Best fast bowlers in Test format in Indian Cricket history

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Best fast bowlers in Test format in Indian Cricket histo

Postby bigfluffylemon » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:27 am

sussexpob wrote:
Zaheer was top class, skill-wise but i think he lacked the ability to take 5 fers. He imo underperformed in that aspect. Being the spear head of the Indian pace attack for long time, this aspect was expected from him. Having said that he is one of India's best pacer.

I think for a very short period of about 2 years, Zaheer was as you say, a highly skilled operator who seemed to learn how to use the seam in different ways and how to really prize a batsman from the crease by using his ability to move the ball both ways. I could never fathom how he burned so bright for such a small amount of time though, either side of that he was a very ordinary bowler, especially at the end where he lost pace and lost the ability to think a batsman out, and was just throwing down half paced rubbish. It was a shame, he really seemed to have gained an understanding about his craft.

Wasn't he man of the series v England in 2007? He was excellent then.

According to the stats he had what could be termed a three-phase career, exactly as you state. 2000-2005 was pretty ordinary. 2006-2011 he was excellent (barring a blip in 2008), then from 2012 to his retirement he fell away dramatically.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Previous

Return to International Cricket