The Ashes: Perth.

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: The Ashes: Perth.

Postby GarlicJam » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:11 pm

sussexpob wrote:
yuppie wrote:Would that be a good thing for England though? He might have a Gilly type reply to some personal sledging.

Could say that with all sledging. The object is to get into peoples head and make them change their approach. He he came out and scored 200 in 100 balls, it kind of means its worked.

and that would be a good thing because.......?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Dr Cricket » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:43 pm

That not the current England teams achievement, barring sa they all successes from the past England team and not the current team.
Plus I didn’t come up with the stats cricinfo did.
What ever way you look at it 4 wins in the last 5 years is poor.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Dr Cricket » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:48 pm

The point of the article was really on cook and root poor away numbers.
Cook averages around low 20 away from home last few away tours.
Root 41 but for someone that quality and starts should be getting hundreds especially to make up the fact other batsman in the team will be avaraging low 20s- mid 30s away from home because of the fragile batting line up.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby sussexpob » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:48 pm

GarlicJam wrote: and that would be a good thing because.......?

I think you are missing the point, somewhat. The generally accepted idea is that sledging a player alters their mindset, resulting in them adapting their game against their own better judgement in most ideal case scenarios. If Warner was to react to the sledging by going out with a mindset of slogging the hell out of everything, the plan to alter his mindset would have worked, regardless of the result. It wouldnt matter how he performed or the net result.

If I were to get you drunk out of your head, and get you to bet your house and savings on rolling 6 straight 6's on a dice, would my plan have been foolish had you then gone and done it, despite the fact that the probability of such an outcome favours me 117,000 times to 1? No, of course not. Id be an incredibly rich man if I replayed that scenario in any greater frequency than one occurrence, with the average expected result incredibly stacked in my favour to the point its comfortably easy to say that any repeated scenario on similar odds is an impossibility that it ever works well for you. You are essentially infering that the only incidents of good and solid judgement are exclusively ones that have perfect outcomes, and do not take into account intangibles such as luck.

It would generally be accepted that a batsman looking to hit every ball for 6 in a test would be a negative, and lead overtime to getting far less value for each wicket.

So yes, the plan would work.
Last edited by sussexpob on Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Dr Cricket » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:51 pm

Also that article was looking at England number since the last ashes tour and since then England only won 4 away test and lost 20 they not really much you can spin to make that look great.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby sussexpob » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Dr Cricket wrote:Also that article was looking at England number since the last ashes tour and since then England only won 4 away test and lost 20 they not really much you can spin to make that look great.

You specifically said "in the last 5 years", so make your mind up. Despite the stats, England have beaten South Africa in a series away in this period.

Ill ask a very simple question for you..... are you seriously suggesting beating the current Sri Lankan or West Indies team away from home is more impressive than beating South Africa? Because thats essentially where the difference in performance comes down to.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby sussexpob » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:16 pm

It seems a ridiculous comparison to make either way. All of Indias recent tours have been to the three worst ranked teams for short tours. England have played far tougher tours recently, and longer ones too.

sussexpob

Postby mikesiva » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:22 pm

Another player gets into trouble in a pub in Perth. Ben Duckett this time.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby GarlicJam » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:35 pm

sussexpob wrote:
GarlicJam wrote: and that would be a good thing because.......?

I think you are missing the point, somewhat.

I don't think so.

It is all about the result, not the perceived result.

eg: Aus players NOW know that sledging Kholi is counter-productive. Why, because it alters his mindset.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby GarlicJam » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:38 pm

Dr Cricket, your sig claims to be "anti-Ashes", but I reckon it is far more anti-England, looking at all of the negative England posts you have made this past month or so - or is that a standard?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby meninblue » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:18 pm

This long gap between the two tests must be making a lot of fans impatient. Yes, there is a warm-up so that England get used to but should not all warm-ups finish before the main action starts. All warmups played before the starting test will definitely help the touring team, however it seems that a lot of England players are not interested in this warmup even though the team is 0-2 behind. Moeen Ali is playing, why are the other out of form players not participating. :?:
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby yuppie » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:23 pm

This warm up match is a chance for Wood to prove himself worthy of a place in the next test. Going to need some wickets soon.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:28 pm

One series win for England in the round of away series clearly isn't good (and it includes a draw in BD) though it's in a context of teams generally underperforming away from home. But Cook and Root don't have poor averages away from ENgland in that period (which I'm happy to accept as the lifespan of the present team). Root averages over 50 and Cook nearly 40 which is adequate for an opener. But, not enough tons for either.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... pe=batting

These are the games won away from home. You have to ignore Pakistan because their away from home is a fortress neutral venue. But it's debatable how much this means as the Asian countries hav the advantaged of playing away from home in their own continent, which England (and others) don't have.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... ;type=team

What were the really impressive away wins in this period? Probably SA winning in Australia and England winning in SA. And NZ drawing in UAE. England and SA have had among the worst away tours as well, particularly in India.

Hard to draw conclusions. But India have the opportunity to confirm their status as the best in the next year.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby meninblue » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:41 pm

Seems like Trevor Bayliss is fed up.

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/98893/the-ashes-2017-18-australia-vs-england-cricket-ben-duckett-trevor-bayliss-threatens-to-drop-players-for-off-field-antics

"I might review who is in the team. Can't keep making the same mistakes," Bayliss, England's head coach, told reporters on Saturday. "Most of the guys are fine ... some guys have to pull their head in. I'm here to coach the team and I end up spending most of my time in front of cameras trying to explain some behaviour that the boys have been warned about.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby yuppie » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:42 pm

He probably has a point. Tough to manage so many incidents.

Wonder if we shall hear from Straus?
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches