The Ashes; Melbourne

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

The Ashes; Melbourne

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:14 pm

With the urn safely back in the hands of its rightful owner, the series moves to the world's most liveable city. Day 1 is already a sell out, and the chances are, huge crowds will be seen for each day of action, as the home crowd collectively foams at the mouth over the prospect of seeing the continuation of the mauling currently taking place of the old enemy.

The Aussies have not surprisingly named an unchanged squad, whilst the English selectors continue their tradition of shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic!

I'll be at Boxing Day, and possibly the other two and a half days this public flogging is likely to take. Bring it on! ;)
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Re: The Ashes; Melbourne

Postby KipperJohn » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:12 pm

Certainly right about Melbourne f_t_s. Are you meeting anyone under the clocks?

Enjoy - and may the best team win :)
KipperJohn

Postby meninblue » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:27 am

from_the_stands wrote:With the urn safely back in the hands of its rightful owner, the series moves to the world's most liveable city.

Haha. Wondering how many Ashes series have been played and number of Ashes series won by Australia and England. and drawn series.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:26 am

Australia lead by 1.
it is 38-37 I believe could be wrong though haven't seen the figures till the start of the ashes.

Edit so wrong was 33-32 in Australia favour been 5 drawn series as well.

in terms of test Australia lead by 133-106.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby KipperJohn » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:45 am

Could well be wrong but I thought the MCC owned the Ashes and dolled out a replica to the winners?
KipperJohn

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:47 am

yeah MCC keep the ashes, although not sure about the owned part they just keep it in the muesum and say the urn is too fragile to travel around the world so a replica is given to both teams when they win the ashes.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:19 am

Yeah, that's actually true. They're kept in a glass cabinet in Lord's. I've visited them on several occasions, but only when the Aussies were the "holders." I couldn't bring myself to look at them in 2005. I did drop in for a visit a couple of years later.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:21 am

KipperJohn wrote:Certainly right about Melbourne f_t_s. Are you meeting anyone under the clocks?

I'm going with some friends. I'm hoping to go to a few days. We'll see how the body is holding up. A Smith Century and/or England collapse should get me through.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby yuppie » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:49 am

from_the_stands wrote:
KipperJohn wrote:Certainly right about Melbourne f_t_s. Are you meeting anyone under the clocks?

I'm going with some friends. I'm hoping to go to a few days. We'll see how the body is holding up. A Smith Century and/or England collapse should get me through.

After cricket drinks at the Mount View? Used to live 2 doors down from that pub. Last time i was in Melbourne i went in for a cheecky pint, and they had renovated an amazing upstairs section. Great views of Melbourne and beyond.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby sussexpob » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:10 am

from_the_stands wrote:the series moves to the world's most liveable city

Isnt that a tag that about 30 cities hold from various studies? I know the economist one, which Melbourne always wins, is rated on some pretty daft system which compares how cities rate to New York, and uses a simple "is it as acceptable" scale. So as long as city is not a mega-metropolis, has a concert hall, a public transport system that is better than New York (which in my experience, is pretty much everywhere) and cheaper than the most expensive place in the world, you score 100%.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:43 am

lol KP thinks he can still play for england.
from this showing he his worse than cook and will be a laughing stock in the ashes if he played at the moment.
KP said the gabba was a slow deck when their were bowling and now he suddenly making the pitch look quick.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:54 pm

from_the_stands wrote:Yeah, that's actually true. They're kept in a glass cabinet in Lord's. I've visited them on several occasions, but only when the Aussies were the "holders." I couldn't bring myself to look at them in 2005. I did drop in for a visit a couple of years later.

They were in Melbourne in 2006. That's the only time I've seen them. They were in the museum with a lot of other memorabilia.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby yuppie » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:05 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
from_the_stands wrote:Yeah, that's actually true. They're kept in a glass cabinet in Lord's. I've visited them on several occasions, but only when the Aussies were the "holders." I couldn't bring myself to look at them in 2005. I did drop in for a visit a couple of years later.

They were in Melbourne in 2006. That's the only time I've seen them. They were in the museum with a lot of other memorabilia.

So they let it go to Australia, as long as Australia are not holding them? That's cruel on so many levels..
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:48 pm

Typical arrogant Blighty provocation.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:17 pm

Must have gone over for the centenary Test I would have thought.
Arthur Crabtree

Next

Return to Live Cricket Matches