The Ashes: Perth.

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: The Ashes: Perth.

Postby GarlicJam » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:
Hope they haven't brought his dad into the sledging, would be a low blow.

I reckon this is precisely what has been happening. Has nothing whatsoever to do with the Bancroft incident apparently

I really hope not. (and think not)

The Australian, and other teams, are often talking of the mythical (and moveable?) "line" that shan't be crossed. I don't think anyone would argue that sledging like that is well over that line.

However, in the interview I read (heard?) with Bairstow the other day, he was mostly fine with what was said on the field, but there WAS something he didn't detail, even though he said it wasn't untoward. He did not seem very concerned about what was said to him.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:52 pm

unconcerned enough to report it next time?
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:47 pm

maybe this is england now trying to play the off field games, they did say after brisbane that Australia beats them at the off field games.
pretty much strong rumers have been leaked or been past on to former england players about the sledging, prior said some personal stuff been said, willis on the ashes debate.
this is what bairstow said.
He also added that "some other things" were said at the time, which would stay in the middle. That followed Matt Prior's claims to BBC 5 Live earlier in the week that the England players were upset by what had gone on in Brisbane.

The unspoken implication is that, however much Steve Smith's Australians insist they do not "cross the line", England have reason to think that they did.

""Some other things, apart from the 'headbutt' business, were said by Australia in the middle but what they were is staying there. We move on. Hopefully it's gone now. I'm not making an issue of it. Only if they are said again would the matter go further. We just need to get on with trying to get back in this series."

"However, Prior, the former England wicketkeeper, claimed in a radio interview during the second Test that Australia had gone too far and the full story had yet to come out.

"There's a lot that's gone on that I think the England players are quite upset about - and rightfully from what I've heard," he said. "There's been a lot of chat on the pitch that hasn't got anything to do with cricket and frankly shouldn't be on a cricket pitch - stuff that hasn't come out, for various reasons.""

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:55 pm

Although like Yuppie said england do tend to moan or complain when receiving sledging but happy to do it when they are on top.
if anything I find when England sledge it isn't that great to watch since it is generally real and very heated for the wrong reason, essentially you feel both players or teams don't like each other whereas lets say when Australia or kohli etc sledge it is generally in the moment and few moment after they could be laughing or after the game getting on.
Dickwella recently was coming on the nerves on couple of players on the indian teams and some heated moments were seen but after the game or after the heated moment kohli, shami etc could be seen getting on with him and kohli even liked dickwella competitiveness and was complimentary about him.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:25 pm

Moeen also saying some personal stuff was said to Bairstow.
"Moeen condemned the personal nature of the remarks made to Bairstow, but admitted both sides were guilty of verbal abuse."

I am calling it as England trying to do what Australia did in the first test and try to win in the off field battle.
I be surprise if it was really personal since it would be acted on the first test and I highly doubt the behaviour so far will be that civilised.
if something was said that was out of order you expect Jadeja gate/ Symonds/harby level of controversy and not Bairstow saying well we not going to do anything about it unless they say it again and what ever was said will stay in the middle.
from that I get the impression Australia didn't push the line and england just trying to put pressure on Australia with the sledging.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:45 pm

Dr Cricket wrote:only 4 Away Test wins in the last 5 yrs for England.
England only won 4 games out of 20 since 2013.
3rd worst record away from home from all teams.
Most Away wins goes to Australia with India having the best win/loss ratio.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... s-problems

Good stats Doc.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:49 pm

yuppie wrote:It seems like England once again seem to complain when receiving the sledging, but call it fair and tough when they give it. I mean the cricketing world felt real pity for Jimmy Anderson when he complained about it.

All teams are the same, they all have personal views about where it is ok to stretch the rules/laws/spirit of the game. Whether chucking, sledging, appealing, pressuring the officials, sub fielders, etc. And once they cross that line they move the line and work out a way of justifying it.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:51 pm

Dr Cricket wrote:Moeen also saying some personal stuff was said to Bairstow.
"Moeen condemned the personal nature of the remarks made to Bairstow, but admitted both sides were guilty of verbal abuse."

Mo just seems a decent bloke who won't get involved in offensive behaviour. Clearly teams plan this sort of stuff (sadly) but it seems pretty likely that players can choose not to get involved. Cummins seems another who doesn't. At least he has that reputation.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby yuppie » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:04 am

Nice stats about the away wins.

For some reason i thought Australia would have the worse record. Surprised by that.
Last edited by yuppie on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Dr Cricket » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:15 am

TBH Australia did lose the most Away test though, so that is probably why you thought they would be worse.
but unlike England, Australia been winning in WI, Sri lanka, india, NZ so that is why they won more games than the rest although the win/loss ratio isn't that great.
most teams is around 0.5.
only india got 1.00 and that is likely to fall in next 12 months with south africa having an ratio of 0.88.

England record shocking though, barring that one series in South Africa they haven't looked like winning away from home and they were close to losing 2-0 to bangladesh.
Couldn't beat WI either away from home.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:52 am

Scoreboard for the warm up match. Runs for Jennings, placing himself for when Cook retires after Sydney. Next top score was Tom Curran, and aside from him, not great for those actually in the squad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO41920

I'd guess that's not WA's first XI.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:34 am

The away stats indicate a completely flawed picture of the last 5 years achievements, should you add in a minuscule amount of supporting information. To take it simply, in the last 5 calendar years (which is the period suggested, yet weirdly the stats clearly dont include series in this period probably because it doesnt support certain bias) if we were to compare India and England's test match performances with regards to the current strengths of teams based on the ICC rankings......

England have beaten the top ranked team away (India) in a series, have beaten the 2nd ranked team away in a series (SA), have not lost a test to the 4th ranked team (NZ, ENG are ranked 3rd, 3 drawn tests), and had no victories against the 5th ranked team (Australia).

In contrast, India have lost their only series in South Africa, lost their only series in England, lost their only series in New Zealand, and lost their only series in Australia...... with 1 test victory in 14 matches, and at least 3 drawn test by memory they were well behind in (didnt South Africa come within a boundary of beating them in that 1st test in SA, for instance? And Australia have them 7 down and nowhere near targets in 2nd innings twice in the OZ series before time ran out?)

I know which is more impressive.

India do very well away to the three worst teams, which is where all but 1 victory in these stats come from.

I know which effort is more historically prestigious
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:49 am

As for the Bairstow thing, it does strike me that England are always ill prepared for what Australia throw at them on away tours, and it surprises me. I wrote an article on here that celebrated the way Australia make their own nest a hostile place to be (in 2013), they just do it so well; England on the other hand have that public schoolboy bully mentality, where they can give a lot, but go running to mummy as soon as they get come back. They always seem surprised the Aussies push the boundaries or play good mind games, and that always gives the feeling quite openly that they work.

Fight back. Next time the Aussie openers stroll out, run 50 yards to remind Dave Warner you enjoyed the video of Sonny Bill nailing his wife in a public toilet.... or that shes had more pricks than a dartboard. Say it in a press conference, I am sure that would be the last time we seen Davy play a forward defensive in the series.....
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby yuppie » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:55 am

Would that be a good thing for England though? He might have a Gilly type reply to some personal sledging.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby sussexpob » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:59 am

yuppie wrote:Would that be a good thing for England though? He might have a Gilly type reply to some personal sledging.

Could say that with all sledging. The object is to get into peoples head and make them change their approach. He he came out and scored 200 in 100 balls, it kind of means its worked.

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches