There may be troubles ahead: England selection issues.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: There may be troubles ahead: England selection issues.

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:05 pm

Pretty dire conditions in the first round for batting, so not much opportunity for the main contenders to put their hands up. Vince made a 70 which I think was the only score of note from those likely in the hat. Jennings and Triple L both have chances tomorrow to make a score against Notts.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby sussexpob » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:29 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:Pretty dire conditions in the first round for batting, so not much opportunity for the main contenders to put their hands up. Vince made a 70 which I think was the only score of note from those likely in the hat. Jennings and Triple L both have chances tomorrow to make a score against Notts.

The press jumped on one innings from Vince, but it seems by all accounts it was a bit of a slog, not the type of innings that is going to reverse a belief that hes always one shot away from being dismissed.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Slipstream » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:16 am

Surely we can't carry on with the squads we took to Australia and NZ? I can just see Bayliss saying we are playing the same players again against Pakistan and same results, losing to Pakistan and India. The selectors should pick the team without Bayliss and Root's input. Wonder who is going to be the new selector? :scared

Cook (if he gets 100s at Essex)
X
X
Root
X
Stokes
Bairstow
X
Broad
Leach
Anderson
Slipstream

Postby Slipstream » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:25 am

Slipstream

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:18 pm

Sussex not going to be happy.
Andy flower in line to be the new selector of england.
not reliable sources though because it comes from charles sale.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:33 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricke ... ector.html
looks like nothing going to change for england, they becoming more like pakistan by picking the same old crap failures again and again and again and then wonder why they are so bad.

legit the only thing for them to go 100% pakistan is if they senior players run the show and them being so good one day and so *modded* the next day, plus the player are stupid in terms of PR and or some dressing roof rifts, Theresa may controlling the cricket team and the selectors picking their relatives or besties as well.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Slipstream » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:53 am

He selects the Lions.

See his selection something like Cook,Jennings Vince Root Ballance Stokes Bairstow Dawson Woakes Broad Anderson :mrgreen:
Slipstream

Postby SaintPowelly » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:22 am

sussexpob wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:Pretty dire conditions in the first round for batting, so not much opportunity for the main contenders to put their hands up. Vince made a 70 which I think was the only score of note from those likely in the hat. Jennings and Triple L both have chances tomorrow to make a score against Notts.

The press jumped on one innings from Vince, but it seems by all accounts it was a bit of a slog, not the type of innings that is going to reverse a belief that hes always one shot away from being dismissed.

Not true at all, he just played positively and the Worcester bowlers couldn’t work out how to bowl at him. Got quite a lot of deliveries that were short and wide that he punished, the back that got him out nipped back quite nicely.

It was Berg that played the slogging 75
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby westoelad » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:35 am

Contradictory reports in the press regarding transnational selector post. Times reporting that Ed Smith will be appointed, the Mail Andy Flower. Times report appears to be the more authentic. A full-time independent selector and 12 regional scouts will also be announced this week.
westoelad

Postby westoelad » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:21 am

SaintPowelly wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

Not true at all, he just played positively and the Worcester bowlers couldn’t work out how to bowl at him. Got quite a lot of deliveries that were short and wide that he punished, the back that got him out nipped back quite nicely.

It was Berg that played the slogging 75

Whether it was slogging or positive strokeplay, a run a ball 70+ is simply a cameo in the context of a No3 position in text cricket. Vince either can't or won't adapt his game to the requirements of test cricket which is good news for both England and Hampshire.
westoelad

Postby westoelad » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:31 pm

westoelad wrote:Contradictory reports in the press regarding transnational selector post. Times reporting that Ed Smith will be appointed, the Mail Andy Flower. Times report appears to be the more authentic. A full-time independent selector and 12 regional scouts will also be announced this week.

BBC confirming Smith. Clearly a very intelligent guy with a double first in History from Cambridge,ex test cricketer and County captain and currently cricket journalist and TMS commentator. Can't think of anyone better qualified.
westoelad

Postby m@tt » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:56 pm

Not an inspiring shortlist...

Flower - he's been involved with England/ECB for a decade now, we need a fresh face
Selvey - was a good journalist, his last few years at the G were pretty awful though, with him suddenly developing a disdain for people BTL ("what do you know" etc)
Pringle - easy to mock as a cricketer (though I'm sure he's
Newell - probably guilty by association with Whitaker?

Ed Smith then... I don't really have an opinion on his TMS work. But his articles... wow they're bad! He waffles on, often failing to make a point. With pretentious references to ancient literature or Bob Dylan songs thrown in, rarely with any relevance to the article. Also got caught plagiarising in one of his articles, and managed to criticise the Death of a Gentleman film. I don't particularly like the phrase "establishment", it's thrown around very easily, but I'm tempted... On the other hand he is very, very smart.

Hmmm... maybe he'll be good? The above isn't particularly relevant to his selecting ability. But it's not encouraging either. I was more hoping for the likes of Rob Key, Mark Butcher or Steve Harmison to be interviewed. Fresher faces who have come across well on Sky with their analysis.
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:51 pm

Couldn't agree more about Smith's writing. How did he get a gig? He's a bland but not particularly irritating commentator. He's ok at supporting the others but you don't get any insight. Vaughan is the cricket-smart man in the box on TMS. Got a feeling Harmi would be ok. What he says is spot on, except he's not great at saying it. Maybe he needs to do more elsewhere, but then Smith doesn't seem to have done much. Butch would be ok.

Flower would have been such an unpopular selection. Selvey's too old*. Pringle didn't come across well as a journo.

*can't remember if I've mentioned this, forgive me if I have. On a below the line pre-tour discussion with Selvey I remember making a point about Monty's bowling, adding that my mate had been on a recent tour of Sri Lanka and he agreed. Selvey didn't agree and added rather tartly that he'd played to a high level. I typed out a reply that my mate only played in the Yorkshire League but I'd take his word because at least he was a batter. But bottled sending it. Always wish I had when Selvey's name comes up.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:11 pm

Selvey was just one of those people that seemed desperate to remind people of his importance, while in parallel his influence and respect as a writer plummet. HE essentially became a mouthpiece for the ECB, and seemed bizarrely a cross of extremely bitter/extremely proud of that fact.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:11 am

Cricinfo confirming Ed Smith as well. I really have no idea if he'd be any good. Time will tell I guess.

I might have liked to see them try Vaughan - I tend to like his analysis in the press/TMS - he seems well in tune with what's needed. But I think he rubs some people up the wrong way.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket