North-South series

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: North-South series

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:58 am

westoelad wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Tim has done himself some good. I reckon Andy Flower has taken note.

Bresnan was playing as one of those who qualified on his PCA MVP rating and not a selectors choice as such. Flower will have noted that Bresnan was discarded some years ago because his bowing was no longer of International standard.Excellent county all rounder whose batting has improved since his international days. Can't see him troubling top batsman in the slightest with the ball

I don't actually want England to go back to players who did so poorly over a long period. It would be a long shot them going back to Tim. But then Broad was reselected after the year zero of 2015, so I'm not thinking it can't happen.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby rich1uk » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:18 am

good to see mark wood fit and playing again
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby westoelad » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:57 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
westoelad wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Tim has done himself some good. I reckon Andy Flower has taken note.

Bresnan was playing as one of those who qualified on his PCA MVP rating and not a selectors choice as such. Flower will have noted that Bresnan was discarded some years ago because his bowing was no longer of International standard.Excellent county all rounder whose batting has improved since his international days. Can't see him troubling top batsman in the slightest with the ball

I don't actually want England to go back to players who did so poorly over a long period. It would be a long shot them going back to Tim. But then Broad was reselected after the year zero of 2015, so I'm not thinking it can't happen.

England should certainly pick what they consider to be their strongest squad regardless of age or past failings-I'm old enough to remember Cyril Washbrook being recalled successfully in 1956 at 42 years of age. What Bresnan confirmed in the N-S series is that his batting has improved but bowling has declined.
And I can confirm for you,Arthur is you can expect your DCCC membership card for 2017 in the post in the next few days. Welcome aboard!
westoelad

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:01 pm

OK, thanks. I was wondering about that.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby westoelad » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:02 pm

rich1uk wrote:good to see mark wood fit and playing again

Indeed-the crucial factor is how his body has reacted in these last few days after playing
westoelad

Postby westoelad » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:29 am

Looks as if Tim himself has decided his England days are over. Big Interview in M on S in which he says he wants to spend time with his growing family which playing for England prevents. Has twice turned down invitations to tour with the Lions. Stops short of actually saying he's retired from Internationals but makes it clear he's not at all keen on a return.Can't blame him at all for that viewpoint.
westoelad

Postby alfie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:08 am

westoelad wrote:

Looks as if Tim himself has decided his England days are over. Big Interview in M on S in which he says he wants to spend time with his growing family which playing for England prevents. Has twice turned down invitations to tour with the Lions. Stops short of actually saying he's retired from Internationals but makes it clear he's not at all keen on a return.Can't blame him at all for that viewpoint.

Think it was pretty clear Bresnan wasn't going to be brought back to the national team ; his bowling slipped sharply down after injury setbacks , ruling him out of Tests ; and he'd be a way down the pecking order now for ODIs.
In fairness though he did a pretty good job when he was playing for England , except in his last few games . His figures were nothing special ; but he played a valuable role at a time when England hadn't found any genuine all rounders - I think he was one whose stats somewhat understated his contribution to the team. Certainly he played an important role in the (rare) Ashes success in Australia in 2010/11.
He was also quite the "good luck charm" ...didn't England go undefeated for his first dozen or so Test Matches ? Or actually won them all ? Can't remember exactly but sure it was a remarkable oddity of statistics...

Disclaimer : I am not related to our erstwhile correspondent , D/L. :)
alfie

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:02 am

He was never coming back as a Test player, but I thought he might get back in ODIs, if the present bowlers floundered. Seems to have unofficially ruled himself out though, as Westoe says.
Arthur Crabtree

Previous

Return to Domestic Cricket