Ashes warm ups, Nov 4-18

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: Ashes warm ups, Nov 4-18

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:08 am

Root warms up for the Test by getting out between 50-100.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:00 am

Another good knock from Crane, a man that a year ago didn't know which way round to hold the bat.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:26 pm

Two hundreds on the tour so far, both by the Ashes tour debutant bats. That is a little encouraging for England.

My guess is that after a couple of Tests, Root will be back at three and either Stokes or ZBGB will return.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby The Professor » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:35 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Another good knock from Crane, a man that a year ago didn't know which way round to hold the bat.

Have been very impressed with Crane with both bat and ball from what I've seen. One for the future.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:22 am

Not a good day with the ball for England to say the least. But a good day for Jake Ball.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:31 am

Not good at all.

Currently, the betting market has Australia at 1.4-1 to win, England at 4-1, and a drawn series at 9-1. Clearly the pundits and the bookies don't think it's going to be close...
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:39 pm

Another dropped catch for Crane today. He's had a few on this tour.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby The Professor » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:50 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Not a good day with the ball for England to say the least. But a good day for Jake Ball.

Don't think the day was as bad as people are making it out.

The MO would have been to not tire them out, to avoid injury and to keep themselves limber.

All this has been achieved.

Even if two young Ozzies end up looking better.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:08 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Another dropped catch for Crane today. He's had a few on this tour.

stonemercenary, I think
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby alfie » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:21 am

Can't say I'm all that bothered over the barren last day in the field in Townsville - except that it showed England won't want to be hoping for too much from their spinners on this trip ( at least having Moeen and Crane bowl virtually all day for 1 wicket should put an end to any silly notions of playing two spinners in a Test). Hopefully that long bowl will blow out Moeen's cobwebs ...pity he didn't get much of a hit with the bat.

Bit surprised to get the feeling England may still favour Ball over Overton for Brisbane : he may well be the better prospect - though his early Test record is hardly outstanding - but he's had virtually no lead-in bowling ; and Overton (even if he can't buy a run , or even a few balls at the crease !) has taken several wickets on tour and also bowled some very economical spells. Sure bowling to Warner and Smith will be a big step up ; but if he isn't worth a try when in apparently decent rhythm you have to wonder why he's in the party...

Not too shocked at the odds quoted above : bookies reflect the money they are having thrown at them and with Aussies generally a confident lot and England supporters (as heavily underlined by the voting on this site :) ) more given to the pessimistic end of the spectrum , you'd expect something like that. Won't mean a thing on Thursday morning.

I haven't voted on the prediction thread : I don't like hexing my teams ! But although I'd concede Australia will start favourites by virtue of being the home team (especially at the Gabba ) I really fancy this to be a contest , between two teams neither of which is the finished product , but each boasting some potential match winners. I gather the weather in Brisbane is said to be a bit unsettled this week so conditions might be more to the the tourists' liking than usual ...who knows ? With many Australians unhappy with the selections for the First Test may they have a chance to break the Curse of Brisbane dating back to 1986 ...at least you could say they're "due"...
alfie

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:25 am

looks like ECB want to make a deal with CA that one of the games has to be A game, with the 2nd best national team playing.
which is funny since something similar was said 4 years ago and nothing happened this time.
although it is funny how the coach and the players say they don't want to complain about the warm up games, yet they moan about it to the press they do realise it will still give the impression they are whiners.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:34 am

Also Another reason why I hate the Ashes why should only the Ashes get good warm up opposition and the others still substandard and awful preparation.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby alfie » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:43 am

Dr Cricket wrote:Also Another reason why I hate the Ashes why should only the Ashes get good warm up opposition and the others still substandard and awful preparation.

All series should have a decent lead up . I guess no one can force state/ county/ province to put out particular players ; but I do believe at least three first class games at the start of a tour should be an agreed minimum.

Not sure why this is a reason to "hate" the Ashes ?
alfie

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:58 am

it is really the point that ECB will send Strong opposition For Australia or CA will send strong teams for England but everyone else would get weaken opposition or pitches that have no bearing to what they be playing the Test matches on, why should only the Ashes get special treatment.
Although it does have to be seen if they will actually agree to it in the first place considering in 2013 they supposedly signed a deal for stronger warm up games yet nothing changed 4 yrs later.
""The ECB (England and Wales Cricket Board) is supportive of this plan. It wanted us to field a strong line-up, so we will use the opportunity to promote key players in the Australian system.
"In return, we look forward to the ECB fielding powerful teams for the touring Australian side in 2015."
Although maybe CA were not happy with the Warm up games in 2015 then.
Batting line up were quite good, although the bowlers were bad, Jesse Ryder was opening the bowling for Essex and most of the bowlers were medium pace.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby yuppie » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:43 am

I guess if England want better warm up matches in Aus, then they will have to provide them when Australia tour. Perhaps its best to lead by example on this?

My advice to people that hate the ashes, dont follow them, and don't comment on them. The ashes is a big deal for England and Australian supporters, so let them enjoy it.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches