County Championship 2018 Chat Thread.

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: County Championship 2018 Chat Thread.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:51 am

Maybe just trying to justify the action of giving players passes to the IPL after one of the worst winters in memory for England, rather than believing that this is true.

If I really thought Strauss, Farbrace and Bayliss believed that, I'd wonder if they were in the right job.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:24 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Maybe just trying to justify the action of giving players passes to the IPL after one of the worst winters in memory for England, rather than believing that this is true.

If I really thought Strauss, Farbrace and Bayliss believed that, I'd wonder if they were in the right job.

TBH it was strauss that persuaded players to play IPL and it became into public knowledge couple of weeks ago that strauss and ECB personally paid billings last year to play in the ipl, he was signed for 30K to play for one franchise and was making a loss playing the competition when you considering he has to pay his wages back to kent and other fees so ecb just paid what he was losing out on back to him.

Farbrace was the one that said recently roy got a very good chance of playing for england this year.
Last edited by Dr Cricket on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby westoelad » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:35 am

Essex kicking off about lack of action by Yorkies. Conspiracy theory of damage done to drainage during building work.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/esse ... d7486c8901
westoelad

Postby Alviro Patterson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:47 pm

westoelad wrote:Essex kicking off about lack of action by Yorkies. Conspiracy theory of damage done to drainage during building work.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/esse ... d7486c8901

Ten Doeschate accepted that conditions were not fit but he said: “I don’t want to get myself into trouble, but we keep getting told about Test and division one grounds [with better drainage]. To come here, I understand they’ve had a lot of rain but we haven’t seen a drop in the 30-odd hours we’ve spent at the ground. It’s not fit, but we haven’t seen any work going on – no Super Sopper on, no forking.

“I don’t understand why there has been a drive for them to preserve their outfield. What’s the fear with creating mud when they don’t have another game here until Friday? Fair enough if they’d given it a good crack and I’d seen guys out there working around the clock. You can accept that. That would be my only gripe.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... ampionship

Might have stopped raining on Friday morning, but 20mm fell on Thursday on top of already saturated land. After attending the Bradford v Shrewsbury game on Thursday evening (played on a saturated pitch), I thought it was pointless going to Headingley the next day because everywhere is sopping wet and temperatures were just too oppressed, even to dry laundry let alone a cricket field.

Maybe Yorkshire's groundstaff didn't want to touch the affected area because Headingley is hosting a test match in six weeks time. Headingley does not have the largest of outfields and every bit of pitch is used for international matches.

If Essex were so keen on playing, why didn't they offer to reverse the fixtures? The weather would have been a lot better in Chelmsford for starters.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:33 pm

Looking on the bright side from the Essex point of view, they were saved from a frightful thrashing.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby westoelad » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:49 pm

Arthur's is a bit premature in dismissing the impact of the new stand on pitch conditions. To what extent will a tall new structure influence access of wind and Sun to what is already a vulnerable area?
Pity there wasn't any play on Monday. If conditions had been anything like those on the other side of the Pennines we might well have seen a positive result :clap
westoelad

Postby andy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:26 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Looking on the bright side from the Essex point of view, they were saved from a frightful thrashing.

:facepalm

i won't bite, but was a bit miffed about the lack of action by groundsman, however yes Essex could have offered to swap the fixture around, weather wasn't much better...bloody beautiful here now though ;)
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:54 am

Yorks v Notts
Surrey v Hants
Somers v Worcs
Essex v Lancs

N'hants v Worcs
Leics v Sussex
Gloucs v Glam
Durham v Kent
Derbys v Middx

Everyone playing today. Interesting games, with Essex playing fancied title rivals Lancashire and touted winners Surrey and Hants meeting. The other two games have more of a look of the lower half of the table. But who knows with the CC.

Presumably Headingley has dried up with the record busting heat wave and will be ready totake on early season winners Notts. Ben Coad will be fit after being ruled out against Essex. This is the twelve available for selection. Lyth/Lees/Pujara/Ballance/Leaning/Brook/Bresnan/Hodd/Waite/Coad/Shaw/Brooks. No spinner in the squad.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:24 am

No hundreds and only four fifties in the first round of games in CC1! And only one fifty not scored by a Hampshire player. Both the 5-fers were by Notts bowlers.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:52 am

Yorkshire leave out Waite and are already two down. Almost everyone is two down. I was expecting the high summer weather would make batting easier this week.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:54 pm

Matt Renshaw is the first to a CC1 ton this season.

Looks a poor day for Yorkshire, but unlikely to be clear how good/bad that score is until both sides have batted. Hodd has just passed fifty, so looks like it's easing up with an older ball.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:52 pm

Haseeb-watch- 8 today caught behind off Porter v Essex.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:43 pm

Excellent fightback for Yorks today, from the lower order bats and the new ball bowlers.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:41 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Matt Renshaw is the first to a CC1 ton this season.

Looks a poor day for Yorkshire, but unlikely to be clear how good/bad that score is until both sides have batted. Hodd has just passed fifty, so looks like it's easing up with an older ball.

Yorkshire born Matt Renshaw, to be precise :halo:
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:50 am

Forgot to say!

Ishant Sharma 31* currently. That must be frustrating for the Leics bowlers (and the Grace Road faithful, if there are any).
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket