen?
Arthur Crabtree

Previous

Return to International Cricket